Just canceled my order for three PO's

I bought all 3 units in a belief that those would be in stock and ship immediately. It pisses me off that they will delay the order until all 3 items are in stock. Also their email responses are somehow vague, even though they are apologizing all the time.

From email:
"Unfortunately it’s impossible to say how fast it is going to take. We
should get weekly deliveries from the factory, but anything could go
wrong so we can only give estimates."

Impossible to say… It could go wrong. It went wrong already.

My order number was 1954??

Good for you. They don’t deserve the majority of the orders they recieved. I on the other hand will impatiently wait for God knows how long. Maybe I’ll even cancel my order right before it ships. Wouldn’t that be fantastic.

They oversold. It happens. Especially with smaller companies like this. In hindsight, it was not the best idea to launch a new website as they did, on the day these went on sale. They also could have proclaimed that stock was limited.

They also openly said that there was heavy demand and they would fill the orders first come, first served and that their email response times are due in part to that. They even did not discourage asking for refunds. Obviously you had no issue with that.

These things happen. It could have been planned better, but it is done now and I’m sure it will be a learning experience for all involved. Patience is a virtue.

Ps. Your order number is pretty high. I’m 183xxx, and that hasn’t even been fille

Ps. Your order number is pretty high. I'm 183xxx, and that hasn't even been fille

There was 12400 units sold between your and my order. And for me the system said “in stock”.

TE could have avoided all this by adding a counter to their webshop, it’s not that difficult technically. If yoy say it’s in stock, then it’s in stock. You don’t put a “in stock” label if it doesn’t resemble the status of the stock. So they had atleast 12400 units “time” to react to this issue. For me this is not like they telling us, I guess they just used this opportunity and took customers money.

I’m considering cancelling my order and putting the money towards a new iPad that can take Korg Gadget.

I completely agree that they should have had a stock counter on the site then after it reached a limit the shop switched to “pre-order”.

I’ll hold off for a little longer to see how it all pans out.

the operator1 was hard to get in the early days. i think 1-2 years after the first run in 2010. :slight_smile:

hopefully we are waiting and hopefully everybody on operator-1.com will get their order and hopefully TE will go to the next step so the PO’s stay RARE!! :slight_smile:

I bought all 3 units in a belief that those would be in stock and ship immediately. It pisses me off that they will delay the order until all 3 items are in stock. Also their email responses are somehow vague, even though they are apologizing all the time.

Look at their price - there’s half the story. Obviously the units haven’t been manufactured yet and the factory are being vague about meeting deadlines, possibly because of tight budgets so more expensive orders may jump their queue. If you judge by the OP1’s quality, compromises are at play.

From email:
"Unfortunately it’s impossible to say how fast it is going to take. We should get weekly deliveries from the factory, but anything could go wrong so we can only give estimates."

It’s a new economy of not pointlessly manufacturing things like this unless they’d sell - if Apple delay shipping for weeks, imagine a tiny company like TE. Being honest and not selling something that you haven’t got in stock is nice and all that, but think how much the price was a factor in your decision to buy three, not one.

Also China shuts down for nearly a month for New Years, throwing a month delay in production

^ So sad… snif-snif :frowning:

Good point @sammyjams, maybe this is why they are unable to give accurate shipping dates.

TE could have avoided all this by adding a counter to their webshop, it's not that difficult technically. If yoy say it's in stock, then it's in stock. You don't put a "in stock" label if it doesn't resemble the status of the stock. So they had atleast 12400 units "time" to react to this issue. For me this is not like they telling us, I guess they just used this opportunity and took customers money.
Well, compare a line of HTML in a web page to the system to get a real time counter on your stocks...
It's not like the website is Amazon, it's more a pretty nutshell I guess...

Seems like they pushed the will to get back to the time of Game & Watch even in the way they handle orders.
Veritable artists
:D

I also ordered all 3, too. My order number is 183xxx and I expect to see something in the mail in March or April. I have to say I understand forum members’ frustration, thinking they were ordering something “in stock” only to be told it would 6-8 weeks for their order to arrive. But I am not feeling the same level of angst as some, thankfully. Mind you, I am not criticizing those who are upset, but I am not feeling the same way. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have a lot of fun with my PO’s when they finally do arrive. Peace to all who are feeling needy about this.

I am thinking that I want to use my PO’s with friends, maybe around the lunch table at work. Connect them all up with sync cables, and let everybody jam while recording the results. Maybe the same idea for a party: crowd sourced beat music!

Anyway, I just wanted to offer a slightly different view here. I think this will turn out cool eventually. :slight_smile: Peace to everyone…

First, patience is a virtue. My life is a series of pauses sprinkled with seconds of completion.

Second, I hope they do very well with these. I really want to see the TE team grow. (Personally want to see an op-2 someday).

For me the product value would have been to get something “hot” and “new” right away and experience with it as part of the first ones. I admit that my order was late (compared to others) but still it said “in stock” so I ordered. I was thinking of hacking it (I’m making my own synths) and maybe milling fully wooden enclosures (i have mill also) and stuff like that, to support the hype and TE.

Getting these things after many months after release is taking away the “newness” - value and after few months it’s just a simple, fragile, fully digital, bleepmaking machine. I was impulsive and I like to be. Probably I don’t regret this decision when the device is available and it might be that I don’t ever own a PO. I’ve been thinking of buying OP-1 but this just leaves bad taste, dunno how long the feeling stays.

ps. TE credited the order already to my Paypal account… 190 euros of free synth money - now basstation II is much more cheaper :slight_smile:

sounds like classic Teenage Engineering customer service to me!

i.e. piss poor

oh boys…

digital hacked synthesizers are the Analog Reissue in the Future.

…sooo shut it and wait!.. or go and buy new Arps feelin’ like early bowie on H.

Good for you @tsoon !

I just did the same. Kudos to TE for promptly issuing the refund. Less than four hours from the request to money in my Paypal account.

aaaaand this is exactly why i don’t order so soon after the bell. these kinds of issues and threads happen every time new gear is released, especially from boutique companies. seriously, every time. i’ve never understood the need to have to be the first to get the latest and greatest. but then again, i’m old… yet i still like to high five people. like jump really high, high five. here, let’s try… go!

@22tape It’s the same why I don’t understand the people sleeping at night in front of the Apple shop to get the newest Iphone or other toy.

And then everybody is clapping their hands cause you bought one. Funny and infantile.