Op-1 Field new firmware 1.5.5

creating some buzzzzz :rotating_light:

tracker style sequencer
Acoustic Drum Synth Engine
EP Engine
merge screen with options to operate the actual tape (voltage used, ins outs, length, merge, slice, dust, quality, resample with real individual tape settings, like operating that hardware pendant)
Tape Echo FX
MIDI reel
Multitrack Support
undo

it’ll drop when Elektron comes either with the A4 e25 firmware update or the real TonVerk :person_in_lotus_position:

TE TE :melting_face::melting_face:

3 Likes

I heard that the usb enhancements are to ensure compatibility with Tonverk, but there were some late changes to Tonverk firmware hence the 1.5.5 delay

(Ps :slight_smile: )

WTF!!! I don’t see this update! I’m glad it’s not real because I was hoping for per-project sequencing and presets instead of global ones. The OP-1 Field has 8 different individual projects are not really separate, in my opinion. Also, M1 and M2 should control the EQ and Master FX separately, instead of one or the other.

vis a vis the merge project, there isn’t any indication (afaik) that the update would cause projects not to be separate

OP-1 Field isn’t for everyone. Same with the OP-1. Not for everyone. It sounds like it’s not for you. You can’t buy a product on an expectation of what it may become, and be surprised when you’re disappointed. It’s a gamble.

Even as a big Apple fan at the time, when the iPhone was announced in January of 2007, I immediately went out and bought a Nokia N95. It had a 5MP camera with flash, autofocus and video, (even half push to focus, full push to take shot, like a real camera!) GPS, 3D GPU, media control buttons, Flash Player, etc etc. So many things iPhone did not have. Later after using an iPod touch I imported an iPhone and modded it to make it work in my country and sold the Nokia. It was worth putting up with limitations to get the benefits.

Anyway if I wanted a sequencer I have the Yamaha QY-100, which is awesome. Super useful in the studio. Full size midi ports, for one. Pattern and song modes. Editable sounds. You can run jobs, eg tell it to fade the velocities of all notes on channel 2 from 0 to 127 over bars 3 to 4. Done. I also bought a use OP-Z. It’s cool… I don’t really get on with it.

I love the OP-1 Field.

Think of the OP-1 Field as a digital four track tape machine, but with way better tape editing. It is not a sequencer. The sequencers are like arpegiators - they’re to help you play stuff in to the tape more easily, and with perfect timing.

Presets 1 and 2 I permanently have setup as an audio input to put effects over life input (via a modified vocoder preset) and a silent ‘midi output’ sound to play notes out and record audio in from external gear. A long push of any preset saves it, so I frequently swap in sounds based on what I’m doing. They’re only preset buttons to quickly swap between the presets you’re using making a track. I’ll often swap to another track to do something else and lift the result back and paste it into place. I don’t want the presets changing with tapes. I understand why someone would - so it would be a nice choice for the options.

One thing I love is that the ‘sequencers’ (think arpeggiators) are de-coupled from the sounds. (I’d like to shift+press sequencer and browse sequences or have a few slots though.) On the microfreak, sequences are part of the preset. Having them decoupled on OP-1 (and field) allows me to put the notes in, play it along side the tape, and go tweaking the preset and then find it’s not working and change presets entirely, and keep the ‘notes’ the same. Think of them as an assistant, playing the keys for you, while you modify things - It is not a sequencer.

And I’m ok with that.

There are a billion ‘sequencers’ - there is nothing else quite like OP-1 / OP-1 Field. Sequencers (or things with detailed sequencing) I have excluding lots of DAWs: QY-100, PMA-5, Woovebox, OP-Z, PO-20, Motif XS6, Fantom X8, GEM WX2+, GEM Wk4+, Equinox 88, MZ-2000 etc etc. And what do I end up using the most? OP-1 Field. The DAW sequencer I use the most is actually MSSIAH on the C64, which has two 8580 SID chips in it (the revised version with better multimode filters) because it’s the best way to get the precise control I want out of the C64 - with six oscillators across the two chips I can make each note be a totally different preset. Handy.

Oh, and I have a POM-16 TE sequencer I haven’t put together yet, meaning to use that with my ARP 2600 clone. Haven’t got around to building it yet - for now I plug the Yamaha BT midi dongle into the 2600, and use ENDLESS or other OP-1 Field sequencers to trigger notes in the 2600 and record it back into the OP-1 Field as an audio track. Then I can adjust sounds on the 2600 (eg re-pitch the oscillators to different notes) and layer that new copy of audio over the previous one on the OP-1 Field. This works really well. A BT midi dongle lets me trigger any midi capable synth and record the audio back into the Field, and it acts as a midi hub - Midi comes in over BT LE from the Nord Grand and goes out the USB-C on the OP-1 Field into the Micromonsta2. Or out over BT LE at the same time into the Woovebox. When I briefly had an Orba (didn’t like it) it could play notes to the OP-1 which would send the notes out over BT Midi to the dongle on the Nord. Could walk around the house triggering notes on the Nord from the Orba. I say house because the Nord is in the house, where I have a minimal living room suitable music setup, and not in the studio where all the gear is. OP-1 can move effortlessly between both locales, and in it’s little sling bag fit over my should under my jumper when I go for a walk or catch public transport. I always have keys, speaker, mic, synths, recording, sampling etc always ready to go anywhere. I’m not aware of anything else that can do all that. The closest, with the update, is the Woovebox, which is amazing - but a very different UI paradigm. But it does record audio tracks, only sampling. Which is quite different.

It’s easy to criticise something - I could write walls of text about my dislike for putting vinyl on a pedestal, or MPCs. But I recognise that some people have good use cases for an MPC.

The chopper game on OP-1? It’s why I haven’t sold my OP-1 OG yet, because I’ve never played the game for more than a moment. I’d rather them focus on more music focused improvements, than bringing the game over though. But for me the reason why I bought Field was because I could afford it at the time (I couldn’t now) and I’d only bought the OG new less than a year prior, and while I thought I’d just want the OP-1 to use on the train, I wanted to use it everywhere, for everything. And the built in recording to tape from external gear was my favourite part, but everything sounded horrible. It was a sketchpad. If I recorded the Nord Grand into the OP-1 it was mono and lofi, reverb and sense of space was lost. So it was a placeholder device, I’d then go and use Logic to Get Real Work Done. But OP-1 Field with it’s excellent sonic fidelity meant that - within it’s limitations - I can do anything with it, and be happy with the sound quality at least.

Anyway, time to make some music :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I understand, except for why they didn’t specify that sequencing and presets were globally based in the specifications. This could confuse people, myself included. As I mentioned, I paid over $300 in import fees when purchasing the device, and I would’ve lost that if I returned it, plus the shipping costs to send it back.

Regarding the mention of phones, I had a Motorola Razr in 2007, I’m not sure what phones have to do with the OP-1 field, but I suppose I should share that, since you did.

If you didn’t care about the chopper game and all the OP-1’s quirkiness, then why would you spend that much money on something when you could get something much better for cheaper? Maybe you just didn’t spend enough time with the chopper game to get to the gas station, but I thought it was pretty cool, to be honest. This is what makes the device different from other synths. If I really wanted to make a good song, I probably wouldn’t use this device, but I bought it because of its fun and unique features.

I guess we just have different opinions on the device. I could just use my phone as a recorder/sequencer if I really wanted to.

As for the list of your other devices, I don’t know what this has to do with anything, but I didn’t buy the device to match these other devices or software. We have different opinions on the device.

Well…. I better go save my op-1 field to my computer so I can change the sequencer and make music😕

$300 import fee…are you in Australia? I might be interested.

In the US, items imported with a serial number from China at that price incur significant import fees.

I thought Australia was the only place that had this shitty import tax.

haha hold up- so you’re gonna keep this $2000 mistake so you don’t lose $300 import tax plus shipping? you made a mistake, because you blame the company for false advertising, and no matter the reason you say the machine doesn’t work like you need it to. so instead of cutting your loses and being mad, you’re gonna be mad AND not get back whatever money you can get back?

also, i’m assuming you bought this machine recently? if so, why did you not look at videos on youtube for hours before investing so much money into something? you can complain about the TE website description all you want, but just go search about the device on youtube and watch all the reviews and you can see what the device actually does before you buy it?

and also- this community here doesn’t owe you anything. if you want to be mad and freak out, have you written to TE support? they have really good response times these days.

you can check the pinned post at the top of this forum:
“Going forward please use the SoapBox section, newly created just you get rid of the acid taste in your mouth.”

1 Like

Hey, I was just expressing my opinion on what I was hoping the update would include.

1 Like

yes, well spotted, that was me- talking about old cell phones and devices i own?

my friend, you literally just proved why you are upset at TE… because clearly you can’t slow down and comprehend what you read, if you want to be mad at their website for whatever you think you understood or not.

anyway, back to the firmware on topic here…

i’m guessing they might do a huge firmware drop for all of their devices at superbooth? maybe that’s why the firmware is on hold for now? like they just did the tx-6 update but with no fanfare, and i heard there’s a big tp-7 update coming… could be cool that they do a big firmware update across the board… especially if those firmwares all work together in new cool ways?!? does anyone know if TE is going to superbooth this year?

My (admittedly long winded) point about the N95 vs iPhone was simply the last sentence, “It was worth putting up with limitations to get the benefits.” iPhone on paper was so much less than the N95, except it was more than the sum of its parts, for me. Likewise, OP-1 Field vs other gear with more features. For me.

Mentioning other gear was to show that I have loads of things with hardware sequencing, and yet for me I still reach for and am most productive on their piece of gear with the ‘worst’ sequencers - the OP-1 Field.

In any case, let hope they do add more well thought out functionality in future updates. I’ve submitted to their support my own number one must have additional feature :slight_smile:

Not sure, but they are not listed on the exhibitors page

But they might still use the buzz around Superbooth to announce something. In their Q&A session last year the CEO did confirm that they are working on an OP-Z Field, so maybe this is the time. Or also for other stuff.

2 Likes

i think @Deek311 is right in many ways. there are some things about how the op1f is marketed which leave certain things which could be transparently communicated behind a shroud of mystery lol. so i think @Deek311 has firm ground to be upset about this.

another thing for @Deek311 is that the good news is im confident the op1f will grow on you over the years and you will like it more as time goes on.

lastly, its strange you had to pay import in the US bc the field ships from within the US so no import would be charged. where did you buy this from if you dont mind my asking?

2 Likes

i really hope they do both fw drops and an opzf drop but im not holding my breath :smiley:

1 Like

Thomann back in 2022. I think after the import fee thing, Thomann quite selling op-1 field to the US. I’ve owned it for quite some time, and I don’t hate it; I just don’t use it as much as I thought I would. Maybe with the new update, I might.

After finding the email, I guess it was for $260, but I can’t remember if I had to pay taxes on it, and maybe that’s why I was thinking $300. Still, it was a hefty price, and I can’t remember if they were sold out everywhere in the US at the time, which might be why I bought it overseas.

ah ok got it. makes sense. they were selling in the US at that time. i got my first field in 2021 from TE in their USA webstore.

but thomann is a great retailer so perhaps its worth the extra cost

1.5.6 is out!

Does anyone have an explanation for how the clipboard mixer levels differ from active mixer levels?

5 Likes