Op-1f observations, likes and dislikes

Which is how the stereo engine would be rendering a mono sample, right?

Posted this in the AudioBus forum, but thought it would be good here too.

I’ve been using an OP-1 F for a few days and it’s pretty great.

Much nicer build than the (already great) OG. Feels like an Apple product. The iPhone 5, specifically.

The speaker is incredible. Totally good enough to use most of the time. i prefer it to headphones.

New Mother reverb also good, with some dialing in. And the original FX are also sometimes better. CWO is actually useful now (it’s a harmonically pitched delay, apparently, not just a weird robot machine).

New midi features are solid. Works amazingly well over Bluetooth LE MIDI with the OP-Z. I’ve been using the Z to sequence OP-1 synths and drums, and record them to the tape. You can even map the four encoders of the OP-Z to parameters on the OP-1 for p-locks. Could do with separate channels for midi in and out though.

Screen is much better. Not OLED, but nicer, and easier to see which tape track you’re using. Also viewable outdoors, even at default 100% brightness (it goes up to 120% I think).

USB audio interface ability—spotty. Sees my Roland R-07 as a source (stereo mics!), but not my K-Mix.

Despite being billed as a 32-bit device, it seems like that’s just the tape, and perhaps the internal processing. Samples are still 44.1KHz 16-bit, although stereo. You can load 44.1KHz 24-bit samples and they work fine, but internally-recorded samples are 16-bit only. They sound great though.

Stereo is amazing. Makes a huge difference. Although some FX are still mono. The delay, for example. A friend suggested that maybe there is a new stereo delay in the works, like the Mother reverb.

All in all, this thing is fantastic. I’ve had some crashes (still feels like a beta in some places), but this fulfills the promise of the original. Stereo, midi-synced four-track recording, nice keyboard, great IO, literal day-long battery, and the easiest sampler I’ve ever used.

4 Likes

phew!!

1 Like

A ping pong delay would be awesome indeed.

4 Likes

not sure if i mentioned this here already but if you want to quickly audition how different tape styles will alter a sound without actually recording it, start a sequencer and set it to hold, then load a tape and press the record button to audition it.

also…

theres a lot to like about the field, but the disc mini isn’t one

it sounds like absolute crap imo and i’m surprised it made it into the final product. i listened to it closely with headphones today and 128 mp3 was far too generous. its more like a 32k mp3 or like an ancient RealAudio format. personally i think its unusable unless you use sounds with no high end.

when the field was announced i had hoped the disc mini would just add some subtle digital grit, but it doesn’t do anything like that. it just seems to smear any high end into a bunch of glassy artifacts.

edit i’ll try to post some audio examples in the next few days. words can’t describe how crap this tape is

2 Likes

Do you guys also experience quite a lot of noise and hiss with certain synth sounds? I have to turn the volume way down with some frequencies to avoid that. I never had these problems with the OG… :thinking:

i haven’t noticed any noise or hiss but the volume/headphone output is a lot louder than the og. i think this was mentioned as a new feature — automatic headphone impedance or something.

it is much much louder though… when i’m using headphones (sony 7506, te m1, aiaia tma2) i have to set the volume very low otherwise its way too loud. ← not a bad thing, its just noticeably much louder.

perhaps your headphones aren’t playing nicely?

do you get the noise/hiss when using usb audio? or into a daw?

1 Like

Are you on the latest firmware?

My suspicion is that we have to find the right sounds for Disk Mini. I felt the same way with the OG - like, Nitro is strange as a standard dual band filter until you dial it in and get those VROOM VROOM sounds, then you have that “ah ha, that’s why it’s called Nitro” moment.

2 Likes

I used the minidisk when I worked up this little song.
I think it turned out well and worked for the song.
But something like this is 100% subjective.

Yes, I am. And surprisingly, I don’t find the field is much louder than the old one. Maybe I’m getting deaf though. :joy:

I should try a factory reset once I have back upped my projects. Thanks for the replies!

1 Like

When i was in the store choosing between them, the speaker was the biggest reason i picked the field.
I can understand now after just owning it for just two days why other people are apprehensive about buying one or say other equipment is cheaper and better. It’s just a totally different work flow. Gonna do my first performance using the field next week. Hopefully i get someone to film it as this thing almost plays itself. its ease of use over ease of precision a DAW gives you, that’s what i feel anyway.

+1. I loved the original, but the poor sound quality meant I would end up recreating everything in the DAW. This one sounds amazing. The speaker is so good I prefer it over headphones.

2 Likes

The OP-1 Field is several factors louder than the OP-1… with just a pair of headphones connected it feels like the OP-1 struggles to get enough sound out of it at times, while I’m usually dropping the OP-1 Field volume to 25% or lower because it is so dang loud. Maybe it’s just setting differences I have adjusted between the two, but even with nothing interesting set on the mixer… the Field just seems to have way way way more oomph on the outputs to me.

I agree. I usually only have it set to 12 o’clock/50% volume when connected to the mixer.

yes if you turn the volume knob up more than a smidgen, it blasts your ears off

Is there a way to have the mixer settings be saved per track? It is so annoying blowing out my ears when I hop between tracks :sob:

Love that they added this in the newest update :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

3 Likes

just following up on this bug and a workaround i found…

copying synth snapshots from the og op1 to the field seems to work perfectly. i haven’t noticed any problems.

as far as drum snapshots… if you copy a drum snapshot from the og op1 to the field, the field still does not play the snapshots correctly.

i found a workaround though.

if you load an og drum snapshot into the first slot of the og op1 drum utility, the drum utility will load the snapshot correctly as an op-1 import with the snapshot’s markers spread across the keys correctly, etc.

then just resave it as a new export and copy it to the field, and your og op-1 patch will playback perfectly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems to work just fine to me. Maybe worth making a bug report to support? It seems like something that should work.