Elektron Digitone

Of course, as a TE fanboy I’m digging the new POs! Also, I’m really taken with the Elektron Digitone - from the videos I’ve seen, it’s really causing me some serious GAS so I’m kind of angry at Elektron for stoking that particular fire! Are you digging the Digitone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4st5TY0Pi9Y

Yeah, looks very interesting. And fairly intuitive to program, which many other FM synth aren’t. But I can’t say I’m blown away by its raw sound character. It’s nice, seemingly very versatile, but not amazing. Looking forward to videos that show how sounds are designed, rather than just playing tracks.

Side note: I appreciate the capability to generate dubstep-like bass. It has uses outside of the actual dubstep genre (e.g. many movies soundtracks) and is very hard to coax out of subtractive synths.

Well, I have my Kronos and still haven’t explored most of its capabilities, including the MOD-7 engine.

Edit:

Sound design demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ6O4x7KUHk

Sounds like it will be a very, very powerful machine for sounds making. They have FM, Filters, wave-table and additive paradigms all mixed together. Plus master overdrive. Really cool.

I was hoping for exactly this when I sold my PreenFM2 and my Blofeld last month…

I am so excited !

To the point where I might return the Organelle :-/
I might get one back at some point later, but I need the money the incoming Cirklon ate, and I’m a bit frustrated with the 4 knobs.
Digitone, in the other way, is the kind of island box I am surely getting ASAP !
:smiley:

Looks nice. Sounds nice. Trying to curb GAS. I have more than enough BOC zone options already but would be fun to mess with those sounds built inside an elektron environment…mmm.

Recently struggling with ‘process’ vs ‘end result’ equations. Dunno how much I’d get out of this that I can’t do already with what I have…So I’d mostly be paying for the ‘fun’ and ‘a little faster’ element. Which I don’t seem to be able to afford to lean toward with purchases so much lately :confused:

Also kinda paranoid they’ll bring out a big brother later this year and I’d lose a couple hundred £ if i flipped it. Any rumours on new big boxes?

Those skittle like buttons have no place on an Elektron product! Looks like a cool device but wonder why they didn’t make it a bigger format unit, i.e. a proper Monomachine 2.

Watched that b-boy namm vid… Gas… Programmable arpeggiator and sounds like a ton of sweet spots in the synth/chain… Might look to get one later this year…

Has anyone read the manual and know if you can input notes in to the programmable arp via trig/external midi keys? Kinda like Endless. How many max steps is the arp? And/or polyphonic steps in arp patterns? And/or store User arp patterns? And/or… I should go read the manual… :wink:

Best review IMO was @cuckoo’s interview of Simon, who’s living a dream come true having designing an FM synth in his life.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=a1K95OHVzhQ

Best review IMO was @cuckoo’s interview of Simon, who’s living a dream come true having designing an FM synth in his life.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=a1K95OHVzhQ

Looks really good… Just can’t decide if I personally need dedicated hardware FM or not :confused: IPad, op1 + ITB always felt like enough for me til I saw a few vids of this! Will try one out when they hit stores and see how the sound design feels compared to what I’m using atm. For quick live jamming/tweaking and loop/patterns stuff it looks great though. Elektron nail that every time! Like the sound of the master drive too.

I need to read manual and find out stuff like -

-Can you adjust individual operator ADSR (if not how flexible/extensive is the macro system for fine tuning… I need to try one hands on or see some more videos to get a feel for that). The master ADSR looks very convenient though. Often wish I had that in some other FM synths I’ve been using. Possibly an even trade-off overall… Maybe full exposure of innards will be available via overbridge?

-P-lock arpeggio?

-Layer patches via the polyphony options like AK? Possible to save/load these combos as one patch without saving/loading pattern? Often feels like a huge ommision on my Ak that I can’t harness the overall power of AK sound design when saving individual patches :confused:

-P-lock fx settings? I vaguely remember people saying you couldn’t do this on DT. Really wish elektron would at least have a shitty ‘low cpu hit’ Delay for Insert per track as standard… I often dont want same delay bpm on all sounds :confused:

-Tempo divisions per track. 64 steps often bugs me for chord progressions in AK.

-LFO destinations. Guessing extensive?

-Arpeggiator settings saved with sound in a patch? Midi out for arp/s?

No per-op ADSR, you get two ADEs (modulator and carrier) and the master ADSR

A4-style layering in the voice allocation menu

There’s a namm video where Simon says the arp can be plocked, bit it could be a misunderstanding - don’t count on it as the arp, like the FX, is in a submenu.

You can extend past 64 steps using trig conditions.

LFO destinations: anything that can be plocked except maybe the patch itself.

Midi arp: not 100% sure but it seems like no.

No per-op ADSR, you get two ADEs (modulator and carrier) and the master ADSR

Not sure about the layering

There’s a namm video where Simon says the arp can be plocked, bit it could be a misunderstanding - don’t count on it as the arp, like the FX, is in a submenu.

You can extend past 64 steps using trig conditions.

LFO destinations: anything that can be plocked except maybe the patch itself.

Midi arp: not 100% sure but it seems like no.

Thanks for those answers :slight_smile:

This is a crazy little box. DT is awesome, no brainer for mine.

Takt or tone? :wink:

The abbreviation for the Digitone is DN!

1 Like

I have the DT and I love it, DN is a no brainer.

:wink:

Yeah, first elektron in a while I’ve been super keen to check out. Interested to see/hear more.

Being skint + mostly away from my setup over past year or two made me look at iPad mostly for digital synths and I finally got a workflow setup there that I dig. Rozeta sequencing KQ Dixie/Zeeon + FX + pad link in BM3 is pretty immense…

But when sequencing in there I really miss the physical, purpose built UI of Elektron and their sequencer functions. Whilst equally there are aspects where (for me at least) its better. Long progressions, fx options, rozeta sequencer types, flipping between BM3 song sections a la op1 tape in to pattern mode during jamming etc)… Tough to make decison on this one :confused:

When do they hit UK stores?

Thomann says Feb 12th, not sure if that’s just wishful thinking though.

Yeah, first elektron in a while I've been super keen to check out. Interested to see/hear more.

Being skint + mostly away from my setup over past year or two made me look at iPad mostly for digital synths and I finally got a workflow setup there that I dig. Rozeta sequencing KQ Dixie/Zeeon + FX + pad link in BM3 is pretty immense…

But when sequencing in there I really miss the physical, purpose built UI of Elektron and their sequencer functions. Whilst equally there are aspects where (for me at least) its better. Long progressions, fx options, rozeta sequencer types, flipping between BM3 song sections a la op1 tape in to pattern mode during jamming etc)… Tough to make decison on this one :confused:

When do they hit UK stores?

I’ve been using Digitakt to sequence KQ Dixie in BM3, works great. Have seen you mention Octatrack in other threads, you tried sequencing with that instead?

I still have major GAS for Digitone after watching these vids tho, might swap my Digitakt for it as still use the Analog Rytm way more.

Was pretty sure I didn’t want the Digitone when I saw it announced… 2 days later and now thinking what to sell for it lol

GAS building up quickly here!

Do any Elektrons have P-Locked arpeggios?

@Gambler

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/p-locking-the-arpeggiator/912
1 Like