OP-1 Field audio over USB-C — what works?

Unfortunately not which I hoped it would do.

1 Like

lame :frowning:

1 Like

Will need to test this some more though…
perhaps it does work with midi-only devices?

Multiple midi-only devices on a usb hub do seem to work together.

The moment I plug an usb audio enabled device in the hub it selects only that device and disables all others…

audiobus 3 on the iPad has a setting “Multiroute Audio” that can be used to output to both the build in headset and one USB device. Been a real help for me :smiley:

So while in most cases it is true that you cannot do multiple audio outputs on the iPad, this is a nice feature for Audiobus 3, and who knows, maybe one day they will be able to expand upon it.

Only on iPads with headphone jacks though, which is a shame.

1 Like

Ok, mine arrived, and I’ve been testing. I’ve read that the BLE connection with the OP-Z doesn’t do clock sync. It doesn’t do clock, but it does do start/stop. You have to specify clock in or out on the OP-1’s MIDI settings page, not on the BLE connection page. Then you can choose to have the OP-1 or the OP-Z control start/stop.

1 Like

Weirdly my ipad connects to the field over usb but my phone doesn’t. My iphone starts charging and disconnects.

Don’t know if I should make a separate thread but does anyone know about USB connectivity with Android?

Does USB audio or file transfer via mtp work natively on Android? If anyone has tested it it would be a great help as I’m still waiting for my field…

I confirmed the audio input and MIDI on Cubasis 3 on my SONY Xperia 1. I haven’t tried the audio output.
Koala sampler does not recognize it as an external input.
Needless to say, Android is not practical due to its terrible audio latency, but it is possible.

I can browse the files in OP-1f, so I think that USB file transfer by MTP is okay. However, since I have not actually tried the file operation, it is unconfirmed whether it can be executed correctly.

Are you using Apple’s USB > Lightning connector for the iPhone?

Yea I’m using the branded lighting to type c cable that came with the phone

Is it working for you?

That won’t work. You need an adapter to make any USB accessories work with the iPhone.

1 Like

Yeah I won’t be using to record much, just hoping for a quick and easy way to transfer tape files to straight to my phone if USB audio isn’t possible/recommended

Cheers!

I have even found that some devices only work properly with this adaptor.

The Zoom H6 wouldn’t work with the one you listed (for me at least), because it needed power to be plugged into the other port. Not saying this is the case for the Field, but worth checking if you are able to.

1 Like

It’s weird to me because my Mac sees my iPhone as an audio/midi device over the same cable, indicating it isn’t just power delivery. Thanks for the tip though

Apple does proprietary things in their own ecosystem though, and puts rules in place for 3rd parties that frequently give the 3rd party hardware a distinct disadvantage.

That said though… in the case of a Mac and iPhone… the Mac is clearly the host, and providing power to the iPhone… which is totally fine in how they have defined the relationship. The problem with the iPhone → OP-1F is that the iPhone must be the host for the connection, as the iPhone will not function as a class compliant audio (and possibly midi… I forget off hand) device to the OP-1F.

1 Like

I have been connecting my OP-1F via USB to my PC and enabling “Listen to this input device” in Windows to play the OP-1 over my computer speakers. I’ve been getting some odd behavior. It works initially, but if I turn the OP-1 off and back on without unplugging, or if the PC goes to sleep, this stops working until I toggle “Listen to this input device” in the Sound panel in Windows.

I wonder if it’s related to OP-1F being in USB host mode or not…

Is there any way to debug which mode a USB device is in? Is there a way to intervene and renegotiate the mode?

It’s probably not in host mode when connected to a PC and used as a sound card/audio interface.