Mic Gain minimum level is too hot

Hey yo!

Havin’ a good old jam the other day with some pals, and I had my Z out.

The gain on the mic is controlled by pressing project or mixer for up/down when the accelerometer activates the mic… However, at minimum, I get zero output (muted), at one step up from minimum I get feedback. AFAICT, there is no other way to control the gain, amirite??? I need some kind of setting between silent & feedback, plz :rofl: am I missing somethin?

You need to use headphones!

1 Like

Or turn the master volume down…

1 Like

Thanks for your input, but both these solutions are pretty suck. Headphones won’t work because this is for live performance, so I need FOH. Master volume is about as hacky a workaround as I can imagine. No offence is meant at all. The problem is that if I need to use master, then my beat volume has to be based around the vocal level. More resolution on the gain would be the ideal solution. Or a secondary gain / trim or attenuator to have a usable level of control over the mic.

Plz TE. I love you long time.

You can sample your voice, then turn it up after… there is no way your gonna play the opz loud and use the mic… is right next to the speaker, feedback will just happen. Nothing you can do about it.

Thanks for engaging in the convo. The thing is, I don’t want to sample in this instance, but perform live vocals. The issue is simply insufficient control of the input level gain / attenuation. If this was lower, there would be no feedback. I say this as a professional live sound engineer of many years. No disrespect, but your statement that “feedback will just happen” is incorrect. I wasn’t right next to the speaker, but a few metres away, off axis (not sure of polar pattern of mic, it’s maybe omni? But sufficiently low input gain will always stop feedback…) If there is some technical issue meaning the gain cannot be lowered beyond it’s current level, a simple pad / trim / secondary attenuator should still do the job… There’s always that shift button :slight_smile:

He means the OP-Z speaker, not a stage monitor.

Oh, I see! That makes a lot more sense… Yeah, I’m in a live performance situation, so it’s FOH, like I mentioned. ie. Front Of House, or a PA.

The mic and speaker are very close together on the OP-Z - so their use is mutually exclusive. In a live situation, you wouldn’t be expecting to use the onboard speaker anyways.

I think the onboard speaker rarely adds value - only being useful in an exception when you can’t use earphones. The advent of sampling, through feedback, is underlining this use-case to folk quite suddenly.

CB

I’m using front of house. I’m not using the internal speaker.

Oh I see, well I have found you can get are control over the mic gain by using the reverb settings, maybe add alittle reverb and it seems to smooth it out alittle so is less likely to feedback, not a great solution but might work.

Just tried it pointing at a speaker it feedbacks. But turn it alittle bit and no feedback. Just like every other mic i ever used near a speaker.

1 Like

Haha, come on! The point is the mic gain within a working environment. Control of the gain is nerfed on account of the lowest setting being mute, and the next one up producing feedback.

How often are you in a situation where you can move away from a speaker sufficiently far enough to stop feedback? Sometimes that is possible, albeit likely inconvenient, and other times it’s effectively impossible.

Why do I feel like some of y’all are defending 5he mic gain functionality of the OPz to an almost religious extent? :joy::joy::joy: We can confess that parts of the whole are not good without saying the whole is bad.

1 Like

Singers do it all the time. It really sounds like you are trolling or that you missed some gain setting. :slight_smile:

Haha, who’s trolling? :man_facepalming: the key is in what you just said: did I miss some gain setting or did I not miss some gain setting? If I did, that I humbly will accept any guidance. If I didn’t, then the OPZ mic gain control is lacking. Those are the two most likely truths of it. Doesn’t look like I have missed a setting though. I’m aware I could turn my amp down, but as I mentioned before this is not always practical. and just a bit more control over the mic gain or a pad / attenuator would be great.

Anyways, it’s all good. Adjust the solution of moving away from the speaker for instance in the scenario I was in I would have had to have left the room. now for starters my cable wasn’t long enough and secondly I didn’t really want to be out of the room because the people I was performing with were in that same room.

I guess you’re are offering work-around solutions? That’s fine, but let’s be clear that it does not represent the crux of the issue that I was asking about, which is control over the mic gain.

I realise that this is is (at least somewhat) on me, but I find it maddening that I have to over explain :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

This is the last thing i will post. Do with this info what you want.
And don’t forget to have fun! :slight_smile:

Hahahaha, WTF.

You’re the ultimate troll. Kudos.

Can you tell me what the definition of annoying is too?

Yes i can
annoying =
1: user error presented as a bug.
2: endless negativity on a forum that is supposed to be about helping each other and about our mutual preference for given brand.
:dizzy_face:

1 Like

I’ll have to agree 100%. I try to go here for inspiration and knowledge. But 60% of the stuff here is very negative stuff. Bummer.

Listen, you can make statements, and keep repeating yourself, but at the end of the day it’s far as I can see you’re not presenting and he support for what you’re saying other than a link to a Wikipedia article. Which doesn’t actually support your argument it just defines what feedback is.

I agree that this forum is ideally about helping each other. so if you’d like to put your pride aside and actually take a moment to consider the functionality of control over a microphone preamp, then perhaps that could be established.

if a singer is moving away from a speaker because of feedback then it is more often than not a case of user error, and the gain and attenuation settings have not been correctly set up. I don’t know what kind of venues are used to playing at, but as a professional sound guy of many years who’s worked in world class venues I can assure you that a correctly set gain will eliminate feedback, this is of course excluding if the microphone is placed directly in front of the speaker, especially on axis , if the microphone is using a non omni polar pattern.

I apologise if I hit a nerve by saying that some people on this forum have an almost religious compulsion to defend teenage engineering and their products in spite of all logic, but I’m just speaking the truth as I see it.

I’ll continue to be an honest and where I can helpful part of this forum.

2 Likes