Hocus Pocus: Teenage Engineering mysterious new product

Maybe it’s something like the granular convolver:) exciting

I find it curious that it has almost no controls… it either has just one “magic” trick or it relies on mobile apps for an augmented interface.

1 Like

this one showed up in my instagram feed. It is definetly a collage. The speakerthing is cut out from the testphotos, shown in the pdf earlier.

1 Like

Today’s post seemed pretty sloppy. Calling your own marketing strategy stupid? Weird.

1 Like

True. But most of us will buy it anyway, whatever it is.

They said they were going to be doing something on IG at 7PM CEST. I didn’t see anything happening. Did anyone catch anything?

it was basically someone walking through a forest with reverbed music playing =D

1 Like

The live video recording is still available on their Instagram page.

It does not seem to be just a reverb effect, it is hard to describe it… sounds like some heavy filtered composition of more than one audio source.

Audio from Instagram

PS: The recording is not available anymore.

1 Like

it has to do with OP-Z

what connection with op-z do you think it could have ? To me it was just confirming that it’s a speaker with networking possibilities (I feel like we can hear the speakers phasing sometimes in the recording)

related to the sound file, and the Op-Z comes now in a bundle with the punch case

we‘ll see

That’s $70 off! And the punch case is really nice, I would recommend it. This seems like a really great deal for anybody wanting a opz. More then worth a additional $50.
Ever sense I got my punch case, I’ve just been carrying around opz in that instead of everything in the bigger transparent pencil case, and it’s an amazing feeling, protected and not much bigger then the opz. If I need the headphones or the oplab, I will just put the punch case in the pencil case with everything else, still not very big but love the punch case by itself. You have to get the medium size pencil case to do this btw.

Based on the leaked documents, its defo a bluetooth speaker. But that is nothing exciting, TE won’t do that.

Based on the video from yesterday, it seems you can add some effects like reverb and delay on top of the song playing. At some stage it seemed two different songs were blending with one another.

Modern Boombox, but hey, boomboxes can also record. Hopefully is a modern boombox / field recorder, where 2 users can feed audio, and using an app you can blend both.

That sounds more exciting :slight_smile:

1 Like

DJ style wireless jamming?

I’m interested

Does it make the slightest sense that they drag us thru the “reveal” mystery . . while its been leaked all over the world for more then a week? I would felt very stupid about my countdown campaign if I would be the charge of mkt . . but I am not and if its really the speaker . . well then .,.

Maybe - and this is a big maybe - they were spreading this pictures & patents on purpose in order to mislead the people. Just like in any magic trick…

At least that’s what I wish for :balloon:
Hoping for a super positive surprise for Oct 2nd

3 Likes

The information leaked so far does not clarify what the thing does… it would be suicidal to make such marketing campaign and then deliver just a BT speaker.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBV2qf6uz5X/
this pic is from 2016

look at the thing to the far left :eyes:

16 Likes

well spotted !

1 Like

It seems like this Reddit post from two years ago solves it, even if it still doesn’t fully explain what it can do. https://www.reddit.com/r/OP1users/comments/8stx2x/teenage_engineering_to_release_a_music_player/

The promo stuff and leaks indicate that it is some kind of speaker that involves collaboration/input from Justin Vernon, and the audio they posted to Instagram sounded like multiple audio sources being blended together. It might have been premade, but it had more of a jam feel than a careful composition feel to it.

Here is the “PEOPLE Player” info from the article. https://thecreativeindependent.com/people/origins-justin-vernon-on-the-power-of-cooperation/
"During a phone call, Aaron came up with the three rules, or the three ideals of PEOPLE. The number-one most important is free space. Not just free money, but free space for artists to create. And the second is events; changing what a concert means. Taking a little bit of the capitalism out of a concert and putting a little more of the cultural back into it; a little more of the, “Let’s go somewhere and be together and be changed.” And then the platform is, honestly, the third-most important.

So, these events, while they’re much more difficult to navigate, they’re very important. They’re a place for these people to get together. You can make a song over email, but it’s usually better when you’re in the same room. It’s important to still get random people together to create new music—to change people’s minds, including the musicians’."

“We will collaborate with a very special electronics company to make a physical device connected to the platform called PEOPLE PLAYER”

I know some people were saying that is isn’t it won’t be powerful enough to broadcast signals around the world, but it sounds like something in that direction, definitely focused on collaboration and live experimentation. Maybe it uses a phone/computer to connect to the internet? The spider speaker idea seems limited to me if the PEOPLE Player angle is correct. It would be cool, but it wouldn’t be that different from meeting up with people in person with multiple speakers/amps and setting a field recorder up. Something that encourages people to meet up with their friends in person isn’t exactly the ideal thing to release during a worldwide pandemic?

Also, if the whole point was to have a bunch of linked speakers in a local space, then it would lose its big selling point unless you either bought 3-4 of them to carry around with you, or you had 3-4 friends to jam with and they each bought one. TE gear is popular in its niche but isn’t like a Nintendo Switch. I don’t know anyone around me with an OP-Z or OP-1 (maybe I just don’t have a lot of friends…).

It might be wishful thinking, but I am leaning towards something that encourages you to play live with people who are not sitting in the same room as you, maybe even anonymously? It would be pretty wicked to tune into anonymous jam sessions and be able to jump in if you vibe with it.

EDIT: Looks like this person has also been posting about the PEOPLE connection lately, seems pretty solid. https://www.reddit.com/user/l3ftofthedial/

7 Likes