OP-Z Audio Through? Using another synth with OP-Z without needing a mixer?

Hi there, I’ve recently got an Elektron Model Cycles and I’ve been enjoying playing with it and the OP-Z at the same time. I’d like to be able to do this without also needing to carry a mixer and it seems the OP-Z can do audio-through?:

https://teenage.engineering/guides/op-z/input-selection

Is anyone here doing this? Does it work well? I’m guessing I’ll need some sort of double socket 3.5mm cable. Would I need to use something to convert the Elektron’s line level to mic level?

Cheers.

I guess the easiest/safest way to tame a line level input is using an iRig 2 as an external input device with the OP-Z.
I myself am using a simple TRRS-splitter cable with devices that have their own volume control, but it is not recommended.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Does it work well for you, generally?

For me it works quite well, but I don’t use it too often.
A nice addition would be a possibility of panning the incoming signal or have more possibilities of integrating it to the mix in general.

2 Likes

would love to see the ability to host Class compliant USB Audio Interfaces…basically to realize something like this:

1 Like

@Othytim This works definetely. I sequence a behringer model d and a microfreak with the opz. The synth output have their own volume control but still go into a little mono line mixer (behringer mx400, 20€). From there I get a mono line signal which runs into a trrs splitter cabel connected to the line out of the opz.

1 Like

Thank you for that info, that little mixer is a welcome discovery!
Would you be kind and show which trrs splitter you use? The mixer alone opens up for sampling layered signals at once with OP-Z and 1 :star_struck:

1 Like

Sure, I use
https://www.voelkner.de/products/2327007/SpeaKa-Professional-Klinke-Audio-Y-Adapter-1x-Klinkenstecker-3.5mm-2x-Klinkenbuchse-3.5-mm-Schwarz.html

1 Like

turned out that I’ve got one of those, and one of the cables from the elektron audio/cv kit to connect the mixer to the splitter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Man I have that same interface. It’s not so hot on the ipad but I got it for $24 on Amazon lol

1 Like

I use the audio through in a couple of ways:

1. I’ve used the audio through to watch tutorials on my computer while also working along with my OP-Z. This works over USB!

2. I also connect my iPhone directly to my OP-Z. Press SCREEN+3 to listen to your iPhone over USB.

3. All your other non-USB devices can come in to the OP-Z with an iRig 2. Then you press SCREEN+1 or SCREEN+2 (I always forget) to monitor.

2 Likes

Screen+2 doesn’t work on my OP-Z. The option isn’t available. The 1 button is lit (and pressing it I can toggle on/off the internal mic), but the 2 button is not lit and nothing happens when I press Screen+2. I’m wondering if the splitter cable I got is any good.
Please can someone check their OP-Z and let me know if they can make the 2 button light without a splitter cable plugged in? I’m wondering if its the splitter cable I got or a problem with my op-z, as that 2 option just isn’t available at all for me.

it’s the spiltter cable! when you got the right part (irig 2) for instance, nr 2 will light up.

without anything attached there’s no option to select em, same with USB audio

1 Like

Thanks, the splitter cable I got was about £2 so no surprise really! I know there’s some splitter recommendations on this forum, so I’ll look into it properly later. Cheers.

I use the trrs Y cable and the Tascam iXZ

The first is not officially ‘approved’ but works just fine…second is cool too.

1 Like

This continues to drive me nuts. A plain mic/phones splitter works, but only sometimes. It cuts out, seemingly in time with the music. Could it be reacting to an incoming audio signal?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a tricky one with a splitter. I’ve noticed that sometimes if the incoming signal is a bit too loud then it shuts off. This happens especially with a loud beat, so I can see why it seems to happen in time with the music. You have to keep that incoming audio turned down a bit more than you’d like. Also I find that I have to turn the OP-Z on before I turn on the other device, otherwise the option just isn’t there.

Thanks. Keeping it turned down certainly helps. I’m using this trick so I can hear the OP-1 and OP-Z together with just one set of headphones and without a mixer — OP-1 into OP-Z, listen via splitter.

It works pretty well, in an emergency. Too quiet though.

NO DOT use a straight splitter cable as the audio in is designed for powering an external headset mic and putting in an amplified source is very risky even if it has a volume control!
The iRig 2 is designed for changing the level/impedance for line level signals, has no hiss and means you can run in hot signals without fear of overloading the OP-Z input.
You can also run external in into the FX but as far as I know its only an on/off affair although a YT vid claims there’s some send when you hold down a top function button I’m so I’m not sure is this was changed in an update. I wish they would sort this out as I’d like to have an FX send rather than on/off.

I’ve dusted off a little Roland Go mixer to use instead, when I’m just listening to two devices at once (OP-Z and whatever else).

If I wan to sample, or send audio through the OP-Z’s tape track for remixing, I just use the usb instead.

It’s not as neat, and there are more cables, but it’s 100% predictable, which is worth a lot.