Initial thought on PO's

I have the 3 models available. My ‘Sub’ has an encoder misaligned so I’m thinking the silicone case won’t fit properly over it. We’ll see…

The fact that you can’t power off the unit completely is ridiculous and imho a design flaw. I remove the batteries when I’m done messing around. I’ll probably end of breaking the metal wire holders or the contacts eventually.

And personally, I think the LCD graphics are cheesy. They could have put some logical information in the display instead what’s there now.

Is Teenage Engineering making toys for toddlers now?

The OP-1 was done right. These…not so much.

Everyone may have a different opinion here… I think they have some unique character and the display helps with that (at the expense of the musical habilities). The OP-1 also has that, with its unconventional vector graphics screens, so it seems to me like a “TE signature”. But they are certainly not for toddlers! Regarding execution, I think they did an amazing job with such a limited hardware.

Btw, watches do not usually come with an on/off button… :slight_smile:

Watches have ten year lithium batteries. Big difference.

It’s great to keep costs down, but not at the expense of basic, important functionality.

Most people on this forum own an OP-1. We paid 800+ for it-and we’re all happy with it pretty much.

The PO’s without the silicone cases are prone to getting damaged too easily. Inserting and removing batteries
presents dangers of breaking something. That’s simply unacceptable.

TE should have made these with enclosures and a battery cover from day one, and should have included an on/off switch, or simply a means of completely powering off the device.

And the extra cost to do the above-mentioned^, wouldn’t have hurt sales at all.

I have the 3 models available. My 'Sub' has an encoder misaligned so I'm thinking the silicone case won't fit properly over it. We'll see...

The fact that you can't power off the unit completely is ridiculous and imho a design flaw. I remove the batteries when I'm done messing around. I'll probably end of breaking the metal wire holders or the contacts eventually.

And personally, I think the LCD graphics are cheesy. They could have put some logical information in the display instead what's there now.

Is Teenage Engineering making toys for toddlers now?

The OP-1 was done right. These...not so much.

I’ll buy all 3 off you for $150 USD?

I’d like to hear another todder’s toy that sounds like these :slight_smile:

They don’t consume much battery, neither when powered on nor when sleeping. I’d keep the batteries in always rather than taking them out each time. The metal clip design to hold them makes me uneasy.

Not sure anyone can complain at the £50 price point over not having an on / off switch. As @sammyjams suggests, sell on if you’re not happy, from where I am sitting these are a big hit. I don’t have any yet, waiting a few months for when all the excitement settles down and will get one with the case. Maybe after an OS update too where the games are playable. Here’s hoping!

I rather new to electronic music, but I must say that even on OP-1 I never felt it so easy to compose pretty melodies with these instruments.

Plus they really have some groove, I think.
I plugged them into several different effects and was very satisfied with the result.

My girlfriend hate them though, there are several sounds that are kind of low-fi with nasty frequencies.
But for me these sounds are really great.

Now for the price I think this is really crazy, and I really feel like it’s high quality stuff, even if it looks fragile.
I will soon change the batteries for the second time, I feel like they don’t draw that much juice.

I can’t really understand how people cannot find the fun in them.
But I’m not an expert at synth/groovebox, discovered them only a year ago :slight_smile:

after an OS update too where the games are playable. Here's hoping!

just a heads up TE has said there will be no OS updates for the POS, as it would require a programming kit.

I'd like to hear another todder's toy that sounds like these :)

You're kidding right? So, you haven't heard of Nintendo 3DS?

Not sure anyone can complain at the £50 price point over not having an on / off switch. As @sammyjams suggests, sell on if you're not happy, from where I am sitting these are a big hit. I don't have any yet, waiting a few months for when all the excitement settles down and will get one with the case. Maybe after an OS update too where the games are playable. Here's hoping!

There will never be an OS update for any of the PO's. Is that why you guys think these are so special- because they were so cheap? I got them for inspiration-nothing more. I would have gladly paid the extra 15.00 to ad an on/off switch and a proper battery enclosure-just like everyone else would have.

A 3ds costs as much as the 3 pos together, and you still have to buy the synth apps.

His post was:

I responded accordingly.
When you're talking about making music, design, form and function are more important than a cheap price.
- Nuff said.

So I guess there are no 59€ toys that sound like these.

Depends on your definition of toddler’s toy!!! :slight_smile:

Warning: PO’s are not a toddlers toy, they may pose a choking hazard.

Hah, my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Didn’t know Nintendo 3DS had music apps. Either way, the PO-12 is not a toddler’s toy.

And there’s nothing wrong with a cheap price when it comes to music. Every piece of gear has it’s own function and form. The selling point of the POs is price, but also fun, ease of use and surprisingly good sounds. In the end, they aren’t a new Elektron unit and it would have been nice to have case included, but it’s $59. I’m not sure what you were expecting.

Depends on your definition of toddler’s toy!!! :slight_smile:

Touche! :slight_smile:

these things are incredible good sounding machines.

you can just glue on an old Speaker (+&- soldering points) with tea strips. and booooom.

they are cheap. of course but you can’t pay less for that good programming.

at least they are Sturdy as Hell.

@oponeuser

i would guess an old ipod touch is under 100 and plenty of free apps that are more powerful than the PO’s.

yellowfier etc…