OP-1 Woes (Last Ditch Before RMA)

ya give it a try

heres that link in case u do get to the point of popping off that back plate.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Teenage+Engineering+OP-1+Connector+Board+Replacement/19125

hope ya get it back 100
Ordering a Jimmy just in case. That doesn't look too scary to do. Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.
I don't think this voids your warranty either. When I emailed TE about a similar problem they told me to pop off the plate and clean r out

Did you go through with it? If so, was it rather easy to get the little backplate off, and what did you use?

Havenā€™t gone through with it because I live with three cats and donā€™t really want to open my op about some dirt haha. I just started ignoring the random power offs

Edit: I just tried with a guitar pick, couldnā€™t get it off , pick seems too thick, but there is some give on the thinner sides of the rectangle. Seems relatively easy if u have the right jimmy

Haven't gone through with it because I live with three cats and don't really want to open my op about some dirt haha. I just started ignoring the random power offs

Edit: I just tried with a guitar pick, couldnā€™t get it off , pick seems too thick, but there is some give on the thinner sides of the rectangle. Seems relatively easy if u have the right jimmy

Thanks a lot for the info. Iā€™m feeling a little less freaked out by the idea of having to replace the board. Itā€™s pretty crazy that ifixit stocks it.

I found the OP-1 was only half charged again this morning, so I assume that itā€™s still got whatever issue itā€™s got. Iā€™ve got a jimmy coming in soon and will give the connector board a look to see if it needs replacing.

So worked up about this. Just want my little guy to be happy and healthy again. :slight_smile:

easy way to get the panel off is use a blob of blu tack/poster tack/tack it/fun tack - stick a blob in the middle and the panel pulls right off without any damage - then clicks right back on

1 Like
easy way to get the panel off is use a blob of blu tack/poster tack/tack it/fun tack - stick a blob in the middle and the panel pulls right off without any damage - then clicks right back on

this is an amazing idea, thank you.

Not having the switch issue, but I have a brand new op-1, running 218, that has crashed 6 times in the last 1 hour of use, but not once in the previous (first) 3 hours of use since I got it. Happens most frequently in tape or dna synth mode.

Not having the switch issue, but I have a brand new op-1, running 218, that has crashed 6 times in the last 1 hour of use, but not once in the previous (first) 3 hours of use since I got it. Happens most frequently in tape or dna synth mode.

I hate to say it, but I think the new OS is buggy as shit.

Many thanks to @<a href=ā€œhttps://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/100/docshermsticksā€ class=ā€œUsernameā€ style=ā€œfont-family: ā€œlucida grandeā€, ā€œLucida Sans Unicodeā€, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(1, 115, 198); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);ā€>docshermsticks @husker @iriebeats and anyone else who suggested the connector board as the issue. Swapping mine out seems to have solved my problem. Pretty dope!

Many thanks to @docshermsticks @husker @iriebeats and anyone else who suggested the connector board as the issue. Swapping mine out seems to have solved my problem. Pretty dope!

Great that you got it to work! I had some issues with my board (after dropping the OP-1 on the side when the line out was connected) and although scary at first, I opened it up and resoldered the broken connector. Worked, phew! Good thing to not have to send it in to TE for small things like this.

But actually, I recently had a similar problem like you describe above. Something bad happened after some time having swapping out beta firmwares, restoring backed up data etc. I was able to fix it by doing a factory reset. Did you try it?
Many thanks to @docshermsticks @husker @iriebeats and anyone else who suggested the connector board as the issue. Swapping mine out seems to have solved my problem. Pretty dope!

Great that you got it to work! I had some issues with my board (after dropping the OP-1 on the side when the line out was connected) and although scary at first, I opened it up and resoldered the broken connector. Worked, phew! Good thing to not have to send it in to TE for small things like this.

But actually, I recently had a similar problem like you describe above. Something bad happened after some time having swapping out beta firmwares, restoring backed up data etc. I was able to fix it by doing a factory reset. Did you try it?

I had tried multiple resets, battery drainsā€¦ the whole 9 yards. Nothing fixed it but replacing the connector board. I wish that I had remembered to try shooting some Deoxit into the old power switch and seeing if that fixed it, because Iā€™m 99% sure now the old switch had buildup or dirt that was maybe causing an internal short (if I had to guess). I may still give it a go at some point so I know for certain if my original connector board is bad or if I have a spare.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px}
Charging is recently erratic & the device no longer seems to properly hold a charge. The battery indicator when on (Help button) shows only 3 lit LEDs when the device is at "full charge". "Full charge" means that the device is plugged into a dependable power source & has completed the "charging animation". When attempting to charge the device I have to try plugging & unplugging, turning the device on & off, multiple times in different ways to get it to start charging, if it does at all.

Gone through the process of completely draining the battery twice in hopes of getting the battery & battery indicator to act normally again. No luck.
Furthermore, it's done some very strange things when plugged in & off. It's turned itself on, & in one case crashed after it turned itself on.

See images below. This was with the device plugged into USB power & turned *off* (see position of power switch in full shot of OP-1).
I've followed every step in the list of things TE suggested & it's still behaving erratically.

I'm also not able to get the thing to stick to a set of malfunctions. Before it wouldn't charge at all & was draining overnight when off. Now it seems to be charging, but the battery indicator is still messed up.

Hi, @jjbbllkk
The same thing happened to me.

Furthermore, when I use op-1 for a while, the knob stops responding.(It usually happens after returning from disk mode.)

Did you have any luck fixing the issue(s) yourself?

i have posted about this a few weeks agoā€¦i went through 4 BRAND NEW op1s with the knob problem out of the boxā€¦all 4 i returned as faultyā€¦i sent an email with a video attached to TEā€¦their reply was that they had never heard of that problem before and that yes IT WAS FAULTY AND SHOULD BE REPLACEDā€¦when i said that the problem was with 4 brand new ones they just didnt reply ti thatā€¦they offered to send me one with 20% discountā€¦i replied ā€¦yes okā€¦then they just disappeared and i never got an answer the 4,5 times i sent emailsā€¦

Did you ever hear back again?

Are you I Sweden, or away from there?

My unit is only 6 months old. Purchased brand new, but has a similar problem, except the screen goes all Cray Crayā€¦ TE just sent me the battery recalibration info. It sounds like itā€™s either the connector board or the batteryā€¦ If I had to guessā€¦ I donā€™t feel like I should have to slring for a new connector board or battery and go through all that shizz when Iā€™m under warranty right?

Sorry for all the talking in the background, haha. Just life happening while all that matter to me is healing my OP1 :slight_smile:

Hmmā€¦ Vid didnā€™t workā€¦ Lemme try again.

Nope. Ok time to YouTube itā€¦ Standby

ā€¦

https://youtu.be/cpbGBapn-9U huzzah

https://youtu.be/cpbGBapn-9U huzzah

Wowā€¦ thatā€™s is absolutely bizarre.

Seems like a faulty display to meā€¦

Seems like a faulty display to me...

My inkling is that itā€™s not simply the display because I get about 30 minutes of normal functionality (if Iā€™m lucky, but less and less) before the screen goes like that until it just stays a grainy patternā€¦ Sometimes the sound works with the screen in grain mode, other times notā€¦ It first did it about 1-2 months after purchase brand new in box.

Did you ever hear back again?

Are you I Sweden, or away from there?

My unit is only 6 months old. Purchased brand new, but has a similar problem, except the screen goes all Cray Crayā€¦ TE just sent me the battery recalibration info. It sounds like itā€™s either the connector board or the batteryā€¦ If I had to guessā€¦ I donā€™t feel like I should have to slring for a new connector board or battery and go through all that shizz when Iā€™m under warranty right?

Sorry for all the talking in the background, haha. Just life happening while all that matter to me is healing my OP1 :slight_smile:

hi

i did receive emails from TE admitting it was an unacceptable problem,ā€¦i didnā€™t have the display problem you haveā€¦
sorry to askā€¦but im trying to understand people in this forum and why they willingly accept so many problems the op 1 has / when it has them/ā€¦and basically just accept itā€¦you say the screen problem begun 2 months after you bought itā€¦why did you keep it like that for 4 months and did not send it back demanding an answer??..i returned all 4 of the op 1s i had as soon as the problem appearedā€¦from a synth that costs 940 euros i DEMAND that it works properly out of the boxā€¦a lot of people seem to have a different opinionā€¦

@stepanok yeah, good questions. I agreeā€¦ you would think they would be more forthcoming with warranty issues. However, I have heard from a lot of people that they have had really good experiences with replacement.

Did they end up fixing your problems? Did you get the 20% off for replacement unit?