OP-Z bending still an issue?

i think because op-z is ultra portable, its being subjected to more unusual environments. gear like akai or polyend, always stay on a table. but thing like op-z can wind up in the bathroom, kitchen, beach, car…

lol pizza sauce
will now use pizza sauce as generic replacement term for all things goopy, liquidy or debris

1 Like

I’ve seen a little video where someone just presses all the note keys and a couple double trig.

Other than that it’s not that easy to document because something like what @JRJulius describes above involves almost imperceptible (to the eye) changes in finger pressure. I briefly tried but quickly realised I need a) something or someone to hold the phone / camera lol, and b) if it’s a key that doesn’t make a sound (e.g. the shift key) you have to get the focus and exposure settings quite precise or maybe use a better camera than the one on my phone to actually capture what’s happening with the lights. Anyway it isn’t a simple point and shoot thing.

Seems reasonable to me.

2 Likes

I used to have double triggers with my first unit (very first batch with misprints), did not have a bend. Made a video for the company where I bought it to get a replacement about a year ago. Here the video in dutch for curious people:

Double triggers

The replacement has (for now) no problems with double triggers and bends.

Hi. I’m new here, but have been lurking for a while. I thought I’d add that Free Beat has talked about the issue, and documents it in a few videos on his YouTube channel. His “last straw” episode is here:

OP-Z Retired? Double Triggers are Getting Worse - YouTube

There’s a spirited discussion about it in the comments, as well as a number of suppositions as to the source of the problem and possible solutions. I do know from many years in electronics-related business in my “real” life, that historically, the style of buttons used are notorious for mechanical failures that lead to either complete malfunction or erratic behavior. However, I also know that the erratic behavior can also usually be compensated for by either including a “de-bounce” circuit or by inserting code in the firmware to evaluate the switch action and handle the de-bounce in software.

My opinion, based on experience in other manufacturing projects I’ve worked on, is that the warping doesn’t help the situation. Someone, somewhere, mentioned the idea of providing more support across the full length of the OP-Z, and while I think that may help, there also needs to be some stiffening added.

I’ve not pulled the trigger on an OP-Z, yet, but am still seriously considering it – I like what I see of the workflow and features, especially at the price. But, I am just a little trigger shy, wondering just how prevalent these issues are, really? It’s hard to say. I’m sure that there are many, many more happy OP-Z owners than there are unhappy owners, as unhappy people are usually much more vocal than happy people.

Anyway, just my thoughts and opinions – your mileage may vary.

2 Likes

Thank you for recommending D5! Finally bought some and found the time to use it on my OP-Z. And (for now) the double trigs are completely gone. Wow!
Didn’t have such a smooth feeling of playing the OP-Z for a loooong time. Since that has been the only issue for me, I‘m a 100% happy owner once again :sweat_smile: Cheers!

2 Likes