OP-1 field feature requests

It feels like the four Field products were all developed completely independently, without internal company communication. The TX-6, TP-7, and the OP-1f should be able to easily talk to each other, that’s what would be expected from a field system or field kit. The TP-7 records at a sample rate up to 96kHz, I believe. The TX-6 up to 48kHz, the OP-1 field is 44.1 kHz. It’s almost like they designed them to be incompatible.
Well, despite the lack of logic, I like my TE stuff.

8 Likes

I need a value for the main tape input volume when recording. If I record a part, then have to turn the tape gain/input level down for a shaker or something, it’s really hard to re-adjust the level when going back to the previous instrument.

3 Likes

Would be nice having a way to export files wirelessly from the op-1 field to the iPhone or other devices!

2 Likes

Regarding effects on input, can’t you just record to tape with master effect and then resample that?

1 Like

Thanks! Though the video was posted one year ago…

Longer tape than 6 minutes.

1 Like

slow your tape speed down
viola more than 6 minutes

It is a solution, but rather experimental, for lofi music. Lowering the tape speed affects the sound quality. If I cut the speed by half, then the sample rate will go down from 44,1kHz to ~22kHz, which can record the sounds of max. ~11kHz. So all the high pitch will be missing.

Besides, even I lower the tape speed and record a tape 12 minutes long, for example, then how to mix it down and make a 12 minutes long album? Won’t the album WAV file be 6 minutes long anyway, and play double in pitch? I think I might slow it down in a DAW, but OP-1F is not portable and “Field” anymore if I have to link it to a DAW.

2 Likes

This a good idea, that I have heard many people request…

PLEASE DO THIS!!!

The 6-minute limit is rather harsh. I think there should be at least an option to get 24 minutes on a single stereo track and 48 minutes in mono. This way Field could be used for creative sound work other than just music. (E.g. taking notes or recording podcasts.)

2 Likes

IMO, the Tape section could do with some updates.

• the one you mentioned : being able to put the combined recording time on one tape only so you could have a longer tape
  • dialing in the « tape texture » so you can have many different flavors
  • this one is probably not doable but : having « tape speed » commit to your .wav files when you export
  • changing the time signature per tape
  • the ability to shorten one tape length to get it back on another tape
  • new tape styles : vinyl, floppy disk, radio for instance
  • settings per tape : saturation, wear, noise, wow/flutter settings for the tapes, to add particular grainy textures here and there

All in all, the Tape section just begs for an update!

1 Like

I dig these ideas @Heyes
I thought about the field the other day and I’ve been thinking it’s in kinda a weird spot of development.

One hand it’s a fully mature product, a hardware revision of a 12 year old product, but on the other hand it’s really early in it’s own lifecycle and it feels like it hasn’t really yet come into it’s own.

For the platform change, and the price change, I’m still curious to see what they can squeeze out of this hardware.

I think there is definitely more to do with the new tapes concept, I like the idea of dry wet so that I’m not slapping tape noise onto each layer every time I’m working with a lot of overdubs. I currently do everything on studio tape, and only go over to another tape when looking for that flavor specifically, which… isn’t really what they intended I don’t think.

edit: ^doubling down on this last point. if you’re looping and working on different sections of audio, the fact that tape noise is applied everytime leads to little (noticeable) changes in the volume of the noise(slightly louded every time a section is overdubbed) .
I like to build up drums over the course of a couple loops and sometimes just punch in to record another hit at various points. Well each of those overdubs, and each of those random hits is accompanied by tape noise, so you can hear the volume changing every time. I think ‘tape’ flavor would probably be better applied as an insert effect, that way I could stay on the tape I want without these issues.
That way also you can get tape noise included when you are resampling, but not for every overdub.

Dry/Wet would also really alleviate this issue.

2 Likes

I 100% subscribe to your point of view.

At times, and for that price point, it feels half-baked.
Not to say that this isn’t a great piece of hardware. It is. But there are so many missed opportunities that would have turn this into a staple of its time.

The FX and Tape sections are due to an update. With new FXs, new settings, new possibilities.
The overall workflow could do with loads of tweaks and fixes.
The synths and sample engines could be developed into more functional beasts.

All in all, the op1 Field sits in a weird place ate the time.
And I think many of us were kinda put off by yet another TE release for 2023 and not an update in sight for the op1f.

Velocity sensitive update was more of a most-needed add.

It is said around here that 2024 is probably TE’s big « updates » year.
But with the (weird yet amazing) EP series in sight, I do hope TE has plans for the op1f.

Many users I talked to justified the price tag with the probability of regular, outstanding updates.
This has yet to develop into something.

Here’s hope TE’s team just don’t drop the ball here!

4 Likes

I’d like to use the TX-6 or TP-7 as an input source over usb to record to all four tracks at once.

2 Likes

I’m sure some of these have been requested but I’ve not read all the replies, but here’s my wish list

Ability to save and recall sequences for the endless sequencer. This would be more useful than the increase to 999 steps that they made. Having just one sequence is a pain as I like to record midi output via the USB C port into Reason or Live when I get home. Naming the sequences would be a bonus.

Micro SD card - ok this won’t happen as that would require a physical change to the unit. Maybe one for them to add to the OP1-XP, should they ever make one of those. XP standing for expanded.

Send FX. Only having one master effect for the tape is limiting. At least give us a send effect for a delay or reverb. At least this way we can choose to send individual tracks to this effect or keep them dry

Longer patch names, rather than the current character limit

Hooking up with Sonic Charge again to bring a version of their Micro Tonic drum machine into the OP-1F, like they did to create the PO32 tonic.

Also if they could do a collab with Reason Studios, and give us a DrOctorex to play REX files then that would be great. They did that with Korg and their gadget app. Even if it was just a plain old Dr Rex for those Reason users who remember when the Rex player could only load one Rex loop in at a time.

Patch memories for all the FX so we can store, and name, different effect settings.

Per track EQ for the tape. Let us apply a different eq cut or boost on a per track basis.

Tape duplicate. If you’ve not created 8 reels then allow a reel to be duplicated in the OP1-F. The only way to do this at the moment is to hook OP1F up to your computer and use the Field kit app to copy the reel you want to duplicate to your desktop, rename it, and then drag it back to the OP1F. Voila, a copy of your tape.

Just a few of my wishes. :grinning:

9 Likes

Hello everyone

“Fast navigation in the arrangement”

One of the most tedious things to do with the OP1 is navigating in the arrangement.

I may have used SHIFT-left/right a million times in a month.

There’s one simple thing that could solve this : if you use SHIFT-STOP you can change the lentght of the navigating step. For now those steps are in a range from 1/16 to 1 bar.
Why not extending this to 2 bars, 8 bars and more ?

8 Likes

I would love to see that. But then again there’s a million things in tape editing I’d love to see that make the process easier.

2 Likes

one hack that is good, albeit only if you have audio tracks in the project, is to use shift+3 while hovering over the audio, which will engage a new loop marker around that audio segment. then when you hit stop button, you go to the begging of that segment. this only works in traveling back.

the other hack is if you just create a random loop, say 4 bars, hit play, and then use shift and arrow, you will move the “next” loop marker. what is cool though, is if you just hit play again, it will warp you to that new loop immediately! so you can effectively move in any chunk of bars.

5 Likes

A USB C card reader would solve this. OP1-F screen is plenty big enough to browse a SD card samples folder (even better if files are already OP1-F compatible and can be auditioned before transfer - or offload tapes etc …

6 Likes

Good idea. It would only require an OS update to allow cards to be read via a card reader.

3 Likes