OP-1 Field Defective Units

Hello, my OP-1 Field came in 2 days ago and I immediate noticed that there is something loose shifting around inside the OP-1 Field whenever I pick it up and move it.
Im in texas and it was 100°F when my OP-1 Field was hand delivered, and when I took the OP-1 Field out of the box, it was very warm.
Could the Texas heat have softened the glue holding the battery in place?

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Shifting weight inside the OP-1 Field which you can hear and feel when turned upside down, or gently shaked.

I will be returning mine for a replacement, since I paid $2000 for the synth and it has loose parts inside.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised. Most gear isn’t meant to exist in 100+ degree weather inside a hot box. I can see glue melting enough at those temps to come loose.

2 Likes

I also received my unit today. I don’t have any rattling inside, but one of the keys does not register unless if I press pretty hard directly in the center. All other keys register even if I tap at the bottom of the key. Just sent a support request to TE so hopefully they respond soon.

1 Like

This is a response i got from TE:

“it might be the battery being loose, but we need to inspect the unit! anyway, it can’t be caused by the temperature, as the glue that is used can resist high temperatures!”

1 Like

i’m really looking forward to the op1f being available again and look forward to purchasing it, but seems like theres enough quality anomalies that make me want to wait and then wait some more. even if you put price aside, ie if it were a $700 machine, its a bit concerning

It seems like thousands have gone out from orders being fulfilled. A few manufacturing issues for brand new devices is normal and has been few and far between. That said, if you want to wait I’m sure others are happy to buy it sooner

2 Likes

It’s usually better to wait for latter batches, or just get it second hand - I wouldn’t want put 2k just to be a QA tester for TE.

They do have a 1 year warranty where they replace your unit with a new one for most manufacturing mistakes, which is nice.

Also, the OP-1F sounds so much better than the OG-1. Overall, just way better than the OG-1 and i am a bit sad i have to wait another 2-3 weeks to get my OP-1F replacement.

2 Likes

I hear ya. I already have mine. I don’t get the fear

1 Like

i think its more like a few hundred, not thousands

We have approximately 2600 or so known order numbers from the delivery thread / reddit. Now I bought mine a day after orders closed after someone canceled their order and the stock was put back on the site. People may have ordered other items during this launch week, like pocket operators or maybe a separate order for the bag after they ordered their OP-1 Field. So order numbers does not directly mean OP-1 Field order numbers. But it’s certainly a lot more than hundreds, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Did you ever get this figured out? Mine does the same thing. The device works perfectly but something is definitely loose inside. I alerted TE support.

Yes I emailed TE and they told me to send it in and theyll send a replacement. My replacement unit comes wednesday

I’ve had mine for nearly a week now - no loose battery, keys have not stuck down.

1 Like

Please keep us posted on whether your replacement is in better shape.

Just found this forum through google search.

I just received my OP-1F from the second round of sales on TE website yesterday. As soon as I took it out of packaging I felt something move inside too. After notifying TE they are having me send it back (currently waiting for instructions after filling out the RMA form). They also said it was probably the battery from not being glued down properly.

Mine wasn’t packed very tightly in the box it came in. Just one small bubble wrap layer around main box and some paper that wasn’t really filling the rest of the box. Really hope the replacement won’t be the same.

2 Likes

I’m in Europe and i got my unit on monday this week. No crooked/stuck keys or loose battery whatsoever, but there is an issue with the power switch. It was the very first thing i noticed immediately the moment i took it out of it’s box as the boot screen suddenly came up (without me even touching the power switch). I discovered that the switch on my unit is VERY sensitive to ever so slight pressure/ rubbing applied towards the up-position without really flipping it up. In this case the unit turns on with the switch being still in the down-position… and turns off again as soon as you apply slight pressure in the down-direction again. Just to clarify: that happens with the switch flipped down all the way, there is no visible difference in the switch position between being off/on that way.

The other way around when the unit is turned on by flipping the switch fully up the normal way everything is fine - it’s not turning off even when the same amount of pressure is applied in the down-direction - turns off only when flipping the switch down completely as you would expect.
Haven’t emailed TE-support yet, but i will for sure as this is really annoying.

Anyone else here that also experienced something like this?

4 Likes

Well dang. After almost three weeks my battery has gone loose. Sending in to TE for a replacement, but something to look out for. I was so confident that my unit was issue-free :frowning:

2 Likes

@klimperfisch
I have exactly the same issue you are describing.
Still unsure if I’ll return the unit, it is a very minor inconvenience as it happens if there is some pressure on the switch but it always goes back off once that pressure is released, may not be as sensitive as yours.
No issue whatsover on the ON position too.

1 Like

My new unit is also having issues. Idk if its a big deal but one of the keys bugs out when pressed very gently. When pressed firmly its fine, but when pressed lightly it doesnt sound or it double triggers. Its bothering me but maybe its not a big deal. Anyone else have this issue?

1 Like