New OP-1 Field šŸ˜®

The new features look amazing. But there is quite a bit that appears unanswered. In the video above, Tobias wasnā€™t sure about a number of things (including whether the AD/DA converters are the same, polyphony etc.). He seemed borderline unprepared. In general, it appears theyā€™ve brought the original OP-1 largely up to 2022 specs.

One thing I found very interesting is that Tobias alluded to the keys being capable of velocity sensitivity, though that feature isnā€™t available yet.

Very curious to see more reviews as people get their hands on these.

1 Like

If the OP-1F has 160 minutes of user sample storage, what does the original have for sample storage?

did he say the keys were velocity-sensitive, or that there was a source of velocity-sensitive modulation now? (ie the new ā€œVelocityā€ mod source/LFO; if you read the manual, it implies that this will only be useful with an external MIDI keyboard, not the internal keyboard)

1 Like

I guess the sample storage on the original OP-1 is 4 minutes and 12 seconds for the Synth Sampler (42 patches at 6 seconds each) and 8 minutes and 24 second for the Drum Sampler (42 patches at 12 seconds each). Source.

1 Like

He said something to the effect of ā€œyouā€™ll notice that as you play, everything is the same velocity, there is no velocity sensitivityā€¦yetā€ and kind of smiled. Definitely a very intentional comment.

1 Like

Yeah, I have a feeling weā€™ll see an OP-ZF eventually too.

i actually donā€™t have an op-1 yet but have the opportunity to buy one brand new unopened for $800 - do yall think thatā€™s worthwhile or are these things gonna tank in the near future?

Whether they tank or not is besides the point. Iā€™ve had my OP-1 for years and wonā€™t part with it. The question is do you see an extra Ā£1200 in the new one and do you think youā€™ll get your moneyā€™s worth from either regardless. Thatā€™s your answer. Will I get the the new OP-1ā€¦ Maybe?

I bought an OP-1 this week after lusting after one for many years (it came two days ago). I could return it and go for the OP-1F but I dont think I will tbh - I decided to drop the full price on it and it still does what it did last week and Iā€™m not sure the new one is worth the extra money to meā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great deal. I donā€™t think the value will drop much. If it does, it wonā€™t drop below $800 for a new unit.

So did I

1 Like

I wonder if the weird encoder colors have something to do with a display limitationā€¦ looking at the manual, I only saw green color at a tiny waveform in the dsynth screen.

Well there goes my end of year bonus. I am also feeling strangely pulled to the TX-6ā€¦

And absolutely yes to everyone who said metal case OP-Z. I would buy a new one in an instant if they did that.

2 Likes

My takeaway was that TE are experimenting with using the built-in accelerometerā€™s data to derive useful velocity info. Sounds promising, but not solid enough if thatā€™s an important feature to a buyer.

That said, Iā€™ve been pleasantly surprised with their ongoing support of the original and the OP-Z.

1 Like

Little bit pissed that I got the. Og OP 1 a week ago I hope they still support it.

3 Likes

Totally! I guess Iā€™m just skeptical about how the implementation of that plays out. BUT if they can figure that out, and it results in a half decent, reliable velocity transmission, thatā€™s pretty damn cool.

1 Like

On the bright side, used ones are going to be cheaper, so keep yours and buy some used ones for spare parts. The OG one isnā€™t going to die off immediately. I bought mine used and I plan to use it for at least the next 5 or 6 years before I eventually get the OP1-F

4 Likes

Anyone else realize yet that the new reverb and synth are just took from the opzā€¦ they just are charging for itā€¦ is really rediculousā€¦

1 Like

What OP-Z synth is the Dimension Synth on the OP-1F? @Kja

While I think there will be a freeze on features, I would imagine there are some final bugfix updates in the works for the OP-1. And who knows, theyā€™ve added OP-Z features like USB audio, maybe theyā€™ll chuck in a second tape if thereā€™s space on the device.