Lego wheels as knob grips

Optional extra! 2 knobs with one finger:

Part: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=x939#T=C

Raided my collection last month, found a couple sets of tires that worked. Awesome grip!

I’ve for to check my old LEGO box, Great idea guys

Do you think they'll notice?!

RenderedContent-5C6D73FC-CF43-4BCA-8F26-F3EB7A7C62C5
Thank you for his great hint. Today she looked at my modded op1 for a long time and complained that the LEGO vehicle does not feel as good when playing with the rubber wheels off, and that I already know that she enjoys turning the wheels of my music toys because they feel good and the LEGO thing does not have that feeling any more. Maybe it was a mistake to let her play with the jungle-car (which I only bought for the op-1 upgrade) before my op-1 arrived.
Do you think they'll notice?!

RenderedContent-5C6D73FC-CF43-4BCA-8F26-F3EB7A7C62C5
Thank you for his great hint. Today she looked at my modded op1 for a long time and complained that the LEGO vehicle does not feel as good when playing with the rubber wheels off, and that I already know that she enjoys turning the wheels of my music toys because they feel good and the LEGO thing does not have that feeling any more. Maybe it was a mistake to let her play with the jungle-car (which I only bought for the op-1 upgrade) before my op-1 arrived.

Amateur mistake there :slight_smile:

Ha! I gave my tire-less ATV kit to a friend with two young boys. He assured me that the lack of tires was absolutely not a problem.

It seems silly, but I seriously enjoy turning the knobs far more now that they’re super-grippy and big

Very nice. I’ve just ordered some, even though I still haven’t bought the Op-1yet. Ha!

So I now have 28 of these tyres (yes I know) and a new Op-1.

It’s amazing how such a simple thing can alter the UI experience. About 6 months back I borrowed a friends Op-1, to see if I wanted to buy another Op-1 (previous user)

At that time I decided not to get another one, but it’s only now, using these Lego tyres that I realise how much I disliked using the encoders and how that probably affected my decision. With these Lego tyres you can turn quicker, use 1 finger and it’s easier to turn more than 1 encoder with one hand.

Could anyone point me to the amazon page that sells these guys? Thanks! I just want to make sure I get the correct size

I got mine from here.
https://www.brickowl.com/

Hmmmm, found an 87697 @docshermsticks / @el_wombato and it is too loose. Here's a quick YT vid:

https://youtu.be/DPj2jHjJ8ls

Green = 28290
Orange = 87697

Quite surprised there is variation in LEGO stuff, their Quality Control is in my experience pretty top notch.

Break off a little piece of a toothpick and jam it between the tire and knob. It should grip it. Or instead of toothpick, maybe some plastic wrap, a bit of pencil eraser, rubber band…

So I now have 28 of these tyres (yes I know) and a new Op-1.

It’s amazing how such a simple thing can alter the UI experience. About 6 months back I borrowed a friends Op-1, to see if I wanted to buy another Op-1 (previous user)

At that time I decided not to get another one, but it’s only now, using these Lego tyres that I realise how much I disliked using the encoders and how that probably affected my decision. With these Lego tyres you can turn quicker, use 1 finger and it’s easier to turn more than 1 encoder with one hand.

The Chroma Caps are awesome too

Thanks for pointing those out. I’ll get a set to compare.

Cheers

I just read that LEGO was the largest tire manufacturer in the world, immediately thought of this thread.

I just read that LEGO was the largest tire manufacturer in the world, immediately thought of this thread.

:smiley:

The 87697 tires were a bit loose for me, but I was able to get a great fit by cutting a slip of paper about 1/4" by 3.5" and wrapping it tightly around the encoder. With this paper “shim” the tire grips tightly.

I used 87697 on the volume knob, and 28290 on the four encoders. This is a fantastic modification! Being able to roll those knobs around with one finger is well worth the few dollars I spent.

Just did mine…much better and looks cool as fuck!

I’ve found that most of the smaller wheels will stretch to fit the diameter, but it takes 2 of those per knob to cover vertically.

Also, if the larger wheels are slipping you can use a little thread tape on the knob for a tighter fit.

I prefer alternating knob sizes to prevent accidentally nudging the neighbor - when scratching with tape tricks on the tape screen it can be easy to bump the green knob and shift a loop point.