Op-1 discontinued?

@docshermsticks
Thanks for the info.
Well as an OP-Z owner I am kinda glad about this, cause it means more work goes into the OP-Z to make it an outstanding product that replaces the OP-1 after all :slight_smile:

My fortune cookie says I have DIRECT SAMPLING in my future…

no prob. yea i wanted sampling too until i got mine
and i kinda don’t really care anymore.
(obv would welcome it i guess, and any other features they want to implement
but sometimes too many things makes a device too convoluted
and theres already quite a bit going on in the Z)
its different, like i just loaded it up w/ packs and i got tons of sampled sounds to work w/
the synths are cooler than u think.

its pretty dope for what it is
not to mention i got plenty of samplers
and if u really wanted to, the Z does midi pretty nicely
so would be easy to connect each other
and let each device do what it does best

i also wonder how they would implement the sampling and sampling features
the 3 way TRRS out+mic smartphone-esque jack thing doesn’t excite me for an input.
another adapter u have to keep around.
i really don’t ever use the app either.
i only used it for like 15 minutes the first day to help feel my way around
i don’t want to use the app at all really. its just another device wasting juice
that i don’t really need to be buzzing while i’m getting in the groove.

Yeah, it actually wouldn’t be a big deal to source new displays. Not actually, but the number they’d have to buy, that could be an issue. i should say however that for a company to discontinue a product in high demand is kind of dumb. That’s leaving money on the table. If it were something made obsolete, that might be a thing (OP-2?) but the OP-Z is certainly not that product. The OP-1 kind of is it’s own thing. Ways to improve it? Sure, absolutely…but, isn’t it’s limitations sort of part of what makes it great? The tech existed when it was released to make a much more robust machine, but that wasn’t entire the point. So, it’ll either be back or replaced with the next iteration. I can’t see it being considered replaced by OP-Z, with or without a screen. Also, from Instagram, TE mentions the last time you’ll be able to get one “this side of 2019”. So… Thoughts?

@RisingSon said:

My fortune cookie says I have DIRECT SAMPLING in my future…

Gotta have it, baby! I need my stuff dirty, dirty! :smile:
I know the updates will probably bring sampling from the mic, but we’ll need to buy modules to sample and stuff… all good, I’m totally in if that’s the case… but I dunno, there’s just something so right about that little keyboard and the design. I miss it. No knocking OP-Z though… I know it has a big future and I’ll be on one too no doubt at some point… I just need my sampling/resampling! :wink:

This price is crazy! Currently over 5k! ebay item number 123532624924

One going for $8600 (with 5 days left on the auction)… People I know used to complain about the OP-1 being a “rich-hipster toy” and I would argue how $900 is TOTALLY worth it for this amazing tool. But, now (until they’re back for $1000, which they will be) we’ll all be using other gear while people who can afford to pay $5000+ for a <$1000 instrument make rudimentary “trap” beats by the pool house or in the jet. Actually, what it’s going to do is next you’ll see all the hip-hop stars flaunting them in videos. Wearing OP-1 around their necks on gold chains and such. :neutral:

op1’s on my wrist so i look better when i dance

@darenager said:
This price is crazy! Currently over 5k! ebay item number 123532624924

Currently even more - 8600 USD :wink:

Still more normal prices floating on ebay below a grand (ÂŁ).
Can’t see them never making op-1 again, jus op-Z centric at the moment? Don’t know - what do you think?
If the prices keep rocketing over the next 6 months I’d maybe consider cashing in on my 2nd…maybe.

@FLDPLN said:
One going for $8600 (with 5 days left on the auction)… People I know used to complain about the OP-1 being a “rich-hipster toy” and I would argue how $900 is TOTALLY worth it for this amazing tool. But, now (until they’re back for $1000, which they will be) we’ll all be using other gear while people who can afford to pay $5000+ for a <$1000 instrument make rudimentary “trap” beats by the pool house or in the jet. Actually, what it’s going to do is next you’ll see all the hip-hop stars flaunting them in videos. Wearing OP-1 around their necks on gold chains and such. :neutral:

The screens are not prodused any more so the op 1 as we know will not be back for 1000. If and when something new comes out it will not have a screen and therefore will have nothing to do with the op1.

I don’t think we should assume that it will be impossible for TE to find an OLED display replacement. I do think it may likely require changes to the HW, SW and even the physical dimensions of the screen, so it will take time to get that accomplished.

I work for a company that produces products. When something is in demand, like the OP-1, sourcing a part is not a problem. There are companies that will make what they need. They’ll be back. I can maybe see a bit of a price increase, but I’m okay with that. I’m one of those that thinks paying $1000 for an amazing portastudio like the OP-1 is totally worth it. $1200 and I’m still in, but I think it’ll be $999.

Yes, I think saying they will never be able to is too final. Assumptions made on vague statements of “trouble with screens” and “paused”.
We don’t know what’ll happen, they’re investing in the Z right now.

Did Steeezo just become a billionaire in net worth?

“My investment just tripled overnight” :smiley:

That was a joke BTW, my OP-1’s ain’t going nowhere, no matter what ridiculous sums they start selling for.

Got an email back from TE this morning. Definitely not discontinued. So, that’s good news. Updates, changes, prices… no idea, but more OP-1 action is coming. Lots of nice pieces on the market at the moment for $2000-$9000 if anyone doesn’t want to wait. :wink:

I now feel like the opposite of that time I sold my Fender Rhodes that was handed down to me - I’m never going to sell my OP1 :smiley:

I agree with @punji in that I see the “Electron MkII” treatment to use new components that aren’t end-of-line or near so, to spiff it up a bit, and perhaps add a faster (similar) processor and memory and update to USB-C, BTle.

This would minimize the software engineering required “right now” for release, but open up possibilities in future. Since the OP-1 demand is obviously still there it would be a waste to not have something to fulfill the demand. When you think about synths over the years, an OP-1 could last a very long time.

I believe the hardware of the OP-Z was completed a while back mostly, and that the software has been taking a while. Perhaps the hardware guys have already started on a mkII?

The other consideration with a small company like TE is that they would have really wanted OP-Z in full production selling like crazy to provide a solid income on which to commit the R&D resources/min part quantities for an “OP1mkii”.

Clearly my balls are crystal :wink:

@FLDPLN said:
Got an email back from TE this morning. Definitely not discontinued. So, that’s good news. Updates, changes, prices… no idea, but more OP-1 action is coming. Lots of nice pieces on the market at the moment for $2000-$9000 if anyone doesn’t want to wait. :wink:

Haha…now people wanting to sell gotta act quick. Cause we all know what happens to mkI prices when a mkII drops

(EDIT: moved here => https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/61633/#Comment_61633 )