Ideas for NEW MODULES ?!

Instead of hating on their on their new RUMBLE-MODULE, which is probably not everyone’s cup of tea I thought it might be more constructive to offer alternative ideas for TE’s future modules.
What are your ideas?

My first suggestion is a simple MIXER MODULE providing:

• 4 stereo outputs / 8 mono (each OP-Z track could be exported at once this way)
  • ability to switch them to be inputs: 3 out + 1 in // 2 out + 2 in // 1 out + 3 in // 4 in
  • the encoders set volumes, panning and FX send

That’s it! What do you think about this idea, what would you like tobe the next module?

16 Likes

Next module I would like is a functional oplab!

2 Likes

Analog synth module with 3 osc
Audio in for processing
3 Outs for processed mix, for analog synth, and one for sync with operators

1 Like

The bad thing is:
The more modules there are, the more often you’ll have to make a compromise on which one to use.

I think all your suggestions are great, so MY suggestion would be a bigger expansion (the size of the OP-Z itself) that goes under the OP-Z and can hold up to 3-4 Modules simultaniously. It could be attached by screws, just like the usual backplate (but with more resistant rubberfeet and a better locking mechanism). Inside the expansion itselft there could be an integrated battery/memory upgrade, that goes into the original module-slot it occupies.

The OP-Z would then be thicker, but hold much more modules (aka your suggestions).

8 Likes

That’s a really good idea∆

This is the only module i want.

Not very likely to happen because it would require fitting 4 stereo codecs plus the associated analog front end in that tiny module space. Also, the module interface would need to support that many I2S serial ports, and the Blackfin processor used in the OP-Z does not.

Unfortunately that sort of thing would need to be planned from the very beginning, with appropriate connectors and interfaces. Trying to fit that large piece in the existing connectors would be a nightmare, not to mention that the module interface most likely does not support more than one at a time, i.e., it is not a daisy chain type.

The OP-Z processor (ADSP-BF703) has only two audio interfaces (I2S). One is for sure used for the line-out/headset, the other may be available for the module. It is unlikely that we will ever see a module with more than one audio stereo connector.

5 Likes

I believe this is spot on. Any sensible person will add an i2s to mysterious pins inside of the unit

What i really want to see as a engineer myself is to TE to open up the api and release a module with an arm cortex m3 or m4 in it. I believe this community has already showed its capabilities. We could generate “apps” for these modules and opz could really go on. I wouldn’t mind paying 150 dollars for this sort of thing.

8 Likes

That’s a great idea!

A recorder/SD card module. Record all 8 tracks to the card. And maybe store extra samples there, for assigning via the iOS app.

12 Likes

This would be really awesome and a dream come true.

The power of the community can take a product way further than just a single force.

Unfortunately, given TE history it’s probably very unlikely they go this route.

1 Like

The removable aspect aside, the OP-Z already has 1GB of internal flash, so recording to an OP-1 like “album” and accessing that later via USB should be feasible without a new module.

2 Likes

In that case, I hope for better sample organization in the app. That would do the trick for me.

1 Like

Hi @punji - can you confirm what you think is the max number of simultaneous outputs, given a module with more audio out? Or recording 8 tracks internally as audio for exporting.

I think recording internally to flash would be limited only by the available flash memory, write bandwidth and processor overhead, since no codec is required for that. I don’t have a feeling for the maximum there, since there are too many unknowns. The 1GB flash would fill up faster when recording multiple channels. For example, 8 mono channels at 16bit/48K would eat around 50 MB per minute.

As I mentioned before, a sound codec usually requires a dedicated I2S (serial) interface. The OP-Z processor has two of those, and one is certainly being used for the line-out/mic-in. That leaves one for the module, assuming they have provided that interface through the connector, which is unknown but very likely. This would allow for one stereo line in and one stereo line out (or two mono channels).

Another option is using a high speedy non-I2S interface with the module (like SPI) to stream multiple audio channels. In that case, the module would need to have its own processor acting as a breakout, like the Oplab does. The module processor may provide multiple I2S interfaces, each with its own codec. The bandwidth and processor overhead would still apply, besides fitting all that circuitry inside the tiny module. Maybe that would allow up to four channels, using two stereo codecs. I would be very surprised if they supported more than that.

3 Likes

Even two assignable mono line out would be dope.

1 Like

Specially if you also had two line-in for returns…

1 Like