Got OP-1 just delivered and...

… it’s dead! It has been on the charge for about 2 hours and not a beep. It is brand new. It is my second OP-1. I bought the first one last November, slagged it off on this forum, sold it, bought Octratrack, sold it, bought OP-1again. Don’t laugh.

I have called the costumer service from the shop I bought it, and the guy rightly advised to keep in on charge for a while and to call back later in the afternoon, but I just wonder if anyone has experienced the same. I’m still hoping the OP will come to life. I think that the first one I bought arrived charged… but hey… I don’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Cheers
Fred

Somebody else in this forum recently charged it from dead for over 24 hours before it sprung into live. is it showing any lights when charging?

I got mine (also my second) a few weeks back and it had a heck of a charge on it though.

Somebody else in this forum recently charged it from dead for over 24 hours before it sprung into live. is it showing any lights when charging?

I got mine (also my second) a few weeks back and it had a heck of a charge on it though.

no lights :frowning:

tried a different cable? What’s the cable plugged into? Computer USB? Try a different port? Different charger/

To be fair, if you’ve bought some equipment and you can’t turn it on I’d say you’ve got a pretty good reason for a return …

I had an issue with mine where it suddenly decided that it wasn’t charged (even though it worked). I drained the battery and recharged but from what I can remember the right hand lights showed charging was happening. After the recharge it appears to be working properly.

You have my sympathies. Nothing worse than new gear that doesn’t work straight off the bat :frowning:

tried a different cable? What's the cable plugged into? Computer USB? Try a different port? Different charger/

To be fair, if you've bought some equipment and you can't turn it on I'd say you've got a pretty good reason for a return ...

I had an issue with mine where it suddenly decided that it wasn't charged (even though it worked). I drained the battery and recharged but from what I can remember the right hand lights showed charging was happening. After the recharge it appears to be working properly.

You have my sympathies. Nothing worse than new gear that doesn't work straight off the bat :(

yeah I have tried all the things you have mentioned…

I will just wait for a while and if there are no signs of life it will be send back for post mortem.

this is a second synth this year which arrived to me completely dead. maybe I should buy a banjo…

cheers zobbo

Sympathies again

However, you and I have something in common. I bought a second hand OP-1 last year and didn’t get on with it. Bought a new one two weeks ago (in Japan and the prices are about £150 cheaper than UK) and have just fallen in love with it. I have an Octatrack at home in the UK as well - another piece of equipment I can’t get on with but my OP-1 renaissance has inspired me :wink:

Hope you get it all sorted out soon!

Sympathies again

However, you and I have something in common. I bought a second hand OP-1 last year and didn’t get on with it. Bought a new one two weeks ago (in Japan and the prices are about £150 cheaper than UK) and have just fallen in love with it. I have an Octatrack at home in the UK as well - another piece of equipment I can’t get on with but my OP-1 renaissance has inspired me :wink:

Hope you get it all sorted out soon!

When I bought my first OP-1 I loved it, but hated its flaws: the ground loop and occasional collapses. So I sold it, got the OT, learned how to use it (well… learned the basics really) only to realize how much I missed the simplicity of OP-1. The OT deserves a lot of attention. I have never came across to a device like this. But I missed the portability of OP-1, the silliness. And the track I made with it back in the beginning of the year got me signed with a indie label. So I bought it again… and it’s dead. :slight_smile:

BTW I’m surprised the OP-1 is cheaper in Japan.

Exchange rate is well in favour of sterling at the moment compared to Yen. Amazon UK price for OP-1 is 650 - when I bought from Amazon JP was around 500

I did not expect to buy another OP-1 but I really wanted a standalone portable unit and realised I had the time whilst here to actually spend some time learning it again. Considered the new Electribe but none of the demo’s I heard on YouTube made me excited.

Also the new (well I don’t remember seeing it before) OP-1 Manual is a shedload clearer.

Yeah it seems the Electribe is a bit dull.

There is still no sign of life on my OP-1, so I’m wondering if it was a good idea to buy one.

good going getting signed from an op-1 song! :wink:

sad news about the dead op-1 though. get it sent back!
maybe change your synth supplier too :wink:

good going getting signed from an op-1 song! ;)

sad news about the dead op-1 though. get it sent back!
maybe change your synth supplier too ;)

cheers mate, I’m glad to see you still live here on this forum :slight_smile:
I bought it from Juno like almost all my other synths… never had a problem with them… plus they give great discounts. Maybe the fact the op-1 doesn’t work is a sign haha.

Yup still here.

Battled with selling the OP-1 every now and then when the Elektron GAS gets high but never get round to selling as it’s a great wee thing.

Juno is a decent shop - always had good service from them. I guess every now and then some duff machines get sent out from TE.

Hope you get it swapped no hassles.

Yup still here.
Battled with selling the OP-1 every now and then when the Elektron GAS gets high but never get round to selling as it's a great wee thing.

Juno is a decent shop - always had good service from them. I guess every now and then some duff machines get sent out from TE.

Hope you get it swapped no hassles.

I sold the Octatrack, but will keep the Analog Keys (forever) Amazing synth.

I agree, the OP-1 is a great device!
Anyway, mine is getting picked up by a courier tomorrow, so I’m hoping that I’d get a new one soon.

Considered the new Electribe but none of the demo's I heard on YouTube made me excited.

I thought that too, until I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsEIcrx6aW4

That is nice. It is. And I can get one here in Japan for aprox £200 instead of £330 in the UK :frowning:

Must resist, must resist …

That’s right! My GAS began and soared through ceiling and the roof when I moved here. And now the it’s almost ¥200 for £1… It’s like everything is half price!!! Reading this thread is doing no favours for my Elektron GAS right now.

Anyway, I am happy for you Fred. It sounds like everything will be alright in the end.

Of course, my overall feeling is of utter gut wrenching sadness and uncomboable anger. The pangs of anguish and sickening grief must’ve been unbearable; like a drug addict going white turkey, or a bloke beaten black and blue and left for dead, stranded in the middle of the desert with no water and the sun full bore.

I would ask for the radio antenna or another accessory to make sure the damage inflicted didn’t scar.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease and they can only say “no”.

Good luck on the next delivery Fred!

Regarding dead OP-1: try charging it at least 24hrs using a USB charger (even if the charge LEDs don’t light up). After that unplug it first and then turn it on.

Considered the new Electribe but none of the demo's I heard on YouTube made me excited.

I thought that too, until I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsEIcrx6aW4

Woooooowhohoooooo ! Awesome track

That’s a great Electribe video. Definitely the best I’ve seen with one of those boxes.

Where are all you guys in Japan?

Hi Space Traveling man… Right now the wife and I are revelations big in the relaxing atmosphere of a Japanese beach bar.