NAMM 2017 - Winter NAMM

Since owning an OP1, I’ve definitely thought there is a distinct gap in the market for a compact, tabletop multi FX unit with momentary buttons for live use etc. Stereo ins/outs, a (useable) stereo distortion/OD patch etc

The new Sonic State video of the MPC, wow! https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKodOV076YfLqFCAMmtRQi1AESWjI5vsvdb77effTQQyoTEk4hPYlxfMRHOBoko7NpMe29Wf&v=2IhSmq4WDMU

The new Sonic State video of the MPC, wow! https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKodOV076YfLqFCAMmtRQi1AESWjI5vsvdb77effTQQyoTEk4hPYlxfMRHOBoko7NpMe29Wf&v=2IhSmq4WDMU

Such a good balance of practical/creative uses on this thing. Obvs more creative features would be nice but in the right hands there’s plenty of avenues to make insteresting noise/compositions on this thing. And super useful workflow/functions/integration between shows/sofa/studio. I’ll get a lot of milage out of the Keygroup features too for diy instruments etc. Pre-ordering. Will just send it back if OS is full of bugs…

I’m worried if the op-1 would be neglected big time with the MPC live. Maybe making beats on the live, resampling back into op-1 and creating the beginnings of a composition…and remixing it back in the live

I'm worried if the op-1 would be neglected big time with the MPC live. Maybe making beats on the live, resampling back into op-1 and creating the beginnings of a composition...and remixing it back in the live

Not sure exactly how they’ll marry here yet but I’m a fan of the immediacy of Endless/Finger/Arpeggio on OP so it’ll make a sweet little USB controller sequencer at the very least. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of back and forth between the two with audio too like you say. This basically does away with most of the annoying limitations/hassles of OP1 for me. Might even be able to connect OP to Live and pull files off OP to make space on tape etc? Dunno if that would work via the USB?

I see the MPC live more as a replacement for my NI Maschine - something I can take to the living room and something that does not have a web browser to distract me.

On the other hand OP1 is much more portable and its limitations and lofi fx drive you towards more crazy results.
I am very tempted by the mpc but I am likely to still keep the op1.

I'm not sure where my disconnect is, but akai products just bore me. I did have many good years with the mpc 500 and 1000 though.
I'm not sure where my disconnect is, but akai products just bore me. I did have many good years with the mpc 500 and 1000 though.

I can see how people feel like that about mpcs. I never wanted one bad enough to cop one. I can think of a ton of Op1 style workflow creative functions possible on this new one tho. It basically has an 8 track op one tape recorder in it. With the option to chuck sections of that as loops/clips on to separate pads, if you wanted. Automation record with 4 fx PER PAD and 4 FX additionally on each program And master. Possibilities to get some crazy stuff going on, and super fast. + With undo/redo. And timestrech on pitched samples played across a keyboard/pads. And no tiny Op1 patch memory plus all the old standard mpc stuff. Even as a drum machine it would be worth the money in my eyes. Lay down beats super fast and tweak timing/variations in seconds on the touchscreen piano roll. Round Robin, lfo layer cycle etc. And obvs it fully integrates with Daw. All depends on the software. If it’s solid then I think akai might have nailed a new standard in functions/spec/price ratio… I’ll keep my Op1 for sure to buddy up with it but this Live is looking next level, at least for my current requirements…

I would imagine that grey interface becoming a little uninspiring so important to keep the OP-1 for creativity and using it to feed the MPC live

I found a picture of the opz dev board, maybe someone see something interesting there?

Do you have a high-res version of that?!

New Elektron ‘something’. Blurry pic posted on elektronauts. After they discontinued their digital units I guess most likely something in that area.

I found a picture of the opz dev board, maybe someone see something interesting there?

Do you have a high-res version of that?!

Sorry thats the only one I have :confused:

Found this mems microphone, looks pretty similar to the teaser.

I can see how people feel like that about mpcs. I never wanted one bad enough to cop one. I can think of a ton of Op1 style workflow creative functions possible on this new one tho. It basically has an 8 track op one tape recorder in it. With the option to chuck sections of that as loops/clips on to separate pads, if you wanted. Automation record with 4 fx PER PAD and 4 FX additionally on each program And master. Possibilities to get some crazy stuff going on, and super fast. + With undo/redo. And timestrech on pitched samples played across a keyboard/pads. And no tiny Op1 patch memory plus all the old standard mpc stuff. Even as a drum machine it would be worth the money in my eyes. Lay down beats super fast and tweak timing/variations in seconds on the touchscreen piano roll. Round Robin, lfo layer cycle etc. And obvs it fully integrates with Daw. All depends on the software. If it's solid then I think akai might have nailed a new standard in functions/spec/price ratio.. I'll keep my Op1 for sure to buddy up with it but this Live is looking next level, at least for my current requirements...

I am looking forward to lots of cheap MPC1000s turning up on eBay. :D
I can see how people feel like that about mpcs. I never wanted one bad enough to cop one. I can think of a ton of Op1 style workflow creative functions possible on this new one tho. It basically has an 8 track op one tape recorder in it. With the option to chuck sections of that as loops/clips on to separate pads, if you wanted. Automation record with 4 fx PER PAD and 4 FX additionally on each program And master. Possibilities to get some crazy stuff going on, and super fast. + With undo/redo. And timestrech on pitched samples played across a keyboard/pads. And no tiny Op1 patch memory plus all the old standard mpc stuff. Even as a drum machine it would be worth the money in my eyes. Lay down beats super fast and tweak timing/variations in seconds on the touchscreen piano roll. Round Robin, lfo layer cycle etc. And obvs it fully integrates with Daw. All depends on the software. If it's solid then I think akai might have nailed a new standard in functions/spec/price ratio.. I'll keep my Op1 for sure to buddy up with it but this Live is looking next level, at least for my current requirements...

I am looking forward to lots of cheap MPC1000s turning up on eBay. :D

Came close to grabbing a 1000 a few times but other gear pulled me away. Excited for the Live tho. Yeah, I’d guess the used market will definitely be jammed with a bunch of mpc models going cheap now, enjoy! :slight_smile:

So exciting…
No trigs… Mixer !

Mixer ? Where do you see those ? :slight_smile:

I meant : no trigs => must be the mixer I’ve been dreaming of for months :wink:

Looks interesting…although they might want to run a spellcheck before putting that LCD into production. LOL

CB

I is excite :smiley: