New OP-1 Field šŸ˜®

i hope teenage engineering doesnā€™t see this, but i would give teenage engineering all of my money for an op-z with metal housing

8 Likes

nice to see some of the old heads pop up in this thread!
this looks interesting. lots of questions, but on the surface im not really jumping at upgrading. the price feels comical given the state of the world but maybe thatā€™s exactly it. i echo many of the sentiments in this thread and time will tell. i look forward to reading more about this device and watching workflows. maybe in the future ill consider an upgrade. but i cant stomach the price (also i bought an octa finally LOL) i cant tell if this is TE putting the OP on 10 years of life support or a guarantee that we may eventually see a op2. still shocked the other players in this game havenā€™t attempted a similar device. come on behringer and korg!

2 Likes

The new features look amazing. But there is quite a bit that appears unanswered. In the video above, Tobias wasnā€™t sure about a number of things (including whether the AD/DA converters are the same, polyphony etc.). He seemed borderline unprepared. In general, it appears theyā€™ve brought the original OP-1 largely up to 2022 specs.

One thing I found very interesting is that Tobias alluded to the keys being capable of velocity sensitivity, though that feature isnā€™t available yet.

Very curious to see more reviews as people get their hands on these.

1 Like

If the OP-1F has 160 minutes of user sample storage, what does the original have for sample storage?

did he say the keys were velocity-sensitive, or that there was a source of velocity-sensitive modulation now? (ie the new ā€œVelocityā€ mod source/LFO; if you read the manual, it implies that this will only be useful with an external MIDI keyboard, not the internal keyboard)

1 Like

I guess the sample storage on the original OP-1 is 4 minutes and 12 seconds for the Synth Sampler (42 patches at 6 seconds each) and 8 minutes and 24 second for the Drum Sampler (42 patches at 12 seconds each). Source.

1 Like

He said something to the effect of ā€œyouā€™ll notice that as you play, everything is the same velocity, there is no velocity sensitivityā€¦yetā€ and kind of smiled. Definitely a very intentional comment.

1 Like

Yeah, I have a feeling weā€™ll see an OP-ZF eventually too.

i actually donā€™t have an op-1 yet but have the opportunity to buy one brand new unopened for $800 - do yall think thatā€™s worthwhile or are these things gonna tank in the near future?

Whether they tank or not is besides the point. Iā€™ve had my OP-1 for years and wonā€™t part with it. The question is do you see an extra Ā£1200 in the new one and do you think youā€™ll get your moneyā€™s worth from either regardless. Thatā€™s your answer. Will I get the the new OP-1ā€¦ Maybe?

I bought an OP-1 this week after lusting after one for many years (it came two days ago). I could return it and go for the OP-1F but I dont think I will tbh - I decided to drop the full price on it and it still does what it did last week and Iā€™m not sure the new one is worth the extra money to meā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great deal. I donā€™t think the value will drop much. If it does, it wonā€™t drop below $800 for a new unit.

So did I

1 Like

I wonder if the weird encoder colors have something to do with a display limitationā€¦ looking at the manual, I only saw green color at a tiny waveform in the dsynth screen.

Well there goes my end of year bonus. I am also feeling strangely pulled to the TX-6ā€¦

And absolutely yes to everyone who said metal case OP-Z. I would buy a new one in an instant if they did that.

2 Likes

My takeaway was that TE are experimenting with using the built-in accelerometerā€™s data to derive useful velocity info. Sounds promising, but not solid enough if thatā€™s an important feature to a buyer.

That said, Iā€™ve been pleasantly surprised with their ongoing support of the original and the OP-Z.

1 Like

Little bit pissed that I got the. Og OP 1 a week ago I hope they still support it.

3 Likes

Totally! I guess Iā€™m just skeptical about how the implementation of that plays out. BUT if they can figure that out, and it results in a half decent, reliable velocity transmission, thatā€™s pretty damn cool.

1 Like

On the bright side, used ones are going to be cheaper, so keep yours and buy some used ones for spare parts. The OG one isnā€™t going to die off immediately. I bought mine used and I plan to use it for at least the next 5 or 6 years before I eventually get the OP1-F

4 Likes

Anyone else realize yet that the new reverb and synth are just took from the opzā€¦ they just are charging for itā€¦ is really rediculousā€¦

1 Like