OP-1 field feature requests

Have not read the whole thread.
(So: sorry if this was discussed.)

But one thing I always wish for, is that I could have the LFO engines control various parameters of the sequencers

that’s all.

3 Likes

This is a nice one!

1 Like

Chromatic tuner on the input (line-in / mic) would be fantastic. I’m using the op-1 as a recorder / fx unit for instruments, and this would get rid of one more thing I have to carry. Bonus points for a strobe tuner, since we have the nice screen!

2 Likes

As I keep playing with the field, the most annoying part is how the sequencing, 8 instruments presets, master eq, master fx and M1/M2 are global across the whole device. This is the one of those things I don’t understand why they didn’t have project based. I truly hope in an update they’ll address these issues because it would actually make it feel like I have 8 different project! Instead, I having to be careful not change because it will affect my other projects. Is there a reason behind why they didn’t add these feature to the op-1 field? If there isn’t, PLEASE FIX THIS TE!

Also, please fix the popping that randomly occurs on tracks when recording through usb-c.

4 Likes

Why isn’t there automatic arm releasing? Is it a feature? I mean every time I want to record a chord or a sampled piano piece with two hands, I have to figure out how to rearrange my finger to start recording and not mess up the first chord

2 Likes

I second this! In the latest OS, they changed it so when recording is armed via SHIFT+REC, playback will start on the first external MIDI note. This does not work for internal recording, which starts playback only when holding REC.

Confusingly, holding REC does not work for external notes.

2 Likes

Similarly, I really wish OP-1 had a way to record exactly one loop and then disarm. At this time, it’s hard to use OP-1 as a looper. While it can record and play loops, pressing and releasing REC needs to be timed exactly to avoid unwanted overdubbing.

4 Likes

I would like to be able to see the playhead position on a playing sample.

5 Likes

Nice, same.

Simple one from me - if we had the option of turning unit on by toggling power and then confirming with COM button, like how there’s the option to turn it off that way.
(My case is just a little small, have opened it to find unit turned on already from accidental toggle)

2 Likes

Microtonality

I’m uncertain how to articulate the idea because I don’t fully understand it myself. But it would be great to be able to retune each note on the keyboard to create different temperament tunings and microtonal scales.

I understand that you can tune the whole synth engine in cents which in theory means you could go note at a time but something deeper could be cool.

One way around this I realised is to sample a microtonal scale onto the drum sampler and then you can have any scale how you want.

2 Likes

When using the OP-1 field as a Bluetooth MIDI keyboard, the velocity value is 127 when the velocity sensitivity is set to OFF.

This is too large and I would like to set it to a lower value, but unfortunately it is fixed at 127 and cannot be changed freely.

I would like to add a function that allows me to freely change the velocity value to increase convenience when using it for tape recording or as a BT MIDI keyboard.

2 Likes

Gyro to midi CC when in control mode for MPE style mapping!

So sad there were no updates for the past months, seems TE slowed down after almost monthly delivery

5 Likes

I wish there was a way to select either line level or microphone level inputs! Using external mics (ie lavalier) results in an almost non existent sound, while using a splitter adapter into the trrs in of the headphones makes them useful. I wish there was a way to select this without splitters

1 Like

Probably already mentioned, but here goes :

• some kind of bus gcomp for gluing things altogether
  • some useful FXs, like a LoFier, a tremolo (this one is an absolute must-have), a half-time effect, a pitch shifter. At the very least. Oh. And some kind of simple amp sim for guitar/bass.
  • a count-in for recording. Too useful not to be implemented at some point (although not really coherent with the tape workflow)
  • some kind of MPE capabilities
  • a way to fine tune the rotaries action so you could record automations when midi controlling any DAW
  • one thing I would absolutely love ( and a very weird omission if you ask me) : tape segments color coding (with the help of a shift function) for song structure and arrangements.
  • a general fade-in fade-out on tape segments to avoid audio clips
  • a way to avoid samples clipping (ie. when playing a sampled kick, releasing the note too early basically ends up with a very audible audio clip, which is not only annoying af, but a quick fix via updates of the engine)
  • a noise cancellation algorithm for the on-board mic
  • some kind of easter egg game like in the OG1
  • classic sampled instruments (at very least, a usable grand piano)
  • and one last request : some kind of already-chopped loops (like Output’s Arcade, in a way)
  • a way to expand the OP1f like they did on the OPZ. Just to add some functionalities (ie. modular add-ons, hardware synth engines, new ways to record audio-in, etc)
  • some crafty, « TE only could have think of this » ways to use the FM emitter/receptor.

Guess TE has some updates to work on. These features - and a lot of the ones I read above - are all feasible (somewhat) easily since it’s all about software and not hardware update/upgrade.

3 Likes

Most of the things on your list are already there or are doable with a workaround , again give it some time and practice. Rome wasn’t build in a …

1 Like

…week? :grin:
Then again, I’d be delighted if you were able to expand beyond the vague answer.
But noted. Time is the answer.
I’m still gonna respectfully insist that some critical (at least for me) things on my so-called list are not doable at the moment.
Color coding isn’t a thing, as discussed elsewhere fade-ins are doable to some extend but not fade-outs (either on the tape or on the sample editor), the listed FXs are not to magically appear on-board to my best knowing, and so on.
But thanks for your constructive answers.
I could benefit from your detailed advices if possible.
Thanks again for replying!
Cheers!

Two weeks :).
There is a thread called something like: tips and tricks
In there you can find a million ways to do things the
op-1 way. Look it up and learn young skywalker.

Already have, OP1 Reknobi. Read through the thread a good month ago. Also digested SonWu’s channel for the past year with my morning coffee. And TE’s OG1 tutorials too.
Still having trouble seeing how this connects with a wish-for list of features the OP1f can’t do at the moment…but hey, points for answering anyways.
Don’t wanna clog up this creative thread, tho. Thanks for your…

1 Like