OP-Z Bugs

@docshermsticks “i don’t think that 1 step can hold more than 1 note at different micro steps”

^ You mean that for the tracks that are monophonic, right?

@docshermsticks said:
just use the pattern chain to get more bars mang thats what its there for

the playback speed is for different things like longer chord progressions etc etc
Yeah like on the POs

@punji said:
@docshermsticks “i don’t think that 1 step can hold more than 1 note at different micro steps”

^ You mean that for the tracks that are monophonic, right?

Nope the drum tracks are claimed to have 2 voices of polyphony

@punji yea u r right that each track can hold more than one per step
like drum tracks can have 2 notes per step, etc etc

my point was that i haven’t figured out how to have those 2 notes have DIFFERENT offsets from each other.
or how to program that in if its possible.
i’m not 100% sure how the sequencer handles these situations when u tap them in live,
but i wasn’t really seeing 2 notes 1 step each w/ their own offset in my experiments

My unit crashes at least once every session. It just goes dead and I have to switch it off and back on again. I always appear to have plenty of charge, so I’m not sure what’s up with it. Is anyone else suffering from fairly regular crashes? I’m going to get in touch with TE as it’s possible I have a faulty unit.

I also have one project where all the tracks bar the Lead have sequences running just fine, but when I play or sequence on the Lead track the Chord track drops out randomly here and there. It’s like I’m reaching some sort of global polyphony limit, but it’s not like the project is particularly dense with notes and the Bass, Arp, and Lead are all set to mono, and the beat is pretty sparse. I have plenty of projects that are more complex but don’t do this, so I’m at a loss as to why this one does it.

Overall I’m really enjoying the machine in spite of the issues I’m having (a testament to how fun and enticing TE make their instruments). But it if feels a little flaky at times and I definitely won’t trust it for a live set until it’s had a few rounds of bug fixes.

Have you tried factory resetting the unit? I had more issues with mine out of the box before a reset.

@Lymtronics said:
Have you tried factory resetting the unit? I had more issues with mine out of the box before a reset.

Thanks for the tip. Just done the reset so hopefully it will fix my issues.

Unfortunately it didn’t help. It’s just crashed half a dozen times in the last half hour, each time while doing something different to the last time. Oh well, I guess it’s time to contact TE.

@docshermsticks said:

my point was that i haven’t figured out how to have those 2 notes have DIFFERENT offsets from each other.
or how to program that in if its possible.

if you want to layer drums parts on the same track with its 2 polyphony you can’t have 2 different micro timing offset ?
ex: a snare and a clap / snap / rimshot etc. ?

@docshermsticks said:
i played around w/ this a bit yesterday. it seems to me that there is some confusion here.
slowing down the playback speed of a track to 2 bars, 4, 8 whatever doesn’t give you more steps.
so like making a track play over 4 bars doesn’t give u 64 steps of 1/16th notes like u might be assuming.

it still gives u 16 steps over that 4 bars, but since each step can be offset +/- over 24 micro steps, u can get steps in-between. but i don’t think that 1 step can hold more than 1 note at different micro steps.

wait, I tried this now and I definitely managed to record more than 16 notes in a bar that was playing at 1/4 speed… at least it is this way on the synth tracks; I doubt it’d be any different on the drum tracks though?

the plot thickens…

what synth track r u using? lead has 3 voice polyphony and chord has 4
bass and arp has 1
drum has 2

assuming u are live recording things in?

just messing around w/ it some more myself.

def seems like live recording allows you to have more than one note per step w/ different offsets.
but i think i was mostly right w/ what i originally said about it.
its not giving u 64 steps just b/c u set it to playback over 4 bars.

drum tracks seems to max out at 2 notes per step when i live record.
when i try to add more it just overwrites one or both of the original steps.

when i do synth tracks, i can get 3 notes max on bass and lead.
(seems like even tho bass is monophonic, still has 3 “voices”)
i can get 4 on chord. didn’t try arp.

seems like synth tracks (even bass track) is more responsive than drum tracks. due to the extra polyphony.

Yeah perhaps it has something to do with the polyphony architecture. I’ll have to play around with it a bit more, but I did notice that for the steps closest to the sub-steps, holding them down showed all of the sub-steps as though they were a chord…

i sent a support ticket to teenage engineering, here is the answer :
"Thank you for the e-mail and glad you’re enjoying the OP-Z.

I’ll let our programmers know about this and we will see if this is something we can resolve in a future firmware update.
"

@pselodux said:
Yeah perhaps it has something to do with the polyphony architecture. I’ll have to play around with it a bit more, but I did notice that for the steps closest to the sub-steps, holding them down showed all of the sub-steps as though they were a chord…

yea def seems like it follows the polyphony for each track. atleast to me anyway.
still making my way thru the device. lots to learn.

Midi in doesn‘t trigger linked tracks like CHORD triggering MOTION.
workaround is to set tracks to the same midi channel.

Okay so there 's another unit here that doesn’t update after safe ejecting the Op-z, then removing the cables, and then nothing. All the trig lights stay green. Didn’t happen before updating firmware.
Man we’re still in beta phase with a half cooked device…even if I love it when it works :slight_smile:

i know this doesn’t help but i’m not having this issue. ejects and updates safely. on latest OS 1.1.12

r u PC or MAC? wonder if that has something to do w/ it?

I can also confirm that device doesn’t reboot and stays with green leds after ejecting it.

@docshermsticks said:
i know this doesn’t help but i’m not having this issue. ejects and updates safely. on latest OS 1.1.12

r u PC or MAC? wonder if that has something to do w/ it?

I’m on PC. Tried with a regular usb2 port, usb3, zip, nada. and it worked with the previous firmware ! Will try reverting.
Man that’s backwards engineering :smiley: