Critter & Guitari Organelle (never selling!)

v2.0 now with modulation:

– sine wave lfo on each channel (0.1 to 20Hz)
– mod amount on each channel
– global midi resolution (pseudo sample & hold)
– my favourite feature – led colour matches the destination!

Lots more to come. :slight_smile:
(variable waveshapes, envelopes, lfo triggering, midi sync, etc)

Has anybody got an Organelle and an Axoloti? How do they compare? I mean that in terms of power and actual quality of output, not physical format/price/patching environment (which are very different)

I have an Ax and I’m starting to really dig it, but often hitting the CPU limit quite quickly

Thanks @ghostly606, this is great! Will try it tonight.

Has anybody got an Organelle and an Axoloti? How do they compare? I mean that in terms of power and actual quality of output, not physical format/price/patching environment (which are very different)

I have an Ax and I’m starting to really dig it, but often hitting the CPU limit quite quickly

I have both, but haven’t hit the limits on either yet. I do have an intuition about where the Axoloti’s limits are though.

I’m working on a very involved patch for the Organelle. It requires some learnin’ (not just pd, but dsp too) so progress is kinda slow. I expect I’ll have a brush with the limitations at some point and I can report back then. For technical details, the Organelle runs a 1GHz Cortex A9 with 512MB RAM, and the Axoloti runs a 168MHz STM32F427 with 8MB RAM. That’s a huge difference, but keep in mind the Organelle is running a Linux OS, and they even have their own “mother” puredata patch which is basically providing runtime services for user patches.

Another aspect is the Axoloti patcher is basically a node editor for a C++ program. Once you’re done, the patch is complied down to machine code specifically for the processor, so it is probably a lot more efficient than pd patches, even ignoring the fact that Axoloti doesn’t have an operating system running. Overwall, the two beasts are very different, despite both being programmed with node editors.

@anomalous yeah I’m a little more brutish when it comes to patching - my coding skills are pretty minimal so it’s 100% just connecting the already-made objects for me. Not sure if I’m willing to go down the full DSP-coding route as it just takes away from making cool sounds for me!

@millbastard I just use the premade objects too, but the whole thing is still compiled down to machine code on Axoloti. The patcher is really fancy :slight_smile: and takes the connected objects and spits out code. The whole thing goes through the compiler, including optimizations etc. You can write your own objects, but I don’t bother since most of the useful ones I’m skilled enough to write have been written.

This brings up a good point though, pd is more low-level. Axoloti has objects for oscillators and filters and all that, and you can pretty much wire up your favourte synthesizer based on the schematics on the front panel. pd is a little more low-level, and you’ll need to build your own oscillators, filters, and so on a lot of the time. You still do it by wiring up objects together, but for example you can use a dozen objects to model a single oscillator. DSP knowledge comes in handy when thinking about how your designs are going to work together.

you'll need to build your own oscillators, filters, and so on a lot of the time.

To avoid this you can actually set up a library of commonly used “modules” in Pd which you can have sitting on your USB stick / SD card ready to be called upon later. These objects can be your own or stuff you’ve copied from other patches and can have controllers, etc included or simply a number of inlets or outlets. I’m currently making a library (also called abstractions) of basic oscillators which I plan to re-use in future patches.

I think there are a couple of things on PatchStorage for Organelle that use that PD “Modular System” library Automationism that’s kindof like BEAP or Oscillot for Max or Reaktor Blocks.

https://www.automatonism.com/

For those already rocking the Organelle, I’ve posted a “radio” sample player on Patch Storage, inspired by the eurorack module Radio Music. Grab it here:

https://patchstorage.com/r_d-m_s_c-a-k-a-mtm-radio-music/

I hope to have something cool up for Organelle soon. I’m trying a different take on FM, and the results so far are promising. Very full sounds out of a 2-operator configuration (using plain cosine waves), even at low frequencies. I intend to steal a trick from the Digitone and add richer operators and filters. Plus the usual LFO and so on. Still, it would be nice to keep it as simple as possible to program, so I might limit it to 2 or 3 operators.

I’m excited about the sound, but it will take a while to get it parameterized and properly setup to work on the Organelle. Not much point in posting now, but I figured this thread could use a bump in the mean time.

Sounds brilliant @anomalous! :smiley:

I’ve just updated my “Radio Music” patch on Patch Storage:

• Choice of 13 effects
  • “Play” the stations and start points / triggers via the keyboard
  • A new “slew” dial
Sounds brilliant @anomalous! :D
I hope I can live up to expectations. For a taste, a single sinus operator made this: https://clyp.it/cggfd3gw

I test at low fundamental frequencies because FM tends to fall apart there. As you can hear, the bass is full. The partials reach orbit.

I’ve just updated my “Radio Music” patch on Patch Storage:

https://patchstorage.com/r_d-m_s_c-a-k-a-mtm-radio-music/

• Choice of 13 effects
  • “Play” the stations and start points / triggers via the keyboard
  • A new “slew” dial

There’s a good chance I’ll be making use of this soonish. The EP I’m working on (and that got me sucked into Organelle patch design) calls for some long-playing sample manipulation and this just might do the job.

Is there a file size limit for the radio music’s files @ghostly606? Or can I just stream 5–6 minute files from the SD/USB drive?

Oh, and really interested in trying out the FM thing you’re cooking @anomalous!

Is there a file size limit for the radio music's files @ghostly606? Or can I just stream 5–6 minute files from the SD/USB drive?
Only the first 90 seconds of a sample will load into the buffers. There are ways around this apparently which are (currently) beyond my understanding!

ok, cool, good to know! yeah now that you mentioned this, I think there was some discussion at the C&G forums about streaming audio… lemme know if you find some workarounds – I would have some uses for Organelle as a playback machine for long audio files + fx.

Monotrone delay clone:

https://patchstorage.com/mt-delay-monotron-delay/

@vehka You can stream longer files from disk but more limited in terms of editing. What is it you’re after and I can maybe patch you something?

I’m trying to think if I could use the Organelle to free up some audio tracks in Octatrack/OP-1. I’d like to play long audio tracks (backup tracks, field recordings etc) on the Organelle, and add some FX. Link or MIDI sync would be nice too, but I don’t know what would be a good solution. Select a track on Organelle keyboard, and then wait for a MIDI play command from the OP-1 or the Octa? If you have any ideas re how to patch that, I’d really appreciate that!

And thanks for the monotron delay, can’t wait to try that too!

Well, I have some unfortunate news. Development on my patch has hit a major roadblock. At the very least I need to take it much much slower, but I might not be able to release it at all.

Here’s the problem: At low notes it causes tinnitus after a few seconds of exposure. So far it’s been temporary, going away after a few minutes or a few hours, but I’m afraid of having a pulsing bass note in my ear for the rest of time.

I have a theory about why it is so effective at this, but no good plan to fix it. I don’t want to be responsible for damaged hearing, so releasing it and hoping someone else fixes the problem is out of the question. I deleted the samples I posted too, just in case they are problematic. I didn’t notice any issues at those frequencies, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

I have other ideas for FM, so I’ll probably work on those instead. Some of them are similar to this, but shouldn’t produce such a massive phenomenon around the fundamental.