OP-Z Bugs

I’ve seen certain sounds drop out depending on how loud the tracks are mixed along with the master compressor,
and effects. It takes a while to figure out sometimes. Using the app helps to see what could be wrong.

OP-Z paired to the app, but not recognized by the app.

1. Open OPZ app
  2. Turn on OPZ
  3. hit “SCAN”
  4. Press the button on the bottom of the OPZ
  5. The Ipad correctly discovers OPZ, and Connects to it
  6. OPZ image appears on the “Devices” tab inside the app, along with the S/N and FW #s
  7. If I navigate to any other Tab (MIDI, Motion, photomatic, etc) it says “No Connection” and displays a button to return to the Devices tab
  8. When I return to the devices tab, my OPZ is still there.
  9. Pull my hair out
  10. post to forum

@kriller said:
OP-Z paired to the app, but not recognized by the app.

1. Open OPZ app
  2. Turn on OPZ
  3. hit “SCAN”
  4. Press the button on the bottom of the OPZ
  5. The Ipad correctly discovers OPZ, and Connects to it
  6. OPZ image appears on the “Devices” tab inside the app, along with the S/N and FW #s
  7. If I navigate to any other Tab (MIDI, Motion, photomatic, etc) it says “No Connection” and displays a button to return to the Devices tab
  8. When I return to the devices tab, my OPZ is still there.
  9. Pull my hair out
  10. post to forum

Factory resetting the OP-Z did the trick!

Had two bugs happen.

• volume drop, then after 2-3 minutes volume restored.
• perc track not sequence able, I can play them with the key, but once I entered them into a sequence they did not make any sound. (Problem disappeared after a while)

I’ve been having some function issues with button combos, mainly the shift button, where I’m holding down shift then all of a sudden op-z acts like shift isn’t being held at all. Say for example, I want to add a few step components. I hold shift then select the trigs I want to effect but if shift stops working then selecting trigs now removes the trig. Hoping it’s faulty firmware related but not 100% certain. (I did a factory reset when I first got the unit but haven’t since)

Another random bug ~ An orange microphone LED… (not green or red)

Anybody else experience these types of behaviors?

Cheers

1 Like

Polyphonic recording issue when track length resolution is increased.

Appears that the higher the resolution of a track, the more random the chance is that it will record all the notes you play in and where on the grid it will place the notes (regardless of note length and quantise settings)

For reference, I have the bar length set to 8 (so 128 steps) and am playing on chord track. I’m trying to play in 2 notes at a time for every step of the pattern (like filling every step on the endless seq on op1). The results are hit and miss, and it is improved when only using 16 steps. Looks like 64 steps is about useable, but 128 is basically useless if wanting to play precisely.

Also notice that sometime the first step only plays 1 note instead of the full chord

backlit_keys : keeps the led’s on all the keys except the 16 sequencing keys which operate as normal.
disable_microphone_mode : stops tipping the unit from activating the mic
disable_start_sound : disables the startup noise
disable_track_previews : disables the sample note that is played when you select whatever track.

check this if you’re searching for “glow in the dark paint” or wanna get rid of the preview when switching tracks. nice TE

@Domatron said:

Appears that the higher the resolution of a track, the more random the chance is that it will record all the notes you play in and where on the grid it will place the notes (regardless of note length and quantise settings)

For reference, I have the bar length set to 8 (so 128 steps) and am playing on chord track. I’m trying to play in 2 notes at a time for every step of the pattern (like filling every step on the endless seq on op1). The results are hit and miss, and it is improved when only using 16 steps. Looks like 64 steps is about useable, but 128 is basically useless if wanting to play precisely.

Also notice that sometime the first step only plays 1 note instead of the full chord

Check and see if your track quantisation is on by holding the track button down and using the yellow encoder. Counter clockwise takes the quantization out and may resolve your issue. Also try holding the trig steps and pressing the + - buttons to nudge when your chords start. If the first step is nudged to the left, a purple led will flash on step 16 and the notes will not be played on the initial pass.

@Domatron said:

Same here. But I had this with a midi controller, not by playing on the OP-Z keyboard. It this the case for you ? I remember it worked for 2 bars recording but not 4.

@JohnnyEgo said:
backlit_keys : keeps the led’s on all the keys except the 16 sequencing keys which operate as normal.

Lights on and off realy needs to be accessible from the OP-Z without a computer/screen…how about screen button then the light button!

@Lymtronics said:

Check and see if your track quantisation is on by holding the track button down and using the yellow encoder. Counter clockwise takes the quantization out and may resolve your issue. Also try holding the trig steps and pressing the + - buttons to nudge when your chords start. If the first step is nudged to the left, a purple led will flash on step 16 and the notes will not be played on the initial pass.

Played around with quantisation after notes recorded in and and then also tried recording with quant on, and quant off etc but similar and seemingly random outcomes. Will deffo try the nudging though, although for the 2nd and 3rd and 4th trigs between each of the 16 physical trigs I don’t know if this can be done as there is no UI for these.

Am used to recording into midi sequencers for playback but this one seems a bit odd.

@jazzmess said:

Same here. But I had this with a midi controller, not by playing on the OP-Z keyboard. It this the case for you ? I remember it worked for 2 bars recording but not 4.

Seems the same with both ext keyboard controlling (in my case I tried prophet 6, mopho x4 and finally an x-key 25 controller) and on the oPz keyboard itself.

Bit of a bummer as I bought this as a melody making machine for long chord progressions, but I’m sure I’ll either find a workaround or hopefully will get improved in an update.

@Domatron said:

@Lymtronics said:

Played around with quantisation after notes recorded in and and then also tried recording with quant on, and quant off etc but similar and seemingly random outcomes. Will deffo try the nudging though, although for the 2nd and 3rd and 4th trigs between each of the 16 physical trigs I don’t know if this can be done as there is no UI for these.

Am used to recording into midi sequencers for playback but this one seems a bit odd.

@jazzmess said:

Seems the same with both ext keyboard controlling (in my case I tried prophet 6, mopho x4 and finally an x-key 25 controller) and on the oPz keyboard itself.

Bit of a bummer as I bought this as a melody making machine for long chord progressions, but I’m sure I’ll either find a workaround or hopefully will get improved in an update.

Does it work to apply the transposition track only to the chords?

Motion is a lot of fun, just button mashing gets interesting results. But straight sequencing seems problematic for me. Seems when I key a value for something, say the “Dark Mode” on Z-Land, it doesn’t stay solid through the track, even if I extend the note length all the way across the track. Parameter values seem to flicker, and not trigger reliably. Probably user error but just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OPZuser/comments/9shw9l/fun_with_samples/

Small fix to be made here with sample start and stop points. On that point it’d be amazing ti be able to modules sample start / stop with LFO.

New firmware on TE site. Will update tonight :wink:
Burden bonus !!!

The changes sound promising:

• reduced cpu consumption, improves battery life by 5-10%

fixed bugs:

• occasional hang when removing a connected usb device
  • occasional craash when recieving midi identity request on startup
  • sequencer stalling when connecting a usb device
  • configurator sometimes causing pops in downloaded samples
  • imported sample packs to slot 10 lost after reboot
  • outgoing program change had inverted “alt_program_change” setting
  • app->synth connection lost when disabling midi out under midi settings
  • sequencer sometimes starting on last step when step by step recording
    https://teenageengineering.com/downloads/op-z

app->synth connection lost when disabling midi out under midi settings

Still getting this bug…

@boomerjackson said:
app->synth connection lost when disabling midi out under midi settings

Still getting this bug…

did you get the app updated as well?

Nope, I’ll try

Is the Master track supposed to work with Mute groups? I would expect to have its effects drop out when placed in a mute group but they’re still there regardless.