OP-1 Tips and Tricks

What about transfering the album file to your computer. Then you select only the right/left channel output on the computer and record to let's say track 1 with the audio output of your computer feeding the OP1. Repeat for the other channel on track 2.

It is lame but should work I guess?

Or just drop into the tracks via the computer.

Thanks guys for your solutions !

@ghostly606 yours is the best for the general case, I think.

Just not OK for actual Battle :slight_smile:
The thing is on Volca Sample I made some use of the ā€œpanningā€ button and its automation, to separate the bass or the hi-hats for instance.
All this effort is lost when recording into the OP-1. Such a shameā€¦

Can you not record the album onto separate tracks using the ear, with the master faders set first for the left channel and then for the right channel?

OR

I guess you can just play your Volca Sample in live during the bouncedown to album.

@ghostly606 Playing with the master faders should do the trick !!! Excellent suggestion, thatā€™s what I was looking for :slight_smile:
I already play the Volca Sample live, I just cannot really do the panning trick both on the bass and the hi-hatsā€¦
And playing twice live on two separate tracks does some pretty effects but not what I had in mind.

Thanks mate !

Hey Guys -this seems like a great idea with master L&R faders for album bounce to tape.Has anyone managed it and how do you avoid haas effect and keep timing locked between L & R on two separate tape tracks? Trigger start would be good if tape record is held then press play on album,but I donā€™t think this works.

This is pretty simple, but I didnā€™t see it mentioned & might be useful.
For pattern sequencer, if you are recording a few bars of your beat to the tape and you want that 4th bar to change, you arenā€™t limited to reversing the order of the pattern (though that can be cool & Maybe a lot easier to implementā€¦)
What I like to do is grab the white knob & go hard left so the pattern length goes down to 1. So just the kick repeats for a mea sure , very common in hip hop.
Only drawback is itā€™s pretty much impossible to 're-adjust the length so the pattern comes back on beat. Just have to cut copy paste it.

I havenā€™t tried, but do M1/M2 buttons work in this case ?
Would be great :slight_smile:

TWO THINGS i cannot find clear information on:

1.) How to consolidate any number of tracks to a single track so i can layer more without overwriting.

2.) How to customize M1 and M2 keys.

@agatonga

1. shift+mic button to change to the ear, then be careful of what master effects (and metronome) your using, just record all playing tracks to a selected track

2. press the key while moving a knob to change a value on the master mixer or fx, ā€œmemorizeā€ will display, wait till itā€™s red. when it is, that new position of the knob has been saved to the corresponding M-key

but before overdubbing, copy the still separated tracks to another place on the tape

but before overdubbing, copy the still separated tracks to another place on the tape

I always record seperate tracks to album and then back to tape. How do you manage to play while recording?

@iriebeats am i getting you right? ā€“ Shift+CutTrackKey cuts all 4 tracks from the tape, then you can paste it back into the tape, and do so many times, so you can keep an unbounced version of it.

Itā€™s no doubt been mentioned before, but for ultimate portability, the Kingston MobileLite Wireless G2 works perfectly with the OP-1 and allows you to back up your OP-1 to an SD Card or your iPhone / iPad (share your mixes to SoundCloud immediately using the AudioShare app!) and also allows you to copy samples / patches back to the OP-1 from the SD Card.

Itā€™s a wicked little device that will now be accompanying my OP-1 everywhere!

Iā€™m not sure I wrote ā€œOP-1ā€ enough times in the above postā€¦ I trust youā€™ll get the gist of it :wink:

Want to connect a small USB midi keyboard to your OP-1 while on the go, but donā€™t want to spend big bucks on an OPLAB or iConnect?

An iPhone, Apple camera connection kit, passive USB Hub and the MidiBridge app works just fine.
1 Like

This one from Sathukrub:

earlier today i fiddled with my op-1 - especially the sketch sequencer since i barely used it- somehow i found out how to pitch bend apart from using shift and the arrow keys!

just go into the sketch page and while you hold a note on the keyboard move the orange knob to pitch bend. Not sure this has been mentioned before- I think its pretty cool!!

Hello and first post!

This thread has been so helpful getting a bit beyond the basics on the op-1. Thanks all for the contributions!
1 Like
It's no doubt been mentioned before, but for ultimate portability, the Kingston MobileLite Wireless G2 works perfectly with the OP-1 and allows you to back up your OP-1 to an SD Card or your iPhone / iPad (share your mixes to SoundCloud immediately using the AudioShare app!) and also allows you to copy samples / patches back to the OP-1 from the SD Card.

It's a wicked little device that will now be accompanying my OP-1 everywhere!

This sounds awesome if I understand correctly. I install an App on my smartphone to control the Kingston, right? I can then hook my OP-1 up to the Kingston and basically file manage between flash media in the Kingston and the OP-1? File copying? Renaming of snapshots, etc? This could be a gamechanger for me.

Not sure if this is anything or not, or if itā€™s maybe already common knowledge, but I was running the drum sampler with a sequence in endless mode, and realized I can sample into the patch somewhat live, with the sequencer changing over from the old samples to whatever I was feeding it AS it recordedā€¦ Was able to generate some interesting rhythmic material this way, and it felt like a sort of granular sampling technique, loosely adhering to the sequencers rhythmic settingsā€¦

1 Like

This looks amazing, @scy1e.

I have to try this !!