New OP-1 Field 😮

@MichaalHell hope you have time to answer this or show this :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your effort and replaying to our questions :innocent::pray:

Bore off Shafty

2 Likes

Just found this on YT :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@MichaalHell what are the measurements (in cm) of the new screen? I want to make a screenprotector before my unit arrives :slight_smile:

It’s appears just a bit larger than the original.

1 Like

Really surprised on the lack of proper reviews of this device and the TX-6. Maybe there are just too few units around still (although I would have thought that there are enough TX-6 units around by now.

I’m really interested to know about the build quality. I own an OP1 which I purchased in 2011 (just checked my old emails) so I guess I must have jumped on the bandwagon pretty early. I have had no issues with my device although the battery is now pretty much dead. So for me my ownership has been pretty smooth despite it being in constant use (albeit only indoors).
However I understand that there have been various issues over the years.

Hence I’m interested to know if the Field feels as robust as it looks? A few people (that don’t have them) have expressed worries about the gaps around the keys - does this look likely to be an issue?

I know it’s the sounds and features that matter but for me build quality and finish are also important (to make an unpopular comparison - it’s one of the reasons I like my Apple laptop).
I had a chance to play with a colleagues TX-6 recently and that definitely feels like a quality product. The build and finish are superb.

So if anyone can either please point me at any reviews that actually talk about the build quality or, if you own one, can actually comment I’d love to hear. :pray:

1 Like

The build quality is great, just like og. The gaps around the keys are little weird, but not concerning to me at least. It feels super solid. The knobs feel even better than the og, especially the volume knob which always felt a little wobbly to me on the og.

2 Likes

TX-6 is gorgeous, tiny af, but gorgeous. Functionality on initial release is pretty amazing. I have been busy with work, travel, and NBA playoffs so have only messed around with it for a few solid nights. I’m looking forward to the coming updates and to the field’s shipment. Have not connected it to the computer but it is seamless with iOS. Have had an op-1 for 10 years and have loved it from day one but it certainly had some downsides as far as a potential all in one when I initially purchased it. Sticker shock hit me when I got the field email but I only hesitated for about two minutes. So much of what I’d wished for in the og. On/off switch on the tx-6 is solid and looks to be the same on the field. Middle row pots are a little difficult for me but accessible. For reference I can easily palm a Bball and my piano teacher used to tell me I had ideal hands (nearly an octave and a half).

Not rich, not a doctor, lawyer, tech bro, nor hipster. Just love music and music making. Been in too many situations where inspiration strikes and I’m out and about. OP-1 has been solid for me ever since, though the first unit I received had a hung pixel and was replaced without hassle. I had emailed TE many years ago to inquire about audio over usb and got a “not happening” reply so I’m looking forward to the field. Looks great as is and I’m certain it will be amazing in the coming years. I would imagine that both the tx-6 and field will eventually allow the user to record to usb and/or iOS device so I’m not concerned at all about internal memory.

3 Likes

One thing nobody seems to mention is that the screen on the new OP-1 field appears to be an LCD, as opposed to the original rev.1 OLED and the even more expensive AMOLED on the original rev.2… Funny thing is TE didn’t mention this anywhere but it’s very noticeable from the videos!

(Not saying that it matters necessarily, just wanted to point that out).

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely interesting. And a bit disappointing. Perhaps they felt the backlight illumination for LCD was a benefit given that the unit is intended to be used outside.

Interesting. Exciting, even. $2K is a lot of money, but the dollar is not what it used to be in 2012. I might or might not buy Field, depending on certain things. I.e. whether it’s somewhat cheaper at retailers and whether they really improved some of the pain points.

A decent reverb is an important and desperately needed feature. Patch renaming is nice, but it’s one of those things that should have been on the OG. Multiple tapes/projects might be useful.

A big question I have is whether they’ve added ability to delete patches from the unit itself. Drove me nuts not to be able to clean up bad patches.
Is loop popping really fixed?
Is String engine click bug fixed?
Did they remove Lift Chopper? (Okay, maybe not the most pressing question, but it makes me smile to know that there is this crazy Easter egg on OG. )
I hope some reviews will cover these questions.

I liked the old colorful knobs, though.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like LCD on these screenshots but maybe @MichaalHell can throw us some light on this. LCD by this price point and year would be disappointing

Doesnt seem like LCD at all. Here are @MichaalHell’s words about the new screen:

I’d say the Op1F is a tad better due to the screen sitting higher up…

I trust someone that has it in his hands more than some hasty conclusions from videos ^^

Big plus one on this - having to connect to a computer just to clear out the memory has been a constant pain. Especially when you use the sampler as much as I do.

3 Likes

@LyingDalai I’ve noticed that from this video, mainly because of the black bezel on the screen, if it was AMOLED the black on the screen would blend with the bezel, because it would be virtually pitch black.

Also it has that flat look of LCD, if you own an OG you should know what I mean, dimmer colours seems to sit deeper from the surface of the panel on the OG, It’s somewhat noticeable from the videos but would be very noticeable in real life.

Then the guy who made the video confirmed it’s not an OLED.

1 Like

On this video it’s even more apparent.

1 Like

yes I noticed that too but thought maybe the UI has a non-black background color (I’ve never used a OG)… too bad

I also noticed they avoided any mention about screen specs or tech save for the increased resolution on the Field site so….

2 Likes

Good points indeed. Guess I’m pretty ignorant on the subject, I’ll take back my words :sweat_smile:

On the same vid we can see some aliasing when it’s very white. Could this help on the matter?

1 Like

You are right there is no mention anywhere about the screen, and also from the video the resolution doesn’t seem much improved, the OG rev.2 panel it’s 240×400 pixels, the new “field” LCD might be slightly more than that but certainly not as much as people would expect from their claims.