I've got mine:) - some technical questions

Hi,

Yesterday I un-boxed my OP-1, it’s a very nice looking machine. I wanted to do a quick look over it yesterday evening and then go to sleep. However I quickly spent cca. 3 hours with it in one sitting :slight_smile: Addicting stuff.
My first big wow moment was when I was able to record guitar to the tape. I wasn’t sure if backing tracks can be recorded to the machine, but I know I can do it for now :slight_smile:

I have some technical questions, could you help me please?

1. The display is too wan to my taste, but the left side of it is definitely brighter than the right side. Is it a common display issue? The overall brightness can’t be adjusted as far as I see. And the Drum machine has very small letters/icons which are blurred.

2. When I turn on the device it shows a version number on the bottom-right of the screen: R14510. I guess this is the firmware version. However the version of the downloadable firmware on TE site is #14203. I guess that I shouldn’t update then. However what is strange to me is that I don’t see the sliding animations when switching from one device to another that I noticed in several videos :slight_smile:

3. The device produces a bit of constant noise independently of the USB is plugged in or not. It is present event with zero output level. Adjusting internal levels properly before recording can help a lot, but recording the output into DAW and applying an overdrive on it makes clear that a noise gate is definitely needed. Can this thing be improved somehow? It doesn’t seem to be a big problem, but would be happy if almost no background noise was present. I’ve read about noise issues here and other forums however.

4. The plate reverb (Grid) seems to me a bit difficult to configure properly. A particular configuration can sound acceptable only a small range of pitches. Other sounds can get easily weird, so the parameters have to be adjusted again. Do you have any suggestions on how to use it? I’d like to have some reverb on this unit.

Thanks.

Ok, I’ve found the answer for #2.

About the firmware : you should definitely have a look at the beta

The (community) presets are über cool and it offers both a new sequencer and a new synth.
:slight_smile:

Hey ! Welcome here :slight_smile:

1. Never noticed that !
2./
3. Have you got a master effect ON ? Try to put it OFF :smiley:
4. I’ve no effect preset in my head with the OP-1, just triturate :smiley:

Hey ! Welcome here :)

1. Never noticed that !
2./
3. Have you got a master effect ON ? Try to put it OFF :D
4. I've no effect preset in my head with the OP-1, just triturate :D

I turned off every FX, sure :slight_smile:
Regarding Grid, I think, I misunderstood its purpose. The manual states it’s an “echo”. So not a reverb :slight_smile:
The only reverb is the spring one as far as I see.

I’ve got this noise issue sometimes, especially when I’m using CWO on the master effect.

Yes, Grid seems like a diffuse echo. Spring is nice, but maybe just a bit too metalic… You’e got to play with it to try it well :slight_smile:

I’ve already heard “big” reverb in some videos. Those musics were made only on OP-1. How can that reverb be achieved?

Have you got a video example ?

For example some reverb occur in this video from 13:27:
https://youtu.be/8x-WiGyec9o?t=820

Guys, really, how bright is your screen is? And is it homogeneous or does it contain brighter areas?

I never noticed any brighter areas on my op-1 screen.
In the vid, you mean the feedback effect on the sound like voice ? If yes, I think that’s “Delay”

I never noticed any brighter areas on my op-1 screen.
In the vid, you mean the feedback effect on the sound like voice ? If yes, I think that's "Delay"

So delay with short feedback, right? But I thought of some pads instead. They have reverb-like effects.

I can capture this brightness issue especially with white color. On mine there’s a small area on left where white is bright enough. Otherwise the white is also “faded out” as well as other colors. The whole display seems like an old cheap phone’s screen a bit :slight_smile:

For the seem like voice, yes I think, and for the pad, not sure it’s an effect, maybe multiple notes and presets layered. But clearly @13:40 there’s a delay and a stereo effect.

Take a pic of your screen, this gonna be easier

Take a pic of your screen, this gonna be easier

Sure, I’ll do. Thanks.

Ok, it is difficult to take a photo that shows the differences well. I put into white circle the brighter parts.
On the right side the display is less bright, and the whites turn into blue a bit as they lose the light.

OP-1-screen-01 OP-1-screen-02

Can kind of see what you mean. But barely. Like it just kind of seems darker in areas that have a dark reflection from your body or whatever it is reflecting? Guessing that’s not the case tho if you’re seeing it regardless of what’s reflecting.

FWIW the writing above and under ‘1,2,3,4’ isn’t white on mine (beta os). It’s all kind of blue/grey except the ‘1,2,3,4’. The ‘1,2,3,4’ is white. Hard to see how bad things are in a pic I guess. Maybe email TE and see what they say.

Sure, in real the difference is bigger than the pictures show. However I tend to say it doesn’t matter :slight_smile: I have to be used to it, that’s all. Much easier to bear with than sending it back to store for replacement or to TE for repair, I guess :smiley:

Shut down the light and take the picture back :wink:

Nope. The difference is much less in that case. Thats why I turned the lights up. The small spot lights in face of camera makes it difficult to save the ranges :slight_smile: It’s phone camera, you know.

There’s at least a 5% or so difference I’d say.