Keystep > OP-1

Alright guys, sorry if this is a silly question but…

I have a Kenton USB Midi host which i use to connect my Arturia Keystep to OP-1. All is good, except when i want to produce on the go or just chilling in the garden / on the sofa, you need power to run the Kenton. Bit of a pain.

My question is, the Keystep has all sorts of connectivity possibilities. It allows midi and power over USB to connect to a computer etc. So could i use one of these to connect to OP-1 directly??..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351757995665?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=38904455432&rlsatarget=pla-278028090134&adtype=pla&poi&googleloc=9045440&device=m&campaignid=738208994&crdt=0&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F710-134428-41853-0%2F2%3Fmtid%3D1673%26kwid%3D1%26crlp%3D172730110780_563391%26itemid%3D351757995665%26targetid%3D278028090134%26device%3Dm%26mpre%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww.ebay.co.uk%252fitm%252flike%252f351757995665%253flpid%253d122%2526chn%253Dps%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D9045440%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D738208994%26adgroupid%3D38904455432%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-278028090134%26gclid%3DCj0KEQiAt9vEBRDQmPSow-q5gs8BEiQAaWSEDkQQSbxYYvZB4vuOwCgpluIUZdiMbTDG6_ANth4IBlcaAj8G8P8HAQ%26srcrot%3D710-134428-41853-0%26rvr_id%3D1163658586497

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

Nick

Unless the keystep can act as a host. It won’t work… I don’t think.

However, could you power your Kenton via the USB port on the keystep?

Have you got a smartphone?

u can power the kenton w/ a usb battery and a usb to dc barrel cable.

u can power the kenton w/ a usb battery and a usb to dc barrel cable.

Cheers mate, the kenton is actually mini usb powered, not DC, so yeah it’d be easy to use a USB power pack

Have you got a smartphone?

I have an android phone and tablet, never used it for midi routing so any advice would be appreciated.

Unless the keystep can act as a host. It won’t work… I don’t think.

However, could you power your Kenton via the USB port on the keystep?

The cable is a host cable mate, i think the keystep, as long as it has power (which it would be drawing from OP-1) would send midi…i think!

It’s a USB on-the-go cable, it wouldn’t cost this if it itself was a host. I wouldn’t expect it to work.

@lescour1 are you asking for help or telling us all exactly what we should know?

Kenton USB MIDI Host uses 5V DC power. USB also uses 5V DC power. So mini USB power = 5V DC. The problem is that the input is a barrel jack. So as someone suggested, use an appropriate barrel jack to USB adapter with a USB battery power pack.

The cable is not host. It is a set of wires.

The OP-1 USB mini jack probably does not power devices. The USB standards are designed in a way that jacks like the ones on your computer or charger provide power, and the ones like micro and mini jacks receive power. But you are certainly welcome to give it a shot at the cost of the cable.

You will absolutely still need the Kenton, though. It is the only MIDI USB Host you have. The Keystep and OP-1 are not USB Hosts. Since the Kenton cannot accept a USB Hub, you would need 2 of them in order to connect the OP-1 and Keystep. Or you can get a more expensive USB MIDI Host that will allow for this feature.

@lescour1 are you asking for help or telling us all exactly what we should know?

Kenton USB MIDI Host uses 5V DC power. USB also uses 5V DC power. So mini USB power = 5V DC. The problem is that the input is a barrel jack. So as someone suggested, use an appropriate barrel jack to USB adapter with a USB battery power pack.

The cable is not host. It is a set of wires.

The OP-1 USB mini jack probably does not power devices. The USB standards are designed in a way that jacks like the ones on your computer or charger provide power, and the ones like micro and mini jacks receive power. But you are certainly welcome to give it a shot at the cost of the cable.

You will absolutely still need the Kenton, though. It is the only MIDI USB Host you have. The Keystep and OP-1 are not USB Hosts. Since the Kenton cannot accept a USB Hub, you would need 2 of them in order to connect the OP-1 and Keystep. Or you can get a more expensive USB MIDI Host that will allow for this feature.

Firstly, chill out. Yes i am asking for help.

Secondly the Kenton absolutely is not a barrel jack, it is powered by mini USB. You should look up the facts before talking to me in a patronising way.

It is a simple enough question. If it cant be done, then it cant be done. Fair enough.

Thanks everyone else for their input.

@lescour1 See that symbol on the top left? That’s the sign for a center positive barrel jack

IMG_0216

If you have a different device let us know, this is the only USB Midi host I could find on the Kenton web site.

That is not a barrel jack, unless i am going blind

https://ia601506.us.archive.org/3/items/IMG20170206193924/IMG_20170206_193924.jpg

https://ia601506.us.archive.org/3/items/IMG20170206193924/IMG_20170206_193943.jpg

So you have a different device then. Most likely the mk2 version. So please, chill, and put the correct facts on the table before you patronise someone who actually made an effort to help you.

Correct facts? I don’t understand, i appreciate any help but i clearly stated that my Kenton was powered via mini USB?!!

I was going off the same image as @crudeoperator. And between claiming you don’t know, and then insisting you do know once someone offers the correct info, telling people to chill and then being snarky in reply versus spending your own time “looking up the facts,” I have very little reason to chill. Don’t claim ignorance and reply with arrogance. Clearly you needed help, and we are all willing to help (in fact there is an entire thread solely dedicated to MIDI USB Host help) – but when people offer correct answers and you insist they are wrong, we have very little reason to convince you otherwise. Admittedly this is a pet-peeve of mine.

But to put an end to this –

Power doesn’t seem to be an issue for you. You seem to have that covered.

As far as getting MIDI data to/from Keystep and OP-1, after looking more into the Keystep, you can hook it up via MIDI DIN to the Kenton and attach the OP-1 to the USB. That will get you what you need. You cannot hookup the USB ports directly, since neither device acts as a USB Host. So if you already own the Kenton, just hook it up and away you go.

I was going off the same image as @crudeoperator. And between claiming you don’t know, and then insisting you do know once someone offers the correct info, telling people to chill and then being snarky in reply versus spending your own time “looking up the facts,” I have very little reason to chill. Don’t claim ignorance and reply with arrogance. Clearly you needed help, and we are all willing to help (in fact there is an entire thread solely dedicated to MIDI USB Host help) – but when people offer correct answers and you insist they are wrong, we have very little reason to convince you otherwise. Admittedly this is a pet-peeve of mine.
Apologies for any confusion, but I wasn’t asking how to power my Kenton hub. This thread was asking about a USB lead which i was curious as to whether i could eliminate the hub altogether outside the studio, as it would allow to directly connect my keystep via USB into the OP-1. I was curious as to whether it would a) provide power and b) send midi.

I appreciate any help but you opened with the line…"are you asking for help or telling us all exactly what we should know?"

To me that is patronising, and deserved a patronising response. Im not here to argue, but how did i ‘claim i didn’t know’?

I never asked about how to power my Kenton, i have it plugged in right now via a USB battery pack. If this is my only option then fair enough
But to put an end to this --

Power doesn't seem to be an issue for you. You seem to have that covered.

As far as getting MIDI data to/from Keystep and OP-1, after looking more into the Keystep, you can hook it up via MIDI DIN to the Kenton and attach the OP-1 to the USB. That will get you what you need. You cannot hookup the USB ports directly, since neither device acts as a USB Host. So if you already own the Kenton, just hook it up and away you go.

Yes this is my current setup. I am happy to do this, i was just merely wondering about alternatives. Thanks for your time

Since you already have to use the Kenton, then just run the Keystep off the same battery pack.

known hosts:

• kenton usb host
  • iconnectmidi v1, iconnectmidi 4
  • ipad + CCK
  • iphone + CCK
  • computer
…and generally devices that can accommodate a USB-A type connector without a special cable/adapter. If only power is an issue, use a powered hub (usb1 or 2 but not usb3)

But to put an end to this --

Power doesn't seem to be an issue for you. You seem to have that covered.

Yes this is my current setup. I am happy to do this, i was just merely wondering about alternatives. Thanks for your time

Are you really into using the keystep to control your op thru arp? If not I would just eliminate the keystep when you leave the studio anyway. You can mimic the sequencer very easily with endless sequence and even the arp too , minus the keysteps swing and gate settings. I have all three of the devices in question and I chose to leave Kenton and keystep in a permanent spot and use the op by itself when I want to go outside, etc. I just mean if the issue is having too many instruments and boxes, I’d eleiminate the big keyboard before the Kenton box bugged me ya know…?