Endless Seq

Bit of a 101 question - is there a way to edit/delete/change notes on an existing endless sequence? Say if i played a sequence in, listen to it back and think the fourth note could be another note instead…Is there a way of doing this?

Nope. The only editing that can be done is when setting the sequence, left arrow deletes steps.

Yeah I almost instantly hit this wall when I got OP-1. Would Love to see a sequence memory bank, even if only 20 or so slots, and a method for editing steps. And if you could edit steps on the fly whilst sequence is latched and then revert to saved sequence it would be pretty killer for faking randomness etc…

Yeah I almost instantly hit this wall when I got OP-1.

yeah, a “creative constraint” a.k.a bullshit excuse for something basic that’s badly missing.

That sucks. This and the need for additional steps (say 64) on finger and pattern is pretty essential

As much as I would love a billion more features I also don’t want to deviate from the largely menu-less approach of the UI. Essential for a certain workflow maybe, but it wouldn’t be essential for me.

True

Ideally i would love the an endless style sequencer but with a tetris type interface (which would allow u to shift blocks/notes over)…just an idea.

^I wrote a long response to agree with @Ghostly606, but I think I’ll just say “Yeah.” :slight_smile:

Firmware updates are the most un-zen thing that’s happened to music making since I started.

Sincerely,

Grandpa.

Haha :slight_smile: I think sometimes people read other people’s ‘request/moan’ posts and imagine them sat at home headbutting their equipment and crying alone in sync. For me when I mention stuff like this it’s normally just something spur of the moment in response to something else I read. Everything I own ‘could’ be better so I mention possible improvements etc on forums while I’m sat somewhere bored cos it seems like somewhere that devs might visit occasionally. But 9 times out of 10 I’m over it straight away and focusing on the stuff that the machines CAN do… I should prob sew my lip :wink:

Dont get me wrong - i love the OP-1…The misses is getting kind of jealous, the MPC has gathered dust and summer is passing me by since I purchased it! The new beta is amazing, love the new presets and arpeggiator. I guess its what Ghostly said about it becoming too cluttered if too much stuff was added. I still stand by the fraustration with the endless sequencer but apart from that - its a truely amazing piece of kit.

Yeah, well let’s not forget it’s the easiest thing to say “just make the most of what you’ve got” like I just did :slight_smile:

I love speculating about gear. And the request isn’t unreasonable at all. It’s just that with the clicks and pops fixed, Te OP-1 is pretty much without major flaws for what I’m using it for. And that’s a rare thing :smiley:

So yeah, I’m happy with the OP-1 now, but really get why others might still speculate!

Having said all this, it wouldn't be hard to add snapshot functionality to effects and sequencers, from a UI point of view. Select the type with the blue knob and the preset with the green a la the synth / drum patches. Snapshots saved by holding the fx or sequence button accordingly.

No idea how to add in terms of coding (simple?) and memory (simple?) though.

Yeah I only had a few days with OP so far but already saw that it’s magic/uniqueness is as much down to what it can’t do as what it can. The way it kind of funnels you along. Definitely forces you in to a workflow that reminds me of my first 4-track tape recorder.

In some ways the ‘tape’ thing is kind of gimmicky but it’s also bang on as far as being forced to commit to ideas/sounds and bounce to make space etc. Very far removed from what I’ve gotten used to in DAWland. Refreshing change of speed.

But yeah, I’d still like to sometimes edit steps on Endless tho :wink:

Yeah, well let's not forget it's the easiest thing to say "just make the most of what you've got" like I just did :)

I love speculating about gear. And the request isn’t unreasonable at all. It’s just that with the clicks and pops fixed, Te OP-1 is pretty much without major flaws for what I’m using it for. And that’s a rare thing :smiley:

So yeah, I’m happy with the OP-1 now, but really get why others might still speculate!

Yeah the clicks/pops fix is truly great

(actually you’d have to do the hold while holding shift, but that’s no biggie)

Should be sincere: never fully understood the Endless Sequencer :frowning:

Should be sincere: never fully understood the Endless Sequencer :(

Think of it as Pattern without the grid UI and without the option to re-edit once you’ve completed your sequence. Now, if Pattern was not as time limited as it is they could have merged it with Endless into once sequence to rule them all. But that’s another story.

Me neither until spending a couple of hours with it yesterday. Initially I thought it would be cool for melodic style 80s boogie bass riffs. But the lack of editing the odd bum note makes it too time consuming for that. I mainly use it now for coming up with hooks and that chord memory trick you can do on it (very useful)

Should be sincere: never fully understood the Endless Sequencer :(

Think of it as Pattern without the grid UI and without the option to re-edit once you’ve completed your sequence. Now, if Pattern was not as time limited as it is they could have merged it with Endless into once sequence to rule them all. But that’s another story.

Great suggestion. That would be problem solved.

I rarely use anything but endless! For me, lots of the magic of the op-1 lies somewhere in the combination of endless, drum sampler and tape. Can’t wait to try this arp thing you’re all on about!