MPC-style controller (without all that other stuff)

So I want to make a sample-based project. I don’t really need a stand-alone sampler like the Octatrack (though I want one like basically everyone else does) and the only stand-alone sampler coming down the pipe is that Pioneer one that costs a lot of money and isn’t out yet.

So I’mma do all my sampling on the computer, but I want to play those samples somewhat organically instead of just dragging them into Ableton sequences.

Thus, I’d like something with nice velocity sensitive pads and that’s about it, really. What’s out there that fits the bill?

arturia beatstep, akai mpd 216, korg pad kontrol 2, all 16 pads with not much else.

Beatstep looks like it fits the bill. Don’t really care about the sequencer part but it’s cheap and has good reviews.

M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro is fantastic. I got one on impulse because it was going cheap and I’m still surprised at how good it is. Definitely worth considering.

Get a proper MPC. I have an MPC 60 and its a dream pairing with the OP-1. The OP-1 is great but the sequencers are too fiddly and restrictive for drums. The MPC is just so immediate, instant mojo/vibe and has things like velocity, micro timing, overdub with shorter/longer release plus killer swing and crunchy sound. I just spend 10 minutes doing a nice 32 step pattern and then resample it into the OP-1 and jam away

if you’re gunna pre-prepare samples you could use an MPX-8 or 16

http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpx16

then you wouldn’t need your computer for shows… if you’re doing shows.
Get a proper MPC. I have an MPC 60 and its a dream pairing with the OP-1. The OP-1 is great but the sequencers are too fiddly and restrictive for drums. The MPC is just so immediate, instant mojo/vibe and has things like velocity, micro timing, overdub with shorter/longer release plus killer swing and crunchy sound. I just spend 10 minutes doing a nice 32 step pattern and then resample it into the OP-1 and jam away

Also long time MPC user here (1K on JJOS2XL), just came back from vacation where I took the OP-1. I spent days with it and got frustrated with it as I was doing my drum loops as live loops on the keys and got bored. Started to think that I could not wait to go back and make beats on the MPC again as it has it all, and it does.

In the meantime I revisited the endless sequencer and found out that taking notes on the side as this picture shows helps loads when creating drum sequences as the endless seq doesn’t give you much to look at when programming. Since I took that pic I have pages of drum grids :slight_smile: I love my MPC to bits but the immediacy of the OP-1 wins all the time. Of course the way you create your drums with the endless sequencer is not as fun as on the MPC, and it clearly does not have all the bells and whistles you described earlier, as well as post editing. Taking notes however makes it a bit special and unique, because you give your breaks funky names in your own handwriting etc etc.

As the MPC, the OP-1’s “endless sequencer” does an automatic choke group on the whole drum program (one slice sequenced cuts off the audio previous one) which is perfect for drums mpc-style. And you can tweak the swing and time signature. The fact that you can tune the “key” of your whole drum program directly on the keys is a big plus that my MPC can’t do as easily.

There are pros and cons for both obviously but this making grid notes business brought me into yet another OP-1 honey moon. It really is the only machine which keeps me away from my MPC.

@Jellygeist Hopefully I didn’t hijack the thread too much. Cheers

@lefilou No worries boss, 50% on topic is enough on topic for me

As for getting a full fledged MPC, I thought about it and scouted prices on eBay and they’re just too expensive.

Got some good suggestions here, though!

Hey @Jellygeist, if you only need the control surface, you may consider a used QuNeo : solid as a rock, easy switch from 8x8 grid controller to 4x4 finger-drumming surface… I really like mine.

@lefilou About drums on OP-1 : I love and abuse going up and down in the octave with the < > buttons in the lower left while the sequence is playing. You really change the sound of your drums radically with this, and in the lower octaves it goes totally lofi, which can be pretty cool sometimes with the right FX.
:slight_smile:
Your picture is a very nice trick, one that you may put in the Trips and Tricks section cause it’s just opened wide the Endless seq for me :slight_smile:

Anyone have experience with the MPC500? The compactness seems nice :slight_smile:

Hey @Jellygeist, if you only need the control surface, you may consider a used QuNeo : solid as a rock, easy switch from 8x8 grid controller to 4x4 finger-drumming surface... I really like mine.

@lefilou About drums on OP-1 : I love and abuse going up and down in the octave with the < > buttons in the lower left while the sequence is playing. You really change the sound of your drums radically with this, and in the lower octaves it goes totally lofi, which can be pretty cool sometimes with the right FX.
:)
Your picture is a very nice trick, one that you may put in the Trips and Tricks section cause it's just opened wide the Endless seq for me :)

DONE!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Hey @Jellygeist, if you only need the control surface, you may consider a used QuNeo : solid as a rock, easy switch from 8x8 grid controller to 4x4 finger-drumming surface... I really like mine.

:)
Your picture is a very nice trick, one that you may put in the Trips and Tricks section cause it's just opened wide the Endless seq for me :)

DONE!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Yes that grid picture is a great help. I will use that idea for bass patterns and some drums too. I do love the Endless seq - so immediate

I used to have the korg padControl and it is great.

However if you want more than just the surface you can’t go wrong with NI Maschine.

I used to have the korg padControl and it is great.
However if you want more than just the surface you can't go wrong with NI Maschine.

Maschine was something I looked at, but can’t really justify all the other stuff it does. Just gonna be a lazy son of a gun and let Ableton do the work.

Asked for the BeatStep for my birthday on June 21st. Lessie if I get my wish!

Used Push 1 is cheap. If you’re sampling in ableton anyway maybe worth a look? You wouldn’t have to use all its features but they’re there if you decide to dig deeper than just using as drum/sample pads.

A perk w/ the QuNeo is that it works w/ your iPad. I have a QuNexus, and it’s great for Finger Drumming. Very expressive.

Midifighter? Possibly selling mine shortly. :wink:

Akai MPD18

http://6be54c364949b623a3c0-4409a68c214f3a9eeca8d0265e9266c0.r0.cf2.rackcdn.com/456/images/mpd18_top_lg.png

Hey, so, I got the BeatStep.

It’s pretty nice, works how I want it to in Logic, but I’m trying to set it up to play the drum racks (one pad for the kick, etc) but it’s not working out so well.

Anybody have any experience setting this up?
@lefilou No worries boss, 50% on topic is enough on topic for me

As for getting a full fledged MPC, I thought about it and scouted prices on eBay and they're just too expensive.

Got some good suggestions here, though!
If you lurk eBay long enough you will find a reasonabley priced 1k, that is one purchase I doubt anyone could ever regret, If you want similar functionality, don't forget Yamaha's whole range of forgotten products from the 90's, it was some of the best gear ever made, make 80% of today's gear look stone age in comparison.