New OP-1 Field šŸ˜®

this is awesome! so much love for TE :heart:

Looks cool ! But 2k is totally insane ā€¦
Any updates for the original one ?

Maybe It will be sold out soon due to IC shortage

With a 45 day turnaround itā€™s not exactly for sale now either.

So they figured out a way to sell the exact same ten year old thing with a new engine and stereoā€¦ Wowā€¦ Except now it called fieldā€¦ so two grandā€¦ I was wondering if they could stoop lowerā€¦

2k makes it affordable for only the most privileged amongst us. I think I bought my OG for around Ā£680 before the prices went up. It actually kind of makes me sick that they want this sort of money for it. Unfortunately its out of reach price wise for most musicians and creative people.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a USB audio host too, so you can hook up an audio interface Thatā€™s pretty amazing.

1 Like

def think so :frowning:

im hoping they keep supporting the og, i would like to see the new engine and a slim downed version of the reverb but whos to say. i got my op-1 last year and paid almost as much as this new one and im bummed about it lol

2 Likes

I would love to eventually own an OP-1F ā€“ some of the new features are mind blowing ā€“ but I am in no rush to be an early adopter. I donā€™t think I could ever let go of my original OP-1 either, unless it eventually breaks or dies, in which case, it is comforting to know that TE is still developing the OP-1 product line.

The OP-1F seems very different from the original OP-1. The OP-1F seems more HiFi, which is great, but I enjoy the LoFi character of the OP-1. I am sure the OP-1F will have a character of its own, especially with the different tape styles; Weā€™ll see. I also prefer working with mono sources most of the time (easier to mix) whereas everything on the OP-1F is stereo, which, once again, is great, but very different from the original.

The OP-1F webpage and manual do not mention anything about tape undoā€¦ but I guess beggars canā€™t be choosers. Since the OP-1F can store up to 8 tapes (each with 4 stereo tracks), I guess users can just get in the habit of saving and reverting to save files if they mess anything up, which is still a better workflow than the original.

I wonder about total storage. The webpage states the OP-1F has over 160 minutes of sample storage. I really hope that is true and recordings to tape donā€™t dig into that. The webpage also states the OP-1F has an increase to 256MB of internal memory, by which I am guessing they mean RAM, because the original OP-1 has 512 MB of storage (double that figure). When someone getā€™s one, please plug it in to your computer and let us know the size of the disk.

I did not see that one coming!

Having swappable tapes is a very big deal, no more trying to work on 3 different ideas at different points of the tape.

Panning and stereo engines are great.

Am I right that the stereo sampler is the only new synth engine, though? Soundwise, all you get for your ā‚¬2000 is a reverb and ā€œTWENTY NEW PRESET SYNTH PATCHESā€ ?

edit: I am wrong, there is a new ā€œDimensionā€ synth engine :slight_smile:

1 Like

No: thereā€™s a new ā€œDimensionā€ sound engine, a new ā€œMotherā€ reverb that is very lush, a new sequencer, and plenty of new things, but basically all the OP-1 has been kept.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty disappointed that they didnā€™t use the click-encoders to expand the synth engines (as they teased they would many years ago), and instead itā€™s just forā€¦ pop-up help text labels?? This alone sort of stopped me from insta-buying it.

Also Iā€™m not really sure what the point of recording to anything but the HQ tape machine is, Iā€™d rather have the audio pristine so I can mix it however I want (ie I can use a better tape-emu in my DAW), rather than having their lo-fi effect baked into each track.

I would have loved to seem them add an FX/EQ/Compressor block pre-tape (or at least let us switch the Master EQ/FX/Compressor between pre- and post-tape, so we can use the former for tracking and the latter for mix-down). The synth engines really do need something to tame the high-end a lot of the time, and itā€™s annoying to not have access to more FX because you always need to slap a filter in the Synth FX slot. :confused:

Alas. :confused:

Also, they made everything stereo, but didnā€™t add any stereo-related controls to the effects or synth engines?? So we get to control the panning of the final output, but any difference in the L/R channels wrt sound generation is fixed and baked-inā€¦ the click encoders could have be used to enable setting different synth param values for the L/R channels, that would have been awesome!

Finally: the new colours are really confusing, sort of the opposite of inspiring (not to mention all the neutral tones arenā€™t really going to help the UI pop on the screen)

I really wanted to want one but at best Iā€™m ambivalent. :frowning:

p.s - also their weird button-in-the-encoder seems really strange and cheap-o compared to the (totally unused) original OP-1 encoders. Siiiiiighā€¦

2 Likes

I hope TE gonna add these new synth and effects on the OG.

This new OP has an attractive side because itā€™s GAS, and on the other side I find that certain features break the SOUL of the original OP-1; namely, a simple and somewhat limited tool that leaves plenty of room for creativity rather than a host of options and not very useful stuff.

I totally agree with what you said about the new colours @raigan

Iā€™m mixed.

1 Like

Nice new revision. But an 8-Track mono would have been more useful than stereo engines .

5 Likes
4 Likes

Some concern about the durability of the keyboard with being raised above the enclosure.

Of course the new features look lovely.

Wondering if Iā€™d prefer 2 x op-1 vs 1x op-1 field.

4 Likes

What a beautiful piece of gear.

1 Like

i hope teenage engineering doesnā€™t see this, but i would give teenage engineering all of my money for an op-z with metal housing

8 Likes

nice to see some of the old heads pop up in this thread!
this looks interesting. lots of questions, but on the surface im not really jumping at upgrading. the price feels comical given the state of the world but maybe thatā€™s exactly it. i echo many of the sentiments in this thread and time will tell. i look forward to reading more about this device and watching workflows. maybe in the future ill consider an upgrade. but i cant stomach the price (also i bought an octa finally LOL) i cant tell if this is TE putting the OP on 10 years of life support or a guarantee that we may eventually see a op2. still shocked the other players in this game havenā€™t attempted a similar device. come on behringer and korg!

2 Likes