Korg Microsampler

Mine’s been mostly collecting dust for a year or so but started using it more again this week. Korg got some things very very right with this unit -

• Sample per key (would love that option in op-1 drums.)

• Time stretch option when playing a sample chromatically, cool for chords and loops etc. (would love to see this option on op-1 synth sampler. And also OT but sadly ‘polyphonic sample’ is never gonna happen on OT.)

• honorable mentions -
    fast resampling with options to resample over ‘self’.
    If I remember right I think it also has option to resample the same length as original sample. This should be staple option on all samplers! Sucks having to trim the same loop every time it’s resampled…
    Nice sampling mode options.

Unfortunately most of the rest of the machine and sample export etc isnt so well thought out and pretty undercooked/awkward in areas etc. Still a cool box to have around tho. Fun unit that korg could have updated and made pretty special… Damn companies bailing on products and missing their potential, always bugs me…

I used mine yesterday and had fun with it, still have two tracks inside to get finished.
I recently found out about the shift +exit (

What’s the scoop on ‘shift + exit’?

I used mine yesterday and had fun with it, still have two tracks inside to get finished.
I recently found out about the shift +exit function which is nice for live.
It often gets chaotic with mute and unmute, especially when switching between sample and keyboard mode.
Another thing I don’t get is, why it’s that fast out of sync whilst in loop mode even when you’re sampling live in bars not seconds?!
But I usually like to discover the MS and still like the look of it.

Shift and Exit is to stop all samples that are playing, nice to make a cut up edit of your loop in the sequencer.

Ah cool, thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

Yeah, I like the MS too. Kinda wish I’d grabbed another one when they were going stupid cheap just before being discontinued…

I bought mine new for €299 back then…

And I like it in combination with the kaossilator the most or my records of course.

I liked mine for the same reasons as mentioned, but the Volca sample made it redundant for me so I sold it. Korg never seem to get samplers right, always crippled in some way, but they often do get the immediacy and fun right which a lot of other samplers do not, except of course the OP-1.

I liked mine for the same reasons as mentioned, but the Volca sample made it redundant for me so I sold it. Korg never seem to get samplers right, always crippled in some way, but they often do get the immediacy and fun right which a lot of other samplers do not, except of course the OP-1.

VOLCA sample is a rad box but with no inputs and the tiny memory space i don’t find much overlap with Microsampler, for me at least. Guess you were using shorter samples/very few loops? Reminds me I need to refill my VS. Feel guilty every time I see it on the shelf going un-used! My daughters are big fans of that box too :wink:

I’ve got a Korg MicroSampler too and also just took it out a few weeks ago to play with it again. I like it a lot but never found much use for it since the music I make isn’t necessarily loop-based. I bought more for the idea of laying out sequences on the keys and triggering them in different patterns to create variations. I’ve considered selling it since I’m not entirely certain I’ll ever get that much use out of it…

Have any of you found another software/hardware app/device that allows you to sample with threshold recording and length (bars or otherwise) of recording?

I was trying to find an alternative, but have been unable to find something that works that same. I can create a bunch of loops in the OP-1 or elsewhere and then just use the microSAMPLER to record them (with threshold recording, so I don’t have to hit a button at the right time) as perfect loops (setting the BPM first) without having to adjust the ends of the loop (you can set the bars of the recording so it stops automatically).

So for instance you can set it up to record 4 bars at 135 BPM and start recording as soon as the audio threshold reaches a certain level. Then start playing something (don’t have to wait for countdown, it just starts recording!) and the start and ends of the loop will be perfect so you don’t have to go back and adjust them for a perfect loop.

The new Ableton slice modes work a lot like the Microsampler.

Does it have threshold recording and loop length record. I don't recall seeing those things, but I will have another look.

??? How do you directly record into simpler or sampler? And where is there threshold recording and loop length for the either of the devices? I will look more, but I might be missing something.

Do you use a microSAMPLER? Not trying to be snaky, just wondering if my explanation of how it works was misread.

??? How do you directly record into simpler or sampler? And where is there threshold recording and loop length for the either of the devices? I will look more, but I might be missing something.

Do you use a microSAMPLER? Not trying to be snaky, just wondering if my explanation of how it works was misread.

It can do this thing.
https://instagram.com/p/9xG8eUGh4i/

Also you can’t record directly into simpler. You just record into Ableton then drop it in and slice from there.

Sorry, I think I am either misunderstanding you or you me. I appreciate you trying, though. I will see if I can find a video or clip that will show you what I mean.

<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13.3333px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”>So for instance I can set it up to record 4 bars at 135 BPM and to start recording as soon as the audio threshold reaches a certain level. Then start playing (guitar, piano, synth, singing) something (I don’t have to wait for countdown or push another button, it just starts recording!) and the start and ends of the loop will be perfect so I don’t have to go back and adjust them for a perfect loop. I can also set it to automatically slice at a certain time period as well (bars, 16ths, etc.)

So for instance:
  • Select Loop record
  • Set threshold of volume to start recording (1 to 10 I think)
  • Set length of recording (4 bars for instance)
  • Select which key to sample to
  • Push sample button (It will wait for the audio threshold to be reached)
  • Start playing my instrument or whatever
  • The microSAMPLER will automatically start recording and stops after 4 bars

I can now hit the key and it will have a perfect 4 bar loop on it, without editing. This allows me to really just get on with recording and playing without losing much steam.

Does that make more sense of what I am looking for?

No there isn’t anything like that in ableton or push afaik. I was just commenting that Ableton has Pad Slice a la microsampler which is one of its coolest features IMO

No there isn't anything like that in ableton or push afaik. I was just commenting that Ableton has Pad Slice a la microsampler which is one of its coolest features IMO

No problem, ever few months or so I look around for something similar and I know there must be something that does that same thing in software or a smaller device, but for the life of me I can’t find it… So if anything else comes to mind, please let me know and I will research it further.