did anyone catch the live stream of op-z from op1andchill on instagram?

would be cool to make a list of features here that were revealed in the broadcast. sadly i missed most of it and can’t figure out a way to rewind the archive of it on my instagram feed…

I’m afraid I may have missed it, but I can’t even work out how to view broadcasts on instagram… :smiley:

Go to op1andchill page, click at the avatar, select “Watch live video”.

@punji said:
Go to op1andchill page, click at the avatar, select “Watch live video”.
Ah, thank you. I missed it unfortunately.

Yeah, unfortunately it is gone now…

• You can have up to 10 projects (songs).
  • There are 8 tracks, 4 sample and 4 engine based.
  • One of the engines had only 3 notes polyphony.
  • You have filter, envelop control and delay per track.
  • You can load your own kits into the sample based tracks.
  • You can not sample directly from the OP-Z.
  • You can set the lenght of each track. It seems easy to do polyrithmic stuff.
  • You can quantize each track after recording.
  • You can add step modifiers that cause a step to repeat or only play every n-th bar.
  • You can chain patterns.
  • You can record parameter changes.
  • There is an arpegio track.
  • There is a transpose track.
  • The tape track is for scratch effects. It seemed a bit lame.
  • You can punch in 16 different effects, including a drum and engine randomizer.
  • You can shift the keyboard octave up and down like the OP-1.
  • There is a cool pitch bender button.
  • The mic is only for voice over effects.

There are many features similar to what the POs have, but taken to another level. It seems a lot like a super evolved PO. You could probably get lost for hours in the couch playing with that thing…

No recording of it? Daaaamn…

@punji said:

• There are 8 tracks, 4 sample and 4 engine based.
  • One of the engines had only 3 notes polyphony.
  • You have filter, envelop control and delay per track.
  • You can load your own kits into the sample based tracks.
  • You can not sample directly from the OP-Z.
  • You can set the lenght of each track. It seems easy to do polyrithmic stuff.
  • You can add step modifiers that cause a step to repeat or only play every n-th bar.
  • You can chain patterns.
  • You can record parameter changes.
  • There is an arpegio track.
  • There is a transpose track.
  • The tape track is for scratch effects. It seemed a bit lame.
  • You can punch in 16 different effects, including a drum and engine randomizer.
  • You can shift the keyboard octave up and down like the OP-1.
  • There is a cool pitch bender button.
  • The mic is only for voice over effects.

There are many features similar to what the POs have, but taken to another level. It seems a lot like a super evolved PO. You could probably get lost for hours in the couch playing with that thing…

Thank you for the precise @punji

Yeah, as I suspected, it’s been taken down… I reckon TE were all like “hey, you say too much”…

Anyway, some major points for me are that:

You can use any samples you want across the 4 sample tracks

You can record movements like filter sweeps per-channel, ie. record automation

This thing is not doing everything we’re hoping it might do (at least not at launch), but it’s doing what it does really well.

I was the 2nd person on, and watched the whole thing (lined up perfectly with me finishing work), so if anyone has any questions, I’d be happy to answer anything I can remember.

They didn’t go into whether or not there were any crazy fx like cwo or phone, so I’m guessing not… At least not at launch, but other than not having time to dig deep into the step components, I was not disappointed with the depth of the 2 hrs. New info, etc. I was very pleased.

Fully sold on the OPz for now. However, does seem that the track layout is a little bit limited. Wouldn’t it have been better to have 8 tracks of instruments consisting of 4 sample and 4 engine based?

For example, I’m wondering if the arpeggio track is only engine based, and if the sounds HAVE to be arpeggiated for that track?

Is the bass track only monophonic and can only facilitate bass engine sounds? Do we only have one track for playing chords?

If some of the drums are sample based, would it not make better sense to have a kit based track so you could have a whole kit on one track, sample based synth on a second track and then some synth engines for the others? Just not sure it seems terribly flexible.

On a positive note - Never thought I’d have a use for the transpose feature, but really excited to use it for sure!

@ludicrouSpeed I remember the stereo pan punch effect, but did they confirm the sample and engine tracks were fully stereo? Also, do you recall how many different sound engines there are?

I asked twice about the expansion modules but they did not comment on that.

They mentioned that TE did not want them to show the companion iOS app because it was still subject to change or something like that.

They enfasized the way rotary encoders work. Unlike the OP-1 ones, they have not click feel at all, just turning endless. There is some visual feedback through the LEDs about the intensity and original value as you rotate them.

@Domatron I think these choices were made to facilitate other features (like transpose, randomizer, etc) and create a better user interaction with the device. Generic things may get overly complex.

Maybe @ludicrouSpeed will know for sure, but I guess the sample based tracks (drum) are monophonic and the engine based ones (bass, arpegio) are polyphonic.

Did they mention how and if will it sync with the OP-1? Via USB? MIDI with a host? PO style sync?

I only recall they saying you could sample on the OP-1 and then transfer the files using a PC over USB drive.

They also mentioned you could use an external MIDI keyboard but gave no demonstration of that.

im curious if the OPZ can accomplish poly meter i.e. different step lengths on each track making for evolving drum loops.
[ X - - -]
[ O - - - -]

always my biggest gripe with the pocket operators. Op1’s sequencers make this pretty easy. finger, endless are my go to for this.

i remember early talks of the OPz were very modular in respect to what can effect what. is that still the case. Like I want to get into weird modular shit by modulating the delays time for a chorus like effect or feeding a delay VCA’d noise and modulating the time for karplus strong like synthesis? I dont plan on buying at launch so im sure ill know all this before I buy one.

pretty sure that was confirmed in cuckoos hour long demo from like a year ago

Not only can you set each track length individually but also apply step modifiers that will cause that particular step to only play every n-th bar.

@punji said:
@ludicrouSpeed I remember the stereo pan punch effect, but did they confirm the sample and engine tracks were fully stereo? Also, do you recall how many different sound engines there are?

I asked twice about the expansion modules but they did not comment on that.

They mentioned that TE did not want them to show the companion iOS app because it was still subject to change or something like that.

They enfasized the way rotary encoders work. Unlike the OP-1 ones, they have not click feel at all, just turning endless. There is some visual feedback through the LEDs about the intensity and original value as you rotate them.

6 sound engines. One was very reminiscent of voltage (good cause I like voltage) and one was very reminiscent of string. The info I got from stereo vs mono is that the sound angines are stereo, but they were unable to confirm if the samples were stereo or mono… In fact, based on the info from the Op1andchill sesh, it’s possible that the sound engines are mono W/ stereo fx

@punji said:
@Domatron I think these choices were made to facilitate other features (like transpose, randomizer, etc) and create a better user interaction with the device. Generic things may get overly complex.

Maybe @ludicrouSpeed will know for sure, but I guess the sample based tracks (drum) are monophonic and the engine based ones (bass, arpegio) are polyphonic.

The sample tracks are poly. They showed an example of two samples from the same track on the same step :slight_smile: ?

I think you can set step components per step to change the length of the step too. Not sure though. The randomizer example they gave seemed very powerful for getting some interesting shizzle happening.