OP-1 Tips and Tricks

Woah. Killer.

and realized I can sample into the patch somewhat live, with the sequencer changing over from the old samples to whatever I was feeding it AS it recorded...

speaking of which, I just fed the sampler, sequencer running, back into itself via the ear. it sort-of beat-repeats. tried with both drum and the sampler, drum is more fun. glitchy and kind of random after a while, but the textures are great. Iā€™m guessing, since turning knobs isnt an option at that point, maybe midi lfo or accelerator could do it even crazier.

Yeah, I played with a few feedback scenarios, and ultimately it got pretty convoluted, thus my less than scientific reporting of the effects! Try just recording for a second or two, or lessā€¦ Depending on the material, you MIGHT end up with some rastor-noton-esque rhythmic clicks/cutsā€¦

Cool @scy1e, have to try this tonight. Thanks for sharing the tip!

I really like it when the user invent ways of using a device that was not imagined by the conceptor.
Hats off @scy1e

Nice find @scy1e

Thanks yall! Hope Ya put it to good use!

Oh, also, you can toggle between inputs as you do this, from line/mic, to radio, to earā€¦ If you want to retain some of your samples w the ear, but add via radio/micā€¦ Pretty messy stuff, maybe someone will figure out a way to use this less chaotically (I think that if you were sampling a rhythmic thing at the same tempo that your sequence is playing, you may get a bit more of a controlled soundā€¦ Have only been playin with semi-random noises so far stillā€¦)

It's no doubt been mentioned before, but for ultimate portability, the Kingston MobileLite Wireless G2 works perfectly with the OP-1 and allows you to back up your OP-1 to an SD Card or your iPhone / iPad (share your mixes to SoundCloud immediately using the AudioShare app!) and also allows you to copy samples / patches back to the OP-1 from the SD Card.

It's a wicked little device that will now be accompanying my OP-1 everywhere!

This sounds awesome if I understand correctly. I install an App on my smartphone to control the Kingston, right? I can then hook my OP-1 up to the Kingston and basically file manage between flash media in the Kingston and the OP-1? File copying? Renaming of snapshots, etc? This could be a gamechanger for me.

Hi @Ghostly606

Yep, youā€™ve got it right :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Bought the Kingston Wireless G2 and it works with the OP-1 beautifully! Thanks for the tip @MrJoshua.

If only it worked perfectly with the Octatrack.... Such a shame.

Bought the Kingston Wireless G2 and it works with the OP-1 beautifully!

Haha mine just got delivered! I was inspired by this thread as well. This is the thing that I've been needing, for several reasons, that I never even knew I needed.

Not sure if this is even possible, but has anyone figured out a way to import a drum kit .aif file with sample markers (probably not the right terminologyā€¦) so that the OP-1 can create a patch nearly ready to go instead of having to manually set the sample start and end points?

I know this is pretty tricky stuff since the OP-1 uses itā€™s own encoding in .aif files but perhaps someone figured something useful.

@cherrypulse, have you checked out the OP1 drum utility?

http://now.teenageengineering.com/post/47348903156/op-1-drum-utility

@Zzzach Wow, this is amazing, thanks a million. I donā€™t know why, I kept searching on Google for something like this and couldnā€™t find. Cheers

Has anyone actually used the drum utility with osx yosemite? I canā€™t get it to workā€¦

@joeyfivecents Iā€™m running Yosemity 10.10.4. No problem with Drum Utility. I got it from here https://www.xferrecords.com/freeware/index.html

@joeyfivecents I'm running Yosemity 10.10.4. No problem with Drum Utility. I got it from here https://www.xferrecords.com/freeware/index.html

How did you load your drum samples into it exactly?
What if a shot has a tail?

Iā€™ve got some kits on the web and they are good ā€¦but, sometimes I wonder about their precise nature.

I just drag short mono 16bit 44.1KHz was samples to the keys. Didnā€™t try with other formats. Never had any troubles.

Bought the Kingston Wireless G2 and it works with the OP-1 beautifully! Thanks for the tip @MrJoshua.

If only it worked perfectly with the Octatrack.... Such a shame.

is it possible to backup from the OP1 to an SD card that way ?!? That would be awesome !

Yep, I have an SD card in there all the time where I keep my OP-1 files. Connect, move / rename / copy files, disconnect, done. :slight_smile: