OP-1 Tips and Tricks

OK so the other day I did something really cool by mistake and I can’t remember how I did it!

I was in the drum sampler, and I pressed some buttons by mistake (probably some combination of shift/play/record/lift/drop…), then parts of my sample became what was on the track! So the sample ended up being bits of the original sample, with bits of what was on the tape…

Anyone knows what I’m talking about?

@vil You might have used the “drop” button (copy/paste one) and accidently paste hat was in the buffer in your drum sampler

@LyingDalai aaaah makes total sense! I didn’t even know you could do that… that sure opens up the possibilities! Thanks!

@LyingDalai actually that wasn’t it, because when I do that, all the keys of the drums become that dropped sample. What I meant is that some keys would have the dropped sample, and some others has the previous sample! I even thought it was some kind of bug… If not, that means you could have one keyboard full of different samples! And maybe that’s a normal function that I’m not aware of, so please enlighten me if you know how to have different samples on different keys!

OK now I know what happened… if you drop a sample that’s shorter than the previous one, then you’ll have both on the same keyboard… interesting!

Also, to sample from the radio, I discovered that you can record directly onto tape then cut the bit you want, lift and drop onto the sampler! Much more flexible, and no length limit to what you record! It makes it easier to edit the sample afterwards…

1 Like

Interesting : I really thought that when you dropped sound it was occupying the whole keyboard.
I have to try it + practice, cause I always struggled to do sample chains from within the OP-1, and this could be the solution.

:slight_smile:
Thx @vil !

You can hold a key down then hit drop to place the sample on a specific key @Cuckoo has a tutorial on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJwU8utM7iE&ab_channel=cuckoomusic.

Look around 21:22 and 22:24

This dude is crazy good. Hope this helps!

1-_-7
SB

3 Likes

Somehow I have missed it, thx Samurai-sensei for putting my nose on this :wink:

@Samurai1v_v7BLack oh wow, thanks!!

@iriebeats : thanks! :slight_smile: I really want to revisit the OP-101 blog since it was written in the first few months of OP-1 ownership, after a few years my opinion on things has changed and I’ve discovered a lot of new stuff (and also, I never got around to writing about the fx). Sadly I’ve been way too busy to even make music let alone write a nerdy blog :confused: But thanks for your kind words :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pressing shift on the track levels screen makes a left/right fader appear next to each track, you can then use the knobs to fade each track into the left or right channels. I’m a newb, so sorry if this is obvious!

1 Like
You can hold a key down then hit drop to place the sample on a specific key @Cuckoo has a tutorial on this.
A pity : I thought we were talking about copying some part of the tape and dropping it in the drum sampler specifically on the hold key.
This cannot be done unfortunately :(
A pity : I thought we were talking about copying some part of the tape and dropping it in the drum sampler specifically on the hold key.
This cannot be done unfortunately :(

Pity… If it helps I could sing you a lullaby?

3 Likes

8`D

<blockquote re Pity.. If it helps I could sing you a lullaby?

It’s time to say goodnight. Time to say goood night. No one who cares about…

Just a reminder about something I forgot nearly instantly after discovering.

Unlike other LFOs, tremolo goes far into the sonic range. In fact, it goes almost all the way through the sonic range. This can be useful when you already used up your effect slot, but still want to change the sound.

You need to use blue encoder and move it clock-wise until the modulation frequency dial is past the last marker. (Hold shift to fine-tune it. Doesn’t work on drums for some reason.) Depending on the strength of modulation it targets (i.e. the amount of pitch or amplitude change) this LFO can add a subtle texture to the sound, or make it growly or metallic, or just run an extra oscillator in the background (if only there was a way to lock that thing to the note you’re playing!).

Also, that LFO has an envelope, so you can make evolving sounds, or create noisy “kicks” for any synth.

Hola people,

I tried hard to see if this was covered, so ,sorry if its a dup…
While in Tape mode, shift+loop+arrow (L or R) set the looping section for the next loop to be played. handy to switch section of a song. only work when the tape is 'playing’
cheers
Found another way to do some fatter detuned sound or maybe supersaw style sounds. I think it don't have been mentioned in this thread (or i just missed it?).

First way mentioned here was to layer several detuned takes to the tape and then throw it to sampler. Can be created some good sounds that way, but you can't tweak parameters live at this case.

I've found another trick:
  1. Choose your synth engine. For good example demo i chosen cluster synth with all parameters tweaked to the left, no FX, no LFO.
  2. Make sure you are in POLY mode.
  3. Choose Sketch sequencer.
  4. Press "C" note on keyboard to be in tune.
  5. With blue encoder make straight horizontal line from left to right.
  6. Return cursor to beginning with the white encoder.
  7. Make just one click to the left with green encoder. The goal is to subtle change the pitch.
  8. Make another horizontal line from left to right.
  9. Return to beginning again with white knob.
  10. Make two clicks to the right with green encoder. I think you already got the idea.
  11. Make third line. You should see something like one fat horizontal line.
  12. With Shift + green set "/4" value. It will make note longer before it start to repeat.
  13. Switch to synth or tape mode and just play on keyboard. Yuippee!
With this method you lose sequencer and can't play very long notes as they start to repeat at the end of sequence, but you have free fx slot and can tweak synth live. With Nitro filter and Element LFO (source = envelope, dest = nitro cutoff frequency) you can do some fun bass sounds.

This is so awesome! Thanks :slight_smile:

My tip, especially to prospective buyers, is to completely forget about what it can’t do or how many features you’re going to beg TE for. Take it as it is.

@tralivallo Marvelous ! Thank you :slight_smile:
That’s the first time I’m trying the sketch sequencer