OP-1 Battle #74: the Fake Battle

Damn, I must have read the brief three times before asking this.
Hard weekend, sorry mate.

Many things must be said at least three times before they become true :grinning:

1 Like

I didn’t really make this. it’s not jazz. it’s whatever I want it to mean.

so allow me to introduce myself. Hi!

in terms of Orchestra. sounds like my last name, or as the expression goes my middle name? jazz it up kid!! don’t ever hesitate on rule number four. purple. urps, people. for the people, by me.

Hi again!

1 Like

Thanks @kln, great entry! I like the trumpet solo in particular.

Who is next? Still plenty of time … 18 days to be roughly exact… make good use of them!

remix, not really. more of an improv, with jazz, jazz and then more jazz. duh-na-nuh-na.

which reminds me. have you heard about battle 74? fake!

3 Likes

Not entering this battle. (made on op-z)
Just remapped bunch of samples from that jazz Art Blakey tune to a keyboard and jammed away !

2 Likes

Made a Cover of Raindrops keep fallin’ on my head by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.
During quarantine I was learning to play it on the piano.

Ok, it’s not explicite Jazz but with the Swing it gets close.

Two days of fun! Thanks to @ssam

And now! Welcome to the Op-1 Orchestra:

2 Likes

heyyyy hi… really liked that.
.taht dekil yllaer …ih yyyyeh

Reminds me of funki porcini.

1 Like

Some great entries coming in!
Nice to hear the first recreate entry! And some masterful remix entries keep coming… :trumpet:

It’s shaping up to be a nice battle, there are two full weeks remaining for anyone who is still trying to find the time to contribute! :slight_smile:

Never thought I would actually finish it. But this was so much fun I just sat at it for 5 hours I think; well at least that’s how my back feels.

Thank you Ssam for this cool idea.
I decided I wanted to do a real classic and see how far I come. I’m most proud of the double bass sound!

Here we go:

3 Likes

Nice! I love how the lead sound somehow reminds me of the 1961 version of Daisy Bell. Did you do any layering for the bass or is that just one sound?

I realise I wasn’t clear in the rules about external synths, instruments, etc. You can include one instrument, synth or effect that’s not from the OP1, as long as the end result is in the OP1. As I think @rocksoul has done with electric guitar :guitar:

Hi thanks for your reply!

Fun video of the daisy bell computer vocal; didn’t know that one.

I didn’t use any layering for the bass; it’s the string synth engine with a short decay, sustain at 0 and an LFO changing the decay slightly, combined with punch effect.

And yes; I couldn’t resist picking up my guitar and refreshing my jazz lessons a little ^^

Really nice take! Only 5 hours, wow!

BTW, there’s also a good way to get an acoustic bass with DNA.

Working on mine now. It will be done soon.

So instead of sampling Miles Davis and getting sued, I decided to just play my version of "So What’ with electric guitar and bass recorded into the OP-1. Drums are stock presets and “horns” are the digital synth and another one I can’t remember but, I blended them on one track just like the rules said. I recorded this straight onto the OP-1 Album and did no post processing. This is 100% OP-1.

2 Likes

ok, coming in under the wire here (it’s still the 22nd if i didn’t go to bed yet from the time i woke up on Saturday, right?)

i was far enough along that even if you choose that i’m too “late” to enter, i wanted to finish. Misty is one of my wife’s favorite jazz standards, so this one is in honor of her.

Cheers,
psound74

1 Like

it’s still the 22nd if i didn’t go to bed yet from the time i woke up on Saturday, right

Of course it is!

I didn’t specify a timezone, so while it’s midday on Sunday for me, on the New Zealand island of Niue it’s still 23.45 on Saturday. That gives a 15 minute window for any last minute entries and/or extension requests from the Pacific islands.

1 Like

It’s now well and truly Sunday all around the world! Let’s call the battle closed as I’ve not heard any more submissions or intentions.

I can see 6 entries:

• psound74 - Misty
  • joeyfivecents - So What
  • rocksoul - All the Tings You Are
  • mixrasta - Raindrops
  • KLN - Basic Impro
  • KLN - Introducing.

And an honorary OP-Z entry:

• FunkyJunky - Something from Ála Mode

I will have the voting thread up this evening and run voting for a week.

Many thanks everyone for participating!

2 Likes

Go forth and vote! OP-1 Battle #74: the Fake Battle -- VOTING

1 Like