New OP-Z OS 1.2.31 šŸ˜Œ

I think youā€™re right - the bass sounds stereo too with much more body to the soundā€¦ yowza!!!

Dude - can you elaborate?

Iā€™ve been back in love with the Z again after a bit of a break - the one thing that frustrates me with the unit is fine tuning drum parts - itā€™s the one thing I think the Elektron boxes do really well (among a few others to be fair!) - but Iā€™m sure the Z could be improved on that front - anyway if you have any newsā€¦ or rumours - please tell :wink::pray:t2:

1 Like

Thatā€™s just wishful thinking, TE has said nothing about a drumsynth.

About the FW upgrade, I think itā€™s a subtle but huge one. Turns it into a mini MPC, with real choke groups. Much easier to flip samples or play with sliced drumbreaksā€¦ And now, you can have conditional slices popping here and there and chocking each others.

3 Likes

Totally agree. And when smthg is getting the op-z closer to a ultraportable mpc, iā€™m happy. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That sounds great - how do you do a ā€˜choke groupā€™? Iā€™m using a Digitakt as well now so anything that gets close to the ā€˜chanceā€™ function on that would be amazing

Cheers :facepunch:t2::+1:t2:

I was hoping for more too ā€“ hopefully this is just the interim updateā€¦

I donā€™t think the chokes work in ā€˜groupsā€™ but rather if you set it to mono, all the samples on the track become one choke group. I made a quick tutorial video on the update and using mono sample in case it helps - feels more like an MPC vibe :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@ryandiefenbach got it right. The whole track becomes a choke group.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had some dropouts occasionally enspecially when drums and bass hit together, Got rid of it by turning down ā€œpunchā€ = yellow dial in the mixer view.

Wow, this reinvigorates my desire for a drum pad to go along with the OP-Z!

2 Likes

I can confirm that itā€™s not a compression issue. It is actual notes not playing. You can also confirm this by turning down the volume of all the other tracks (expect for the one dropping out) and without muting them, and you still hear certain notes just not trigger the sound. Punch dial or not. Iā€™m assuming the ā€œcpu improvementsā€ must have brought down the total polyphony of the OP-Z or something. Kind of wish there was a config option to undo that (kind of like the generous chords option for the chord track)

but you should be able to recreate it when muting all tracks except the one to look at and then adding notes to the other tracks which should then at a certain point mess up the track we are hearing, right?

personally Iā€™ve never had such issues and youā€™re sure youā€™ve not accidentally put down more notes that cut each other on this particular track? :innocent:

Muting other tracks ā€œfixesā€ the issue. If the bass line keeps dropping out ever other note, muting one of the other tracks fixes that; the bass then plays fine. (thatā€™s because ā€œmutesā€ on the OP-Z are simply just telling the unit to stop reading trigs)

Also, if I solo the track, it no longer drops out, so I know Iā€™m not exceeding the polyphony of the individual track. (Thatā€™s something I pay close attention to during composition)

However, if I keep everything ā€œunmutedā€ but turn the volumes down, you can clearly hear the bass dropping out every other note (or whatever track is dropping out).

Itā€™s not always the bass, sometimes itā€™s the sample track, sometimes itā€™s the kick.

I also know itā€™s related to firmware because Iā€™ve sat down and played the same couple tracks consecutively and changed firmware each time, only having the issue after 1.2.26. Hence my theory about some kind of ā€œglobal polyphonyā€ thatā€™s independent of the individual track polyphony.

To be fair, this issue only shows up on tracks where I have a lot going on (naturally), but still a bummer.

Maybe I just like pushing the OP-Z to itā€™s limits too much lol

I think itā€™s good you push itā€™s limits! It will probably help TE to push their limits as well!

3 Likes

and youā€™re sure that you havenā€™t ā€œaccidentallyā€ turned on some step components like the Slide component where it sweeps thru the filter for instance?

this effect happens within the whole duration of the track and not on a per step basisā€¦

sometimes you have to keep in mind that even if you see a red trig it wonā€™t trigger on that exactly step because the microtiming couldā€™ve been shifted that note 48 micro steps in one or the other direction behind the actual trig, basically just visible with a purple indicator when holding down that trig.

1 Like

Correct, checked for all those as well.

Wellā€¦ my OP-Z seems to be quite different after updatingā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

Man, I hope mono mode comes to the op-1!

1 Like

is it me or is the USB noise significantly louder with this update? And for the record yes I have usb charging turned off.

At this point Iā€™m thinking of just sampling the USB noise and making it into a track.

1 Like