Og. Op1 as send/return-passthrough to DAW

Hello dear people,

I‘d like to tweak the DAW‘s audio through OP‘s master effects and Drive.

So, is it possible to send audio from DAW to OP1, pass through OP‘s master effects/drive and then right back onto DAW‘s new track in real-time - all with usb?
That would be great.

Hope you have a nice time

Fab

1 Like

You’d have to be careful with routing so you don’t get feedback, but it should be possible.

Also, if you use the vocoder (set to fully dry), you will be able to add a thru-effect on the track, and another master effect—I think. I haven’t tried that but as far as I can remember it should work like that.

Give it a go and let us know!

1 Like

Hey, thanks:) that might be a fine solution. using the vocoder should work with OP1 field I assume, unfortunatelly I can’t check cause I use the OG. OP1

But here‘s how it should work with the OG, too. Figured it out this morning, may be a little fiddly yet, but anyway:

1. Connect OP1 with DAW over USB audio and Midi in-out to let DAW act as Master and OP as Slave, that they sync up on a DAWs play-command. (Here‘s how to do that in Logic: Og. OP-1 as sync-master for Logic

2. route the general audio-Output aswell the input of your DAW to OP1. (As far as for now, OP1 has to be the monitor in this setup)

3. when in Tape- Mixer or Album- Screen, engage USB-audio-active with the red Mic.

4. In your DAW, have a recorded piece of audio on one or more tracks you want to effect-process, play live etc.

5. create another stereo-track in DAW wich acts as your return track and switch it to mute, so you won’t get a feedback-loop. Hit record.

The OP1-processed audio is now recorded. Sometimes the midi-sync has a little delay but you could simply drag them back a little so they line up again with your Dry audio in the DAW, without phasing as the sound is altered. In my case it’s only possible to monitor through OP1’s output though, if I want to monitor through DAW I can only do it after I recorded by switching the general output to DAW again, so it’s not ideal for performing live, couldn’t figure it out, yet.

So, you could now mimic the OP1’s four mono audiotracks, and their volume and pan-Position in your DAw, record them in dry, and reserve an album-like ‚quasi-Return‘ stereo-track, where you save your master adjustments onto. When you come back to the track month later, wich happens to me often, and you want to change everything again, you can readjust by just recording with new settings once more. Or have your first best version of settings saved, that I most often can never find back to, when dialing the knops for too long. (That all would make most sense, when you already left OP-1 to DAW for further structure and finishing stuff, but want to keep most of the workflow and character of OP.)
Or you could just stereo-effect-process every track for its own.

Hope it serves anyone, too:)

Fab