Op-1 discontinued?

sweetwater guitarcenter website no op-1, I booked in perfect circuit two weeks ago. sad might never arrived

I think this may be pointing towards an OP-1 Mk II, like Elektron did with their flagships. Before TE changed the serial number format a couple years ago, we figured they were selling around 2000-3000 units per yearā€¦

Also have a current order in with Perfect Circuit. Emailed about whether or not my order will be fulfilled. Ordered on 11/2. They already charged me so Iā€™m hoping soā€¦bumming pretty hard. Iā€™ve had an OP-1 but had to sell it last yearā€¦ was hoping to get back in the game. :frowning:

Itā€™s a shame they lost that component because it seemed like so many people were waiting on backorders, based on lurking in the op-1 subreddit.

It would be sad if the OP-1 is on anything longer than just a sabbatical. As they new they might have to deal with the situation pre-OP-Z release, do you think that TE hiked-up the price of the unit? Id like to know if the battery in those beta units was the/atrans-atlanticone (cynically thinking that they changed it to a cheaper one before release to maximise profits). I had been pondering whether to sell mine, or Machinedrum for the op-z, bloody glad i didnt now!

It would be sad if the OP-1 is on anything longer than just a sabbatical. As they new they might have to deal with the situation pre-OP-Z release, do you think that TE hiked-up the price of the unit? Id like to know if the battery in those beta units was the/a trans-atlantic one (cynically thinking that they changed it to a cheaper one before release to maximise profits). I had been pondering whether to sell mine, or Machinedrum for the op-z, bloody glad i didn`t now!

Iā€™m surprised it was in production for so long, given the lifecycle of other technology products and the components used to build them. However it could also be a case of TE giving priority to the OP-Z and the OP-1 is just paused for the time being until they get some more or compatible screens and OP-Z demand levels off. The other thing to consider is the number of units out there, they are not exactly in short supply, at one time they were shifting 500 units per month, so you might see a bit of price gouging but if nobody buys them then the price shouldnā€™t get ridiculous for used OP-1s.

Good news (although I do not know is it true):
Russian store (official representative as I understand) said that TE sent them a message and they informed that OP-1 isnā€™t RIP. TE just suspend the release of new OP-1s casue they have some problems with parts (maybe with screens).
Sorry for my English. I try very hard but itā€™s bad)

Maybe a 1.5 version is in the works, demanding a complete overhaulā€¦ i hope so. Anyway, i Had an order pending but I will cancel it, dont want to pay a full price unit for a discontinued thing.

@igr_kstk said:
Good news (although I do not know is it true):
Russian store (official representative as I understand) said that TE sent them a message and they informed that OP-1 isnā€™t RIP. TE just suspend the release of new OP-1s casue they have some problems with parts (maybe with screens).
Sorry for my English. I try very hard but itā€™s bad)

:slight_smile: hope you are right for the sake of all those that still want one.

The lack of comments on this thread shows how much this board has moved onto the OP-Z topicsā€¦

Mmmmā€¦ maybe. Or thereā€™s not much to say about this, I guess :wink:

@LyingDalai said:
Mmmmā€¦ maybe. Or thereā€™s not much to say about this, I guess :wink:

+1

ā€¦on ebay ā€¦3000$ + usedā€¦new 7000+ā€¦i cant believe these prices are for real

Iā€™m really, really bummed. I know theyā€™ll be back, but the wait is going to kill me. I may buy an OP-Z, but itā€™s no where near as capable or as all in one as the OP-1ā€¦not yet anyway. Firmware evolution will likely enhance the -Z, but you really canā€™t beat the -1. Hereā€™s hoping it has a quick return to production so that those that paid $2700 for one can wince a bit. ?

There is one on Reverb for 750 used in mint condition. Sorry it was the op-z I saw

@FLDPLN said:
Iā€™m really, really bummed. I know theyā€™ll be back, but the wait is going to kill me. I may buy an OP-Z, but itā€™s no where near as capable or as all in one as the OP-1ā€¦not yet anyway. Firmware evolution will likely enhance the -Z, but you really canā€™t beat the -1. Hereā€™s hoping it has a quick return to production so that those that paid $2700 for one can wince a bit. ?

The chances of the op 1 being released again are 0ā€¦if they do release something without the screen it wont be anything like it. 50% of the op1 was the screen.

Somehow I find this funnyā€¦can it be really that hard to find someone in china, who will produce that same screen for you, or make another screen fit in there?
ā€¦as the OP-1ā€™s screen wasnā€™t what you would call a perfect fit from the beginning.
Not dissing, it just seems very strange

Iā€™m really hoping for a multitimbral op-2. It would be so cool with the op-z.

@RisingSon said:
Somehow I find this funnyā€¦can it be really that hard to find someone in china, who will produce that same screen for you, or make another screen fit in there?
ā€¦as the OP-1ā€™s screen wasnā€™t what you would call a perfect fit from the beginning.
Not dissing, it just seems very strange

it could be. music gear to electronics factories is very small potatoes. they basically donā€™t care.
likely to produce a part they want to move many millions of units.
whatever it is prolly too many for TE to purchase/fund alone.

there are newer screens that they are prolly manufacturing, OLED screens still exist.
but it would seem they arenā€™t drop in replacements for the screen the op1 uses.

so to make a new screen fit, would likely mean reworking the boards, troubleshooting,
maybe even completely overhauling it, tweaking the software, etc.
could end up being impossible, or at the very least a great deal of work.
enough work that it may be better/make more sense for them to just do something new
(kinda seems like this is atleast partially where the op-z came from)
it seems like they are trying something whatever that is, so they are willing
how much tho, will remain to be seen