OP-1 Battle #73: “soundtrack // transmission”

The first axis for this new battle is “soundtrack”:

1. MAKING MOVIES
    Look for a video that inspires you (a trailer the sound of which you cut for instance). You can create it from scratch if you have the skills, or assemble* pieces of (ie copyright free) videos such as the ones bellow and make your own video! Don’t forget to cite your sources!

Here is a video I did to get you started:

All the source files are linked in the comments.
Feel free to rebuild your video from these bits or from scratch !

Here is a link to download the whole video above.

*Da Vinci Resolve is a free software that is pretty powerful to manipulate video and sound.

1. SOUND + VISION
    Craft the basis for the soundtrack of your video. The aim is to get a “grid”, a basis that clearly gives you the moments when the video changes. You can either record yourself on the OP-1 while the video is playing, or go forensics and assemble (in Resolve or in a DAW) fragments of sounds to the video. You can even only use “markers” that would disappear in the final track.
    Extract the audio and import this back into the OP-1. At least two OP-1 tracks should be left blanks.

2. EXPLORE // MAKE NOISE
    Prepare some sounds in the OP-1. An extra instrument (hardware or software) is accepted for sound design. Go as wild as you can, you can’t go too strange! In particular, you are encouraged to push the FX to their most uncomfortable zones, and mangle this as clay. Same goes for DNA and BBOX, two sound engines that are often disregarded for their awkward sound design or because they offer so much noise based sounds. Explore as far as you can, push the limits.
    You can also sample your own voice and go crazy with this material.

3. NO LOOP // NO BEAT (soft rule)
    Avoid creating loops, at least no drum loops, unless it is somehow required by the movie (e.g. in a dancing scene). But even there, it is encouraged to use e.g. chords rather than drums. An occasional percussion is ok of course.
    If you need inspiration, check Disasterpeace’s works or just pay attention to your favorite movie soundtrack…

The other aspect I would like to encourage in this battle is “transmission”.

Upload your track in SoundCloud with hashtag #OP-1Battle73 and submit it here.
You can of course also upload the whole video+soundtrack editing in YT and drop it here as well, if you believe it will give some interesting perspective for your track.

1. SHARE
    When you submit your track, you should share a part (or all) of your sound design as samples, sample chain or user patches.
    Do whatever you can so that other people can reuse your work.

2. REUSE
    You have to reuse at least one sound/patch/sample chain of a track that was previously dropped! It’s even better if you reuse a piece of each track that was previously dropped.

Make it not too long: target is around 3 minutes, could be shorter but not much longer (unless you have created an awesome short movie)

Deadline: Fabruary 21st 2021

2 Likes

Interesting brief, but a bit too ambitious for me at the moment, I’m afraid… :disappointed:

Damn! You’re the second person to tell me so.
What if I take the time to create some video?
Would this make easier?

Believe me, it’s fun and not that hard to do!
And it has never been done for battles yet.

Snap, I should have been less ambitious…

2 Likes

Yes, a given video might help a lot :+1:, but I can’t guarantee that I can take part in this battle.

Also, I have trouble grasping the sharing part. Does it mean I should share a sound or whatever already at the very beginning? What if nobody else has shared something yet (as now)?

Ahah, this was also asked to me: of course, for the first submission the “reuse” rule doesn’t apply. I thought it was obvious, but what I’ll do is sharing some samples along with the movie, so that all of this get cleared ^^

Thank you for your feedback, friend.

2 Likes

That’s huge! I feel motivated ( and confused).
I believe that one video with lots of interpretation would be better in many ways, and it would be still opened to personal creation as a choice.
I really don’t know how to deal with copright things and even if I create the vídeo myself it has to get the “trailer-dynamic-kind-of-edition” otherwise it’d be just a videoclip or something like that.
So…I vote for a video-to-create-with :rocket:

2 Likes

By the way, I love that movie “LFO”, could get this with portuguese subtitles once and lost it. Never found it again.
If you got it, please let me know!
Great great great movie.

Just added a 3mn video in the original post + the link to download it!
Please avoid procrastination!

@motone @Dantaz-1 @quarantequatre
:wink:

Hey @LyingDalai :smiley: Thanks for the quote, I haven’t been active there for a while !
Looks like an interesting brief, it remembers me something I made a few years ago

But there is some loops that makes it out of rules !

1 Like

Hey, nice to see you here again ^^
Hope you can take the time to create another awesome (sound)track!

Hi, what a nice idea. I’ll digest this a couple of days and see if I can come up with something.

1 Like

Hi all, first post. Just got my OP-1 before Christmas. Apologies, as I’m just getting to grips with “battles” concept.
In this instance, is the goal to create a soundtrack for @LyingDalai s video? So the results would be how people interpreted the video differently? Or, do we make our own visuals?
Cheers.

I thought I made it clear in the brief, sorry.
You are free to

• create your own video
  • use the one I did
  • use the stems from the one I did (sources in the video comments) and adapt the video to your taste
  • use no video and create a soundtrack for an imaginary movie

:blush:

2 Likes

this is a live video feed. [click here]

error: https://soundcloud.com/dj_kln/or-just-cause

close your eyes and watch. this is my 21st year of the 2000ands. (it could be yours too).

familiar cast? familiar drama? op-1 family.

(sorry about the video feed, but please try again soon).

2 Likes

:heart:

Would you mind sharing at least one of your sounds / patches?
I love the idea of some links between tracks, which is the idea behind rule #5 :wink:

is there a place I can easily post some stems?

I wouldn’t know what’s best.
Maybe create a KLN account on dropbox for hosting music purpose?
You may also use Elektronauts Files as you have an account there :wink:
You can even drop your track there!

I have made a video. I have not yet made any music. I wonder if there might be an extension on the cards?

@kln When i click on the SoundCloud link it gives me the default SoundCloud login page, want to hear your track, would you check the link?

Thanks!
psound74