OP-1 Firmware Update #243 - USB AUDIO!

It seems so simple, but in use I cannot believe this was never a feature right out of the gate.

It’s such a joy to layer sounds in the OP with other synths and play it all with an external controller!

Nice update! Has anyone found a way to adjust gain from op1 to android phone? The audio sounds a bit… Blown out.

1 Like

You could try lowing the Drive settings? I found that with the L and R levels at 99, the Drive needs to be 0, otherwise the audio clips, even in Ableton.

1 Like

I think that does the trick. Has to be at ZERO. Routing does not appear to go through volume knob. Have to control levels at page 4 of mixer.

Thanks!

Is there a way to turn the USB audio functionality off?

On iOS the last plugged USB audio device wins. I would like to use usb midi on the op-1 but use my audio interface for audio. Currently I have to unplug and replug my audio interface after plugging in the OP-1.

@bobbyhalick

@abstrkx has the wisdom here. “OP-1 Speakers” is automatically enabled and at the top of the Windows 10 audio settings page, but “OP-1 Synth” is automatically disabled and hidden at the very bottom of the settings page. Once that was manually enabled “OP-1 Synth” now shows up in Ableton as an option under MME/DirectX. Recording to and from the OP-1 with Ableton is much faster and smoother than the ASIO4all option and allows playing audio from the OP-1 headphone jack, computer speakers, computer headphone jack, etc. Thank you!

3 Likes

Yo, anyone on ableton, if ya don’t know, ya’ll can follow this tutorial which is built in to make sure audio is aligning correctly to the timeline.

Do you have the link?

Not saying this is the fix, but in case it helps anyone else, I just had to turn off warping on as the default setting for recorded clips. When I had it on the OP-1 tracks would get squished and sped up at the end, but I turned it off and added a synth beep (on each OP-1 track) at 5:59 of the 6-minute tape. When I brought the new tracks in again all the beeps lined up at 5:59 in Ableton and sounded the same.

For the tutorial? I don’t think I can link it. It’s built into the lessons from the help menu you can view on the right.

Ah ha! Thanks. I didn’t realize it was the built-in help.

I’ll check it.

1 Like

I’m new to the device and DAW’s in general - but I Was happy to see this update.

However, when I connect the OP-1 to logic, nothing I record on the OP-1 plays back in logic. I see the midi etc, but no sound plays.

Is it possible to record the OP-1 synths and drums into logic as midi? or only control the logic instruments?

They could totally create a breakout USB dongle thing that has a CV clock in and clock out, unless there’s a hardware limitation I’m unaware of

1 Like

Thank you so much for this info

1 Like

No! So the midi functionality has always been there, so you can use the op-1 to control software synths in logic.

This new function should allow you to plug your USB into your Mac, select the op-1 synth as the audio driver in logic, and then it should be transmitting audio over USB. You HAVE to switch to the op-1 driver from asio or mxe/direct or whatever, and it might make it so you can’t use your audio interface inputs at the same time btw. Look into asio4all if you have more issues but that’s a whole other thing.

We were having weird issues with it on windows and Ableton, but I think it works on Mac and logic pretty plug and play.

You could record the sequences from the OP-1 through MIDI to control Logic instruments, then also layer in OP-1 sounds all through USB.

I was very excited about the update but I have this issue:
whenever i connect OP-1 to my mac I can choose it as an input/output device in the preferences, but it stays connected only for 5 or 6 seconds and then disconnects. Even when it is connected there is no sound going through the OP-1 from the DAW and back but i can hear the OP-1 sound through headphones obviously.

I have the same issue both in Ableton and Logic.

Anyone know what the reason may be?

PS just to make sure: do I understand correctly that this USB Audio feature kinda turns OP-1 into the soundcard so I should hear the sounds from my DAW through OP-1? And it should work on the fly without any movements whatsoever?

Sorry if my question is dumb :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I gave USB audio a try today thinking it could be a fun way to record short videos on my phone.

Problem 1 - Android video apps kind of suck. Open Camera seems to be the only one that records audio from external mic.

Problem 2 - There is a lot of noise in the recording.

One thing I didn’t try … is turn off the ‘charge from USB’ setting while recording. That has caused issues in the past. I might also try putting a powered USB hub in the way…once I get hold of one. It would be really cool if this can work well!

I managed to make a first video using OP-1 USB audio and OpenCamera. There was still some noise (I again forgot to turn off the ‘charge from USB’ setting) but it was acceptable quality. I smiled when I got ready to copy the video the PC and laboriously edit it and realised I actually didn’t have to :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi. OP1 user with Reaper on Mac/High Sierra

Can anyone quickly help with a problem?

242 installed.
My sync from DAW works great

243 installed
The sync does not work.
OP1 sends out notes, but will not receive clock or MIDI notes from Reaper.

Checked other devices that receive clock, all are behaving correctly. So it’s not Reaper.

When I reinstal 242, OP1 takes sync as expected. I’ve look around but dont see much on this issue?

Any thoughts?