KDJ-ONE vs. OP-1

Looks like a mess to me… Plus you can’t slide it up your sleeve!

Oh man… fail… that checklist is such a fail. Amazing they could be so stupid to post it really.

didn't they already try to make this a couple years ago? what was that thing.. they took presales i think even, then vanished

Yup, we discussed this thing back then. The design had problems back then (cluttered, unattractive, etc.) and this latest iteration doesn’t look like an improvement.

Oh man... fail... that checklist is such a fail. Amazing they could be so stupid to post it really.

When I think about it, the limits are one of the OP-1’s strengths. Adding more options is actually a bug rather than feature, lol.

if this comes out someone will take the sdk and make a better interface and it may outsell the op-1. something like jj-os for the mpc series. biggest complaint folks have for the op-1 is the $ bottom line.

And this thing is going to cost $799 at retail. So it’s not a huge deal in comparison unless you get in early on the Kickstarter.

And this thing is going to cost $799 at retail. So it's not a huge deal in comparison unless you get in early on the Kickstarter.

Funny how they don’t mention that in the chart . . . lol, morons

everyday that goes by and my abilities and fluidness increases on my op1 I am further reminded that i made the right musical purchase all those years ago… It really has become the musical extension of myself(instrument) i knew i could develop it to be. It has been a long road and its nowhere near complete. But hot dang i really love my op1.

Hmmm it’s rather amusing lol. It’s cheap enough though, I may get one when/if it actually comes out, do not trust these kickstarters worth crap lol. Not too shabby but that’s pretty arrogant to compare itself to the OP-1 like that, a current generation IPad could trounce this thing in every aspect of performance and they are proven and can be had for the same if not cheaper price… Just my thoughts.

Seems pretty cool. To be honest, there were several moments over the weekend that I wanted to back it. I’ll wait until it comes out to decide if it’s worth it. Looks pretty bulky now, and seeing DJ Sid(why him?) using the touch screen to add notes made me think of an ipad.

I’m into portable workstations outside a laptop/tablet(qy70, mpc500, all of Korg’s battery powered stuff, sp404, etc), so of course the KDJ caught my eye a few years back. I’ve been searching for the best portable option and so far I’ve found it in the OP-1. Has everything I would ever need, except for mass sample storage, but I already have a workaround for that. Made some wicked patches already and had fun doing so. Although I haven’t tried to inc it with Ableton yet, I look forward to the duo. Spent the money I was gonna use on an Electribe for it. Just hope I learn how to service it myself( can’t bear to send off the machine overseas for weeks).

Yeah the chart is stupid. To be fair, they did give the OP-1 props. They just know that everybody wants an OP-1, but is expensive and that’s where they come in.

The piano roll looks like such a pain to operate with the touch screen. I, really into the simplistic interfaces when it comes to that stuff.

To me there is another important fact:

TE proved, that they are able to continuously improve the firmware and add innovative features. They care for their product, they come up with ideas that amaze me, because I could hardly have come up with them myself. And sometimes they even listen to their users ;).

Cyberstep proved, that they are able to produce vaporware in the first place. And that they are able to design a product that is already outdated, when it comes out. If the user needs a stylus to use your touchscreen, you should rethink your interface. The only valid point in favor of the KDJ is the velocity-sensitive keyboard – but I doubt it is fun to play, judging by the size of the keys.

I initially liked the idea of a portable workstation, when I first saw the KDJ One. But that was before I even heard of the OP-1, before I saw the new Korg Electribe, of course, and before I tried Apps like Korg Gadget on my iPad.

If some haters call the OP-1 an overpriced toy, I can’t wait to hear what they will call the KDJ One.
The piano roll looks like such a pain to operate with the touch screen. I, really into the simplistic interfaces when it comes to that stuff.

I actually found the piano roll in Korg M01D (on Nintendo 3DS) to be quite usable with a stylus. Not a perfect UI but workable.

KDJ-One appears to be inspired by Nintendo 3DS and the music creation apps for it, but without the design innovations of the OP-1. It’s just an existing concept (the 3DS) with some stuff slapped on top of it in seemingly random fashion.

I actually found the piano roll in Korg M01D (on Nintendo 3DS) to be quite usable with a stylus. Not a perfect UI but workable.

KDJ-One appears to be inspired by Nintendo 3DS and the music creation apps for it, but without the design innovations of the OP-1. It’s just an existing concept (the 3DS) with some stuff slapped on top of it in seemingly random fashion.

Very interesting point! I’ve always thought the M1 “game?” haha looked sick. Was hoping it would come out for iPad. I’d much rather have a DS and the Korg synth than the KDJ1. Because you can play games on it too. Lol you can even play a video game on the OP-1! See if the interface was like a game that would be sick. That is what the OP-1 is like, it’s fun like playing a video game.

Korg M01D has a good design. You can use the analog joystick to quickly navigate scenes and the piano roll - that does lend a “video game” ish feel. I think you can use the direction pad and the L and R buttons in the back too, but I forget. Tempo changes are easy to do. You can set an arbitrary number of steps between 16 and 64, for example 28 steps for a 7/4 rhythm. The limitations: You can only set Velocity and Gate (note length) per note event. No synth editing, not even filter. You do get effects but I didn’t dig too deeply into them. I don’t know if the real M1 had the same limitations. In any case, M01D is great for whipping together a tune in a hurry, when you’re not concerned about deep synthesis or anything like that. It’s kinda funny to have a workstation synth in your pocket that in an earlier incarnation once sold for over $2000 new. BTW, it does have THAT piano and THAT organ that was used in Italo and other dance styles in the early 90s after producers got their hands on M1s being dumped for cheap when the “next great thing” came along (Triton or whatever).

Here’s the tune I did on M01D - tribute to the late Frankie Knuckles:
https://soundcloud.com/governorsilver/chez-knuckles-korg-m01d-version

Here’s the official demo song that sounds like a lost track from Chrono Trigger or something:
http://youtu.be/t47ILCCKDt8

Bumping this one. The project is being delayed as expected. As I said before, I don’t trust these kinds of kickstarters worth a damn but the device looks very interesting and for $400 a good value that I would instantly add to the collection once it becomes regularly available.

If anyone is expecting a KDJ-One please check in with your thoughts once receiving the device.

werent these supposed to come out 3 years ago???

[Laugh Emote] ^Yup! Got a soft spot for these little gadgets (TWSS!), It maybe a good companion piece for the OP-1… In that you can use it to record your OP-1 (instead of being limited to the OP-1’s 4 tracks)… Hopefully it has some good effects built in, maybe some unique tricks. I can see a synergy between the two, in that you can get tracks going back and forth and sketch things out very quickly than on the OP-1 alone or dual OP-1’s.

Meh, it’s good if your iPad is out of space or dedicated to other things. God just hurry up already…

Vaporware

Very interesting point! I've always thought the M1 "game?" haha looked sick. Was hoping it would come out for iPad.

Side note, got what I wanted M1 for iPad and it’s really really sweet.

Vaporware

Now now, that’s not a very nice thing to say, they’re working very very hard on this [Grin Emote]. As I understand, it is a last minute manufacturing delay. Hopefully the problem is being sorted out and it wont end up being postponed for another month. These things happen [Smile Emote]