OP-Z Bugs

@sketcherazzi I thought master mute worked similar to tape mute but I just checked and it doesn’t. Could be a bug.

I just did the update my op-z in the app says 1.1.1 now instead of 1.1.9. Guess that’s correct cool that battery life has increased :slight_smile:

@Domatron said:

@Lymtronics said:

Check and see if your track quantisation is on by holding the track button down and using the yellow encoder. Counter clockwise takes the quantization out and may resolve your issue. Also try holding the trig steps and pressing the + - buttons to nudge when your chords start. If the first step is nudged to the left, a purple led will flash on step 16 and the notes will not be played on the initial pass.

Played around with quantisation after notes recorded in and and then also tried recording with quant on, and quant off etc but similar and seemingly random outcomes. Will deffo try the nudging though, although for the 2nd and 3rd and 4th trigs between each of the 16 physical trigs I don’t know if this can be done as there is no UI for these.

Am used to recording into midi sequencers for playback but this one seems a bit odd.

@jazzmess said:

Same here. But I had this with a midi controller, not by playing on the OP-Z keyboard. It this the case for you ? I remember it worked for 2 bars recording but not 4.

Seems the same with both ext keyboard controlling (in my case I tried prophet 6, mopho x4 and finally an x-key 25 controller) and on the oPz keyboard itself.

Bit of a bummer as I bought this as a melody making machine for long chord progressions, but I’m sure I’ll either find a workaround or hopefully will get improved in an update.

So the update didn’t fix this. Well finger drumming isn’t possible this way for the moment with more than 1 bar. Hope they this fix this quickly.

So the update didn’t fix this. Well finger drumming isn’t possible this way for the moment with more than 1 bar. Hope they this fix this quickly.

Unfortunately not. Still really liking it as a device though, but was hoping it would be able to record at the higher resolution for 8 bars - I’m sure it will eventually be fixed.

I write mostly 8 bar long sequences in my songs. I’m an early DSI Tempest adopter and to begin with it was limited to 4 bars, so I’m used to the work arounds on. Seems like really the OP-Z can only sensibly handle high resolution note entry for 4 bar tracks and not 8.

Or I could just get a deluge and have one simple sequencer to rule them all. But for now I’m staying hopeful that the OP-Z will be updated and cared for by TE for years to come.

Has it been mentioned yet?

So when you press and hold shift by any of the audio tracks you can change parameter values as punch-in effects. If you do thi on the master page, the fx1/2 send wheels work strangely. If you trun fx2 send in any direction it will also increase the fx1 value. And if you want to lower the fx1 send you have to turn it much more than otherwise. OS: 1.1.12

@Domatron said:

Unfortunately not. Still really liking it as a device though, but was hoping it would be able to record at the higher resolution for 8 bars - I’m sure it will eventually be fixed.

I write mostly 8 bar long sequences in my songs. I’m an early DSI Tempest adopter and to begin with it was limited to 4 bars, so I’m used to the work arounds on. Seems like really the OP-Z can only sensibly handle high resolution note entry for 4 bar tracks and not 8.

Or I could just get a deluge and have one simple sequencer to rule them all. But for now I’m staying hopeful that the OP-Z will be updated and cared for by TE for years to come.
Same here :frowning:
Even 2 bars gives bad results.

Yep, trying various workarounds but it’s not ideal. Hope TE can fix soon. My trusty old MPC1000 does a much better job and that thing is like 14 years old now! Just want to be able to record in live, and have the sequencer play back what I recorded with ability to quantise it.

I already posted this in the firmware update thread but it also can hurt here:

I installed the new firmware (1.1.12), no issues. Then I transferred some sample packs onto the device and ejected it from my computer. Normally, when I pulled the USB cable, the green leds disappeared and the op-z updated the new files. Now, when I pull the cable, nothing happens and the leds stay green, as if I were still in content mode. I did a factory reset, but that didn’t fix the issue. Any ideas?

@Domatron said:
for now I’m staying hopeful that the OP-Z will be updated and cared for by TE for years to come.

OP - Z seems pretty messy at the moment not to say useless as a sequencer,

how long will TE manage to debug it until they just drop it ?

Until now they had the OP-Z as an excuse, now that it is out, I hope the bug follow up will be better !

Not sure if bug or intended behaviour but I notice that when I disable auto save, if I power the unit if off, auto save is again enabled.

Would be nice for this to be toggled on/off after powering off and switching back on again

@Domatron said:
Not sure if bug or intended behaviour but I notice that when I disable auto save, if I power the unit if off, auto save is again enabled.

Would be nice for this to be toggled on/off after powering off and switching back on again

This is expected behaviour. If you want to start in manual save mode you can hold “Project” while turning the OP-Z on.

the OP-Z works so damn flawless for me…no crashes,mostly user cases and even on longer tracks it’s stable with sound,Tuning and midi!
paired with OP-1 it’s like the big daddy is even shining more but OP-Z got everything that a OP-1 user needed over the time!
iam so happy and don‘t regret to be Elektron free (as I thought they do the best sequencer on their machines) imagine the Midi I/O from OP-Z in any Elektron machine…that would never happen…

Motion track seems to link automatically to tape for me; anyone else notice that? Would be nice to allow the tape to ignore motion as it can for the drum and synth tracks.

Check Midi channels, Midi Echo and the way you can link Tracks because a track can be slave/master or both like bass trigs motion / motion trigs lead and so on

@jazzmess said:

@Domatron said:

i played around w/ this a bit yesterday. it seems to me that there is some confusion here.
slowing down the playback speed of a track to 2 bars, 4, 8 whatever doesn’t give you more steps.
so like making a track play over 4 bars doesn’t give u 64 steps of 1/16th notes like u might be assuming.

it still gives u 16 steps over that 4 bars, but since each step can be offset +/- over 24 micro steps, u can get steps in-between. but i don’t think that 1 step can hold more than 1 note at different micro steps.

this is similar to how nanoloop sequencer works.

this would explain why u are getting seemingly intermittent recordings
it prolly gets worse as u increase the bars/slow down the playback
especially if u are playing a busy pattern

OK i get it thanks doc, that look plausible ! I hop they will increase the resolution of the bars, because it sucks right now. L
So fingerdrumming the op-1 drumkits and laying down a 2 bar hiphop loop is impossible on the opz for the moment, as I had hoped :frowning:

@docshermsticks said:

@jazzmess said:

@Domatron said:

i played around w/ this a bit yesterday. it seems to me that there is some confusion here.
slowing down the playback speed of a track to 2 bars, 4, 8 whatever doesn’t give you more steps.
so like making a track play over 4 bars doesn’t give u 64 steps of 1/16th notes like u might be assuming.

it still gives u 16 steps over that 4 bars, but since each step can be offset +/- over 24 micro steps, u can get steps in-between. but i don’t think that 1 step can hold more than 1 note at different micro steps.

this is similar to how nanoloop sequencer works.

this would explain why u are getting seemingly intermittent recordings
it prolly gets worse as u increase the bars/slow down the playback
especially if u are playing a busy pattern

Sounds like a crucial distinction.

what i’ve been doing is just making a pattern chain of 4-8 patterns or whatever of 1 bar each
and then just jamming on that.

anyway i sent them a support ticket to know more about this issue. As always, the specs are blur and this 4-bar extension tricks is just a workaround, not a real feature :frowning:

just use the pattern chain to get more bars mang thats what its there for

the playback speed is for different things like longer chord progressions etc etc