Hiss with user drum samples even when notes aren’t playing?

So, I finally cut a sample pack today (it’s up at op1.fun). I used my Zoom to record audio from a couple of pocket operators, whacked up the WAV file in Wavlab into half-second clips, and used the OP-1 Drum Utility to make my AIFF file. It all sounds fine, and installed with no problems. However, when I pick that sample pack in the Drum sample menu, as soon as I strike a sample the OP-1 starts a noticeable hiss that continues even when nothing is playing, and persists after I switch back to the synth, and only goes away when I turn it off and turn it on again. The hiss is not in the original samples, and even if it were, the creepy thing is that it plays whether or not a sample is playing, and once it starts, persists even when another instrument is selected!

Has anyone else seen that? I need to try installing one of the other patches from op1.fun and see if that does it too, or if there’s something whacked about the AIFF I made using the drum utility.

Yout got spring as effect?

Yeah check your FX - spring and CWO particularly are pretty noisy when idle

Hmm. Good advice, but no — they’re both off.

I didn’t see it with the second sample pack I created either, which is kind of goofy. But I did get it to occur with one of the built-ins. I’ll fool around some more tomorrow and see if I can pin it down. Thanks!!
Hmm. Good advice, but no --- they're both off.

I didn't see it with the second sample pack I created either, which is kind of goofy. But I did get it to occur with one of the built-ins. I'll fool around some more tomorrow and see if I can pin it down. Thanks!!

Did you check the master FX too?

Good guess, but no luck there either. Noticing it sometimes on the Sampler Synth with the built-in samples, too. I still need to poke it more. I bet I’ve got something turned on somewhere I can’t find with just these instruments…

The OP-1 is actually pretty hissy. I actually kinda like it, reminds me of cassettes, but yeah, she’s totes parcel tongue.

drive and/or release set high?

output levels on the master screen?
EQ?
an LFO doing something weird?

also a dumb thing, but did u check your cables? or clean the output jack?

OP-1 is full of hiss <3

Thanks, dochsermsticks! It’s on the internal speaker, so not cables —- but yeah, the audio line out is always awful too. I’ll check the other settings you suggest! I think it’s got to be something with the EQ or LFO. The weird thing is it happens even when no note is playing, which is why I liked other people’s theory that I had an effect on, but I don’t…

Maybe make a vid. hard to diagnose with words alone… Could be a defective unit :confused:

Mine whines if it’s charging via USB.

Thanks to all the folks with suggestions. Think I nailed it —- with the sampler source set on radio, there’s some low-level hiss that bleeds through on untuned radio stations. Flip it to the ear or the microphone, and it goes away. Dunno if it’s just my unit, or a general problem.

Thanks to all the folks with suggestions. Think I nailed it —- with the sampler source set on radio, there’s some low-level hiss that bleeds through on untuned radio stations. Flip it to the ear or the microphone, and it goes away. Dunno if it’s just my unit, or a general problem.

Whoa, I never heard of that… Maybe the attenuation when the sampler source is “deactivated” is set to less than negative ∞ infinity

It seems that there is some kind of fundamental bug in OP-1’s sound routing. A digital synth is not supposed to hum and buzz when all the sound sources are off. And I’m not talking just about the issue above. Drive and most effects are extremely noisy even when there is no sound source. I’m really struggling with this stuff now. A fix for this would be the #1 feature on my mental wish list right now.

It seems that there is some kind of fundamental bug in OP-1's sound routing. A digital synth is not supposed to hum and buzz when all the sound sources are off. And I'm not talking just about the issue above. Drive and most effects are extremely noisy even when there is no sound source. I'm really struggling with this stuff now. A fix for this would be the #1 feature on my mental wish list right now.

Hmm, yeah, like the punch effect feeding back into itself… Devil’s advocate: Maybe this weird routing is part of what gives the OP-1 it’s characteristic lofi punch. I dunno if I’d like it as much if it was less noisy, haha… I have a theory that maybe the noise varies from batch to batch, maybe unit to unit…

I would be REALLY interested to see what is going on with the routing, just out of curiosity… Also, why the noise when recording mic/line in directly to tape compared to drum/synth sampler…

Hmm, yeah, like the punch effect feeding back into itself… Devil’s advocate: Maybe this weird routing is part of what gives the OP-1 it’s characteristic lofi punch. I dunno if I’d like it as much if it was less noisy, haha… I have a theory that maybe the noise varies from batch to batch, maybe unit to unit…

Thing is, you can always add noise, but it’s very hard to get rid of.

Thing is, you can always add noise, but it’s very hard to get rid of.

Yeah, you’re totally right about that.

embrace the noise