Critter & Guitari Organelle (never selling!)

Technobear and Shreeswifty are legends!!!

Couldn’t agree more!

This is cool af, I was kinda wanting an ETC, now I kinda have one :stuck_out_tongue:

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed by this little box...
I have not clicked with it like I had with the Pocket Piano.
It's a pity there are so few knobs, but I'll plug my QuNeo to offer a bit more interaction.
I have the intention to open @thetechnobear's patches and add a few LFO, for starters.
And maybe offer more interaction by using half of the keyboard for quick access to menus.

Damn, I was really looking forward to have a powerful weapon of sorts, and I just feel restrained by the 4 knobs + 1 button interaction, what a pity !

That’s why I’ve ordered a Nanokontrol! :slight_smile:

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed by this little box...
I have not clicked with it like I had with the Pocket Piano.
It's a pity there are so few knobs, but I'll plug my QuNeo to offer a bit more interaction.
I have the intention to open @thetechnobear's patches and add a few LFO, for starters.
And maybe offer more interaction by using half of the keyboard for quick access to menus.

Damn, I was really looking forward to have a powerful weapon of sorts, and I just feel restrained by the 4 knobs + 1 button interaction, what a pity !

Takes a while to get in to mate :wink: Thats pretty standard ‘week 1’ organelle vibes. It’s definitely not a ‘get back from the store and instant mind blown’ or even instant connection kind of box. You need to find the patches that you personally click with :wink: When you do you’ll be hooked. You need to grab all of Shreeswifty stuff for sure if haven’t already. Goldmine!

Each patch can work very differently to others, depending on the decisions the coder made. Like sampling might be on a different button (or footswitch is normally best if you have one?) or sequencer might work totally differently to the last one you tried. When you find something you like it’s sometimes kind of like learning a new pedal or instrument for every patch. And there are hundreds :wink:

But yeah, wish it had more knobs for sure. I kind of hate the interface overall. Scroll with knob and click feels fiddly. Wooden keys. I got used to it tho.

You auditioned through patches with op1 plugged in? That’s the dreamteam for me :wink:

Totally feels like it would be totally another instrument with the right knobby interface (rather than a keyboard)
Charm of it comes from its infinite versatility. I just can’t understand why there is only ONE Aux button. Even Pocket Piano had two of them.

And 4 knobs, not even encoders !! Total UX fail !

I love it that I know I should be able to tweak any patch and do what pleases me with this little box, but I hate having to plug extra controllers. Feels like a computer, where is the fun ?

Anyway, I have 10 days to try it and see where I can bring it…

I agree, the UI was a big disappointment. But the rest is gold. =)

Totally feels like it would be totally another instrument with the right knobby interface (rather than a keyboard)
Charm of it comes from its infinite versatility. I just can't understand why there is only ONE Aux button. Even Pocket Piano had two of them.
And 4 knobs, not even encoders !! Total UX fail !

I love it that I know I should be able to tweak any patch and do what pleases me with this little box, but I hate having to plug extra controllers. Feels like a computer, where is the fun ?

Anyway, I have 10 days to try it and see where I can bring it...

FWIW I’ve never attached a controller to mine yet and have had a TON of fun on it :wink: Every time I turn it on I end up somewhere cool that I’d not planned on :wink:

Spend a day downloading and organising patches in to folders of fx/synth/sampler/sample player/generative/sequencer etc. Go to bed hating it and calling it an awkward computer. Wake up next day (and have other gear around to run through the fx and/or sample in to it) and switch it on and it’ll feel like a different box :wink:

Yeah the UX is always gonna be it’s achilles heel but there’s an update coming where all params across multiple page patches will be midi controllable. Problem solved maybe if current UX is a total dealbreaker for you. And in the meantime you can explore which patches you like to use. It took me WEEKS to get through them all and give each one a fair go…and then longer to fully explore my favourites (still haven’t tbh). And I still haven’t even thrown any user samples in to the sample player patches (need to import to folders… Never got round to it) .

It doesn’t feel any more like a computer to me than when I’m programming something like my Timeline or similar.

I’d probably keep mine even if it only had my 5 favourite patches :wink:

thinking this might be my next toy . . . what is the infinite jets patch you’re talking about? Is it based off the pedal?

thinking this might be my next toy . . . what is the infinite jets patch you're talking about? Is it based off the pedal?

Yep:

http://forum.critterandguitari.com/t/infinite-jets-emulation-update/1867/22

Thing, is, I have ideas I want to try on this little fella.

Like playing with wavetables, or simple additive synthesis…
I even know how to make use of the different knobs and buttons.

But as is, after having browsed all the patches, I’m a bit disappointed.

Anyway, what you all tell here let me think it can still grow on me, I’ll give it the time it deserves.
:slight_smile:

thinking this might be my next toy . . . what is the infinite jets patch you're talking about? Is it based off the pedal?

Yep:

http://forum.critterandguitari.com/t/infinite-jets-emulation-update/1867/22

nice!

I’m still waiting on mine, but from the outside, and having a four-knobbed OP-1, I’m not minding the interface… But I haven’t sat down with it yet.

I just remember over a decade ago when I got a super knobby controller to use with Reaktor and that whole experiment didn’t really go anywhere :slight_smile:

We’ll see how it goes when it finally arrives.

Thing, is, I have ideas I want to try on this little fella.
Like playing with wavetables, or simple additive synthesis...
I even know how to make use of the different knobs and buttons.

But as is, after having browsed all the patches, I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyway, what you all tell here let me think it can still grow on me, I'll give it the time it deserves.
:)

All the patches? Even the ones on patchstorage.com? There are quite a lot there.

I think you’ll need to spend some time programming it before it gives you back what you want from it.

One thing I would suggest, and this goes for anyone disappointed by the few parameters. Instead of looking at it like you’re building a synth, look at it like you’re patching one. You usually only need a few parameters to control the expression/sound while playing (I usually map modwheel and aftertouch, and maybe do things in response to velocity.)

This can change your patch programming workflow, since, say you’re doing a subtractive patch with lots of modulation, no need to dive into the mod matrix, just wire it up. And if you’re messing with pitch, no need to guess at what values are going to land you at the right frequency, you can scale everything to match your intentions. For example, on the DM12 I had a tricky situation getting the right amount of noise flowing through the filter. On low notes I wanted the noise to be louder, but with keytracking on the filter and the fact that noise sounds at all frequencies, more sound from noise gets through the filter on higher notes, add to that frequency scales exponentially. So not only did I have to scale the noise volume down based on note number (linear), I had to account for the filter opening (exponentially), plus the attenuation I wanted in higher notes, this made a mess of my mod matrix and it’s still not quite right. With pd, I could just enter the scalings more or less directly without having to game the mod matrix.

But of course there are other synthesis modes too. There is a really clever physical modeling synth, but I wish they’d broken it up into different models to avoid the parameter overload. Still, there would probably be a lot of parameters, since physical modeling has a huge space.

Yes, I was talking about C&G patches + obvious TheTechnoBear’s :wink:
Just expressing my relative disappointment of the first contact…
But I like to think I have an open mind…

Shreeshwifty’s patches and knowledge are crazy too but I think he mighta done a bunch of acid before because his posts are hard to understand

He and technobear basically saved the instrument tho and shree says it is the best fx unit in the market
Pretty true as long as ur into it

My biggest issue is always switching back and forth wether it is a synth or an effect
Not to mention my patch organization is garbage

Yes, I was talking about C&G patches + obvious TheTechnoBear’s ;) Just expressing my relative disappointment of the first contact... But I like to think I have an open mind...

I was mostly ‘these are kind of fun but not really something I’ll use’ with those patches too. Need to go through Shreeswiftys posts on the forum and grab all his patches. 90% of what I use most on organelle is from that guy :wink: Also hit patchstorage.com too for some good stuff from other people. Some of Shreeswifty’s patches are on there too, but not all…

Allright, now we’re talking.

Thanks, friends !
:slight_smile:

@anomalous share your thoughts on Organelle please :slight_smile:

The organelle is my secret weapon. :slight_smile: I run the OP1 through it’s FX patches most of the time. The mutable stuff is great too, and Shreeshwifty is worth supporting on Patreon, he’s a lovely generous man. I bought the organelle and sold it twice before getting and sticking with the third. pd is overwhelming, but with a bit of love, it’s great to build what you really want. Between the organell and VCV rack I’m not really using hardware modular anymore.