OP-Z Bugs

https://youtu.be/yRHGkKrQBo8

Random crashes
https://youtu.be/dAX6EVGve4U

I posted a weird bug here: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5071/weird-op-z-bugs-corrupt-sample-kits-and-the-headphone-jack#latest

Bad quality rubber screws. I always use my op-z on top of the case but still. Guess it’s going to disintegrate in a couple of months ??
https://instagram.com/p/Br29B0_h6DB/

I stripped one of the yellow screws when using the hidden screw tool + pinched fingers. I emailed TE to see if they could send any replacement ones.

@pedo That may be a HW problem, the way it simply froze all by itself… Note that TE is notorious for disapearing during holidays, I guess you will only get some reply sometime on January… hopefully they will replace your unit.

For anyone having issues with their OP-Z stuck in content mode after ejecting:

Eject the OP-Z by going to “My PC”, right clicking on the OP-Z drive, and selecting eject.

The issue seems to be that ejecting from the shortcut in the toolbar does not work.

This issue has been documented many times in the Facebook group and we really need a sticky as its the most common issue with a known fix apparently.

For anyone having issues with rubber feet being too difficult to undo:

Ideally you don’t want to use sharp objects on them like tools or fingernails, and they should be easy to undo with just some finger pressure and rotation.

Use a rag or tissue paper between your finger and the screw when opening for the first time.
Once you’ve got the back open, each foot is secured with a tiny screw. Loosening this screw loosens the foot. You should change the securing pressure of each foot so that they can easily be rotated with finger pressure but not during normal device usage.

I also notice that key presses are not 100% consistent, and I get retriggering sometimes. Not sure if this is the case for everyone or not, but wiggling the key while it is pressed down seems to fix it.

1 Like

@pedo Thanks for the video documentation. I’m experiencing what I think may be the same issue. My OP-Z appears to turn off intermittently. So far I’ve tried doing a factory reset. Note: I’m on 1.1.17. Let’s hope there’s a fix for this.

I may be wrong but I think the video pedo shared is not applicable to every unit released. I don’t doubt that individual users will have varying experiences and some may have faulty units,
I am also sorry the unit pedo has (and some others it seems) is giving them so much trouble. Were they ordered direct from TE or from a local store?
In Australia, if that was happening with mine, I would return it to the store I bought it from and ask for a replacement that works (which is why I buy stuff like this from a bricks and mortar store, we have legislation that covers the consumer, also most good retailers are decent and would acknowledge the issues and do what the can to make the customer happy) Online ordering is probably a more difficult kettle of fish.

It is stated that the list of faults was taken from this forum. The list has many faults, maybe it is old, maybe things have changed since the last update, maybe some of the faults are unique to some units, maybe it is just poorly researched?

Here is my personal take on some of the issues raised and listed in the video. Please note that like all of us I have been found to be mistaken at times (just ask my wife) but I am always happy to acknowledge when I am wrong if that is proven by varifiable data:

*Sound quality: Meh? - perhaps for you, but I sugget you spend some more time exploring and tweaking. Or perhaps you don’t have very good equipment to run the output through? If you are talking about the built in speaker, then I understand. It’s a small mono speaker, but through appropriate equipment the unit can sound very good so if that’s what you mean please clarify. There are numerous examples out there of some incredibly deep and/or complex sounds that can be made with the OP-Z.
*Bugs? Define TONS? - I have yet to find more than one or two, early bugs have also been addessed by firmware updates.
*No sample trimming?: on the second shift/menu page (green = envelope); the encoders effect the start [green encoder] and end position [yellow encoder] of your sample. Aditionally, the green encoder (when the sample is shortened by adjusting start and end position) will track the ‘playing head’ across the sample. The blue and yellow encoders will adjust attack and release of the sample.
*No current track indication?: Press the program button and the currently flashing track in white is the one that is playing.
*Unstable, it crashes often?: Mine has not crashed once!
*modulation, can’t record modulation wheel changes? I can, I’m not sure what you mean? Try it! Unfortunately changes do not seem to be reflected on the app graphics (for example filter and resonance changes) in real time once recorded, but you CAN hear them as they have been recorded in real time if you are holding the rec button whilst making changes, hopefully a software update might address this.
*Some units encoders popping out? Haven’t heard this on any of the forums yet (admittedly I’ve been busy and haven’t had a chance to check each and every therad of every forum) but if true, how many?
*Not much plug available? Not exactly sure what is meant by this. If you mean the one USB-C port then yes, that is slightly restrictive, but you can control more than one output by either using a hub or computer and being selective with midi channels. So the only one midi channel comment is misleading. Regarding other comments about i/o availability; the release of modules will expand input/output options.
*No tool to create your own presets? You can save your own sounds easily, press track and hold an empty slot until the lights scroll to the end, you now have saved your own preset. You can also load your own sounds connecting to a computer and/or via the configurator in the app.
*BT streaming? I don’t think it was ever advertised as supporting BT audio streaming. THe BT LE is there for app connectivity AFAIK.
*Battery Life: this chestnut has been kicked around a bit. Original publicity (and I’m not sure if it was even “officially released” by TE) stated quite a long battery life, when first released, yes it was not as “supposedly” stated. A firmware update released soon after the unit became available improved battery life. Make of it what you will, but it is what it is. The small form factor of the unit means you can bring along a power bank as well without too much hardship (well for me anyway).
Also some of this units perceived "faults’ may simply be explained by the size/form factor of the unit. There’s only so much that can fit in a small space given current technology. I have no insight into TE’s design team’s decision making but I’m sure they tried to balance form and function to give the best they thought they could.

I’m unable to copy trig settings from one step to another on the FX tracks. Things like the pages of dial settings don’t get transferred. It’s OK on tracks 1-8. Anyone else?

@ArtPunk said:
I may be wrong but I think the video pedo shared is not applicable to every unit released. I don’t doubt that individual users will have varying experiences and some may have faulty units,
I am also sorry the unit pedo has (and some others it seems) is giving them so much trouble. Were they ordered direct from TE or from a local store?
In Australia, if that was happening with mine, I would return it to the store I bought it from and ask for a replacement that works (which is why I buy stuff like this from a bricks and mortar store, we have legislation that covers the consumer, also most good retailers are decent and would acknowledge the issues and do what the can to make the customer happy) Online ordering is probably a more difficult kettle of fish.

It is stated that the list of faults was taken from this forum. The list has many faults, maybe it is old, maybe things have changed since the last update, maybe some of the faults are unique to some units, maybe it is just poorly researched?

Here is my personal take on some of the issues raised and listed in the video. Please note that like all of us I have been found to be mistaken at times (just ask my wife) but I am always happy to acknowledge when I am wrong if that is proven by varifiable data:

*Sound quality: Meh? - perhaps for you, but I sugget you spend some more time exploring and tweaking. Or perhaps you don’t have very good equipment to run the output through? If you are talking about the built in speaker, then I understand. It’s a small mono speaker, but through appropriate equipment the unit can sound very good so if that’s what you mean please clarify. There are numerous examples out there of some incredibly deep and/or complex sounds that can be made with the OP-Z.
*Bugs? Define TONS? - I have yet to find more than one or two, early bugs have also been addessed by firmware updates.
*No sample trimming?: on the second shift/menu page (green = envelope); the encoders effect the start [green encoder] and end position [yellow encoder] of your sample. Aditionally, the green encoder (when the sample is shortened by adjusting start and end position) will track the ‘playing head’ across the sample. The blue and yellow encoders will adjust attack and release of the sample.
*No current track indication?: Press the program button and the currently flashing track in white is the one that is playing.
*Unstable, it crashes often?: Mine has not crashed once!
*modulation, can’t record modulation wheel changes? I can, I’m not sure what you mean? Try it! Unfortunately changes do not seem to be reflected on the app graphics (for example filter and resonance changes) in real time once recorded, but you CAN hear them as they have been recorded in real time if you are holding the rec button whilst making changes, hopefully a software update might address this.
*Some units encoders popping out? Haven’t heard this on any of the forums yet (admittedly I’ve been busy and haven’t had a chance to check each and every therad of every forum) but if true, how many?
*Not much plug available? Not exactly sure what is meant by this. If you mean the one USB-C port then yes, that is slightly restrictive, but you can control more than one output by either using a hub or computer and being selective with midi channels. So the only one midi channel comment is misleading. Regarding other comments about i/o availability; the release of modules will expand input/output options.
*No tool to create your own presets? You can save your own sounds easily, press track and hold an empty slot until the lights scroll to the end, you now have saved your own preset. You can also load your own sounds connecting to a computer and/or via the configurator in the app.
*BT streaming? I don’t think it was ever advertised as supporting BT audio streaming. THe BT LE is there for app connectivity AFAIK.
*Battery Life: this chestnut has been kicked around a bit. Original publicity (and I’m not sure if it was even “officially released” by TE) stated quite a long battery life, when first released, yes it was not as “supposedly” stated. A firmware update released soon after the unit became available improved battery life. Make of it what you will, but it is what it is. The small form factor of the unit means you can bring along a power bank as well without too much hardship (well for me anyway).
Also some of this units perceived "faults’ may simply be explained by the size/form factor of the unit. There’s only so much that can fit in a small space given current technology. I have no insight into TE’s design team’s decision making but I’m sure they tried to balance form and function to give the best they thought they could.

Hi ArtPunk,

It seems it does not happen to all of the units so if your unit it’s working properly it does mean it’s my issues are not true.

The list of bugs i took it from this forum and added a link to this thread on the youtube video and listed them as others.

It was difficult to catch it on video as is totally random but I got the crash. You can see in the comments I’m not the only one with this problem and the Battery life is shit in my unit => https://youtu.be/dAX6EVGve4U

• Modulation wheel I mean you cant record the pitch bend

*No tool to create your own presets: I mean you can only access 2 macros params from the synth engines. I know you can save presets but no with all the params

*Sound quality: Meh : The synth engines are not the best for me. I have a modal Skulpt and its DSP powered and sounds amazing.

*No sample trimming?: I got this wrong but I also say this in the description

*Some units encoders popping out: I got this from this forum Here is the thread if you don’t believe it
=>https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5018/op-z-encoders-popping-out#latest

@tele_pet said:
@pedo Thanks for the video documentation. I’m experiencing what I think may be the same issue. My OP-Z appears to turn off intermittently. So far I’ve tried doing a factory reset. Note: I’m on 1.1.17. Let’s hope there’s a fix for this.

???

@dracokev said:
I also notice that key presses are not 100% consistent, and I get retriggering sometimes. Not sure if this is the case for everyone or not, but wiggling the key while it is pressed down seems to fix it.

Same here. Already wrote TE about it and they said it’s not something the unit should do. Unfortunately haven’t heard from them since…

@mhllr said:

@dracokev said:

Same here. Already wrote TE about it and they said it’s not something the unit should do. Unfortunately haven’t heard from them since…

Good to know that I am not the only one. I have submitted a request as well. If this not normal, then I’d like an RMA!

@mhllr said:

@dracokev said:

Same here. Unwanted double triggers, and the shift button often releases itself though I’m still holding it. Very annoying.

1 Like

@pedo said:

@tele_pet said:

???

I have the same issue. TE not responding. A new one is arriving tomorrow.

@pedo said:

Hi ArtPunk,

It seems it does not happen to all of the units so if your unit it’s working properly it does mean it’s my issues are not true.

The list of bugs i took it from this forum and added a link to this thread on the youtube video and listed them as others.

It was difficult to catch it on video as is totally random but I got the crash. You can see in the comments I’m not the only one with this problem and the Battery life is shit in my unit => https://youtu.be/dAX6EVGve4U

*No tool to create your own presets: I mean you can only access 2 macros params from the synth engines. I know you can save presets but no with all the params

*Sound quality: Meh : The synth engines are not the best for me. I have a modal Skulpt and its DSP powered and sounds amazing.

*Some units encoders popping out: I got this from this forum Here is the thread if you don’t believe it
=>https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5018/op-z-encoders-popping-out#latest

Hi Pedo! Yes, as I said
"I may be wrong but I think the video pedo shared is not applicable to every unit released. I don't doubt that individual users will have varying experiences and some may have faulty units, I am also sorry the unit pedo has (and some others it seems) is giving them so much trouble"

So as you can see, I do acknowledge that just because mine has been operating well for me, yours (and others) may be playing up!
Perhaps English is not your first language, but when you said mod wheel but actually meant pitch bend, I naturally thought you meant mod wheel. It is aknowledged pitch bend cannot be recorded in a pattern.
Also “no tool to create your own presets” reads as that, not “only 2 macros” - all these “I said that but I meant this” leads to a lot of confusion!
Sound quality - as you said, it’s “meh” for you - this is simply a personal opinion, it is NOT a reason for others to avoid buying the OP-Z and is not a bug or a failure.
Encoders popping out - I never said I didn’t believe you! The thread you point to has only 2 (Two) users that report this problem out of all the units released worldwide. These units should be replaced, as yours and others having actual faults that don’t affect most units should be.

I ask again, did you buy your unit online direct from TE or from a store. Either way it seems you deserve a replacement unit. I wish you luck in obtaining one.

@ArtPunk said:

@pedo said:

Hi ArtPunk,

Hi Pedo! Yes, as I said
"I may be wrong but I think the video pedo shared is not applicable to every unit released. I don't doubt that individual users will have varying experiences and some may have faulty units, I am also sorry the unit pedo has (and some others it seems) is giving them so much trouble"

So as you can see, I do acknowledge that just because mine has been operating well for me, yours (and others) may be playing up!
Perhaps English is not your first language, but when you said mod wheel but actually meant pitch bend, I naturally thought you meant mod wheel. It is aknowledged pitch bend cannot be recorded in a pattern.
Also “no tool to create your own presets” reads as that, not “only 2 macros” - all these “I said that but I meant this” leads to a lot of confusion!
Sound quality - as you said, it’s “meh” for you - this is simply a personal opinion, it is NOT a reason for others to avoid buying the OP-Z and is not a bug or a failure.
Encoders popping out - I never said I didn’t believe you! The thread you point to has only 2 (Two) users that report this problem out of all the units released worldwide. These units should be replaced, as yours and others having actual faults that don’t affect most units should be.

I ask again, did you buy your unit online direct from TE or from a store. Either way it seems you deserve a replacement unit. I wish you luck in obtaining one.

Hi @ArtPunk,

I bought it directly from TE. I wrote to C.S. like 2 weeks ago. Hoping to get an answer from them.

Happy new year.