OP-1 Firmware Update #243 - USB AUDIO!

tHIS!!!

wow

did a lil digging.
the interface shows up as 2 in 2 out
and the output stereo panning does indeed work
but doesn’t seem to matter what u do with the input
its always summed to mono.
i tried sending only to channel 1 or only 2.
tried panning with 1 or 2
tried sending pair 1/2 but panning left and right
tried monitoring on different screens
tape, drum synth, mixer, album, input select (mic)
tried recording straight to album (which is stereo)
then listening back via the usb output and headphones
always sums to mono. equal level to both L & R outputs

I just repacked 243 with all the mods enabled and everything seems to work just fine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Am I missing something obvious here… I want to use the OP1 as an audio interface with just an iPhone and multitrack OP1 sounds on the iPhone.

So I set tape to monitor USB input… great, this works I can hear the audio from iPhone coming through the OP1… now I want to play something on from the OP1 back to the iPhone as a new layer… problem is the audio coming in on the input of the OP1 is fed back to the iPhone… so I get a feedback loop

Is there a way around this? A way to monitor whats coming into the OP1 on the headphone output without sending it back out of the outputs over USB?

2 Likes

Thanks for this big heads up! I was worried about sacrificing all the nice things from the modded firmware in exchange for the new features.

Thanks for figuring this out.

So this means that although the OP-1 offers Stereo signal over USB, the OP-1’s input will always be a single channel input (mono).

I guess we’ll have to settle for this. It is still amazing that we got this in the end!

I don’t think you’ll be able to do that. The USB I/O can be set as a source for one of the tracks, but the sound coming out of the OP-1 is whatever your ‘mix’ or final ‘production’ is. The OP-1 is essentially only one (stereo) source of audio at all times!

1 Like

do we need to download specific drivers to get this working on windows? I saw someone do this on mac and it was pretty seamless… It wont show up under devices in ableton.

1 Like

Anyone have any luck single-cable connecting the OP-1 & -Z with this USB interface opened up?

1 Like

so i got the update and my input and output on my daw(logic) and mac are set to OP1.

I record something on the daw through op1 but i can’t seem to hear the playback.

What am i doing wrong ?

I’m interested in this as well and sent a question to TE support. My initial hunch says that it’s not possible because the OP-Z guide (18.2) says that the input device needs to be a USB Host which the OP-1 is not.

Not sure if this is a hardware or software limitation for either the OP-1 or OP-Z but crossing my fingers that it’ll be possible some day. I’m currently using an iRig to feed OP-1 audio into the OP-Z, but a single cable for clock sync + audio would be dope!

2 Likes

oh yes! that’s what I’ve been wanting.
I always thought I had something set up wrong when this didn’t happen.

Awesome! Wonder how useful that audio interface could be with iPad apps.

3 Likes

Works great on the iPad, though you will likely want another interface that also gets you a headphone jack. Audiobus 3 will let you route audio around, but it wants headphones plugged in to see additional audio interfaces.

For those not seeing input going to your OP-1, make sure you shift-mic and select usb as an input source.

Happy sampling friends!

3 Likes

I am running Windows 10 and Ableton 11. I have different hardware that has its own ASIO-based drivers, but I realized I didn’t actually have ASIO4ALL installed as an option on this computer. OP-1 wouldn’t show up as an audio option in Ableton, although (OP-1 Speakers) would show up as a generic speaker option under the Windows sound setting (didn’t seem to have an effect on anything).

After installing the ASIO driver I can select ASIO4ALLv2 in Ableton. Selecting Hardware Setup in the audio settings opens the ASIO4ALL window where different devices can be turned on and off. OP-1 shows up on this list and can be turned at which point it will start acting as an interface.

I have been messing around with the settings for a while and I have been able to:

• Play sound from Ableton and sample it to the OP-1
  • Play internal OP-1 sounds and record them into Ableton.
  • Send this audio through my computer speakers while using the OP-1 as an audio source.

The last option was pretty glitchy no matter what I tried to do about latency. I recommend plugging headphones into the OP-1 jack and doing all audio monitoring from there. I have also had issues with audio feedback loops or audio doubling (I can hear the OP-1 regular synth plus a quieter version of that synth playing at the same time in Ableton with effects). The solutions to these issues have been to manually turn off the 2in or 2out options on the OP-1 driver depending on whether I am trying to send audio to Ableton or send it to the OP-1 (ASIO4ALL windows + Settings button + dropdown button next to OP-1 label).

It is functional, but it isn’t super smooth and I keep running into audio issues like random crackling or delay. I have a very fast processor so I think this might be an OP-1 + Windows issues happening. That said, I have gotten clean audio out on both ends after a few attempts and I am having a lot of fun.

4 Likes

Hi all,
First impressions of 243:

1. On Windows with Live & Audacity, the input latency using OP-1 USB out into Windows DirectX or MME is around 50msec or worse, pretty difficult for me to play “live” and in sync with existing audio. (Haven’t tried my Mac yet)
  2. existing “User” folder backups i’ve tried to restore with samples either show silent or the wrong sample in both Synth and Drum samplers. As a test, i made a new “Test” folder in the “Synth” folder and copied my old User files there; they loaded correctly with loop points, FX, LFO settings as i remember.
    Kludgey.
  3. a nice surprise, not sure if part of the 243 update or something else, synth engine patches on Windows no longer say “OP-1 patch” but play the actual synth sound!

For now, i went back to 242 so i can load in my old sounds…and yes, i did a factory reset first, then the firmware update.

Cheers,
psound74

2 Likes

It was already the case with sample based content, iirc.
Do you mean that there is some sound output from a regular synth engine patch ?
That would be interesting, it would mean they actually render the audio from the patch at some point when saving it.

Sorry I’m a new owner, can someone explain the difference between the new tape arming and the old way?
Curious to optimise my workflow, hope its not too dumb a question!

this update is great, it’s a pleasure to use Koala and Model 15 digitally with the OP-1.

nice to blend in massive Synth sounds in line with the factory content or to use koala for resampling any tape track snippets with different fx a few times.

no significant audio loss, it’s awesome!

a raspberry pi makes a good audio host to mix or re-route all digital signals :heart:

1 Like

You can arm tape recording by holding the record button. When pressing play or a piano key on the OP-1 it will start the tape and lock recording until you stop. This new feature allows you arm recording then automatically start the recording by pressing play on another device like a DAW or midi device that sends stop/start messages.

This makes it easier to sample in because before you had to time hitting record+play on OP-1 and play on in the DAW, in order to get your sample synced with the beat.

4 Likes