OP-Z - Color Dial Falling out

That will work, but I’m 99% sure that they are using a model cement of some kind. It makes sense as they like to make their stuff easy to work on and that way it should stay in but you can still get them out if you need to replace them. I think as long as you don’t expose it to crazy temperatures it would stay in. There are model cements that are specifically made for plastics and these type of uses. Plumbers tape will work too though but seems alittle ghetto, I would get some model cement. I wish they would say what specific band they use.

I had the exact issue with my green dial. After a few emails with support, where I attached a video to show the what I meant, the asked me to ship it back to them, then received a new one about 2 weeks later.

New one does not have this problem

Was that TE support you emailed directly?

Started the whole process on the support page on their website, then subsequent comms was via email

1 Like

Just bought mine today and I was gutted to see my green an blue encoders coming loose. Thanks for the seal tape trick. I just happened to have some in drawer somewhere - 0.075mm bs7786 1995 grade L - and it worked beautifully. Just sliced it in half to match the height of the encoder’s root, one layer around was enough in my case.

Very helpful tip,
Cheers!

2 Likes

Same for me. One wrap of teflon plumbing tape and reseat the dial - press down firmly and let go and you have a good snug fit, with seemingly smooth, free dial rotation.

Thanks to beton for this very handy solution. Nice woik!

2 Likes

for a 600$ piece of hardware this issue is really unacceptable though

1 Like

i guess the OP-Z was first build with popping encoders in mind, like switching the whole inner part instead of the lego crosses…

maybe TE has changed those plans shortly before release.

just got my OP-Z, reading through manual now, so excited :laughing: I could use warranty to get this replaced for this issue but seems the Teflon job saves time and money. I mean send back a unit because of a bouncy knob that could be fixed with a minimally invasive operation… I suppose its not up to me to say though might I add, taking action yourself to fix the unit in any way VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY :warning:

snug fit, feels like it should. this seal tape tec works great! try not to use too much tape and make sure its a clean job so that no little plastic frillies end up on the circuit board… thanks for the help fam, peace.

1 Like

just an idea: is it a battery in the bottom of each knob? if you glue it, how will you change it when dead?
i’d go with the teflon tape, no glue there.

@eluili Not batteries, look like sensors/ processors of some sort. Important none the less… the Teflon tape is a clean DIY. Just use as little as possible, don’t want any Teflon bits landing down on a hot circuit melting to electrodes. Glad I got to use this tape for something for once in my life lol iv always seen it just laying around.

highly, if not impossibly, doubtful that any teflon tape would fall down and melt. Teflon is the brand name for PTFE poly tetra fluoro ethylene, basically its a plastic. Its the same plastic that is used to coat non stick pots and pans, because of its low coefficient of friction, but also because of its relatively high melting point of 620 degrees F and continuous operational temp of around 500 F.
Also, being a plastic, it’s not conductive and shouldn’t short out any electrodes.

So the idea that pieces could fall down and melt and short out contacts is just not gonna happen. :v:

4 Likes

Roger that! :raised_hands: Thanks for the science behind the tec we’re using to fix our machines; the clarification is soothing. I was just imagining these lil frillies melting all over peoples boards; coulda done more research… Definitely reassuring for all those interested in this DIY rather than sending for a replacement. :pray::call_me_hand:

1 Like

MacGyver would be proud!

3 Likes

Haha some friends used to call me that in high school :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just happened to me last night. Took it out of the case, and the green dial was out. Pushed it back in, but now even shaking it upside down causes it to pop out again.

I’ve been having double trigs for a while, and the unit is bent, so I guess I should contact TE about warranty coverage before it’s too late. Too bad, I do love this little device.

Just had this happen on my op-z… I bought mine 2nd hand about 8 months ago and it’s been fine, I store it in one of those roll up bags. Hadn’t used it in a couple of weeks and today I noticed a few of the encoders are popping up a little. Also seems the unit is now slightly warped /bowed at the ends where the on off switch is. I suspect the issue may be caused by heat, I’m in Victoria Australia and we’ve had a lot of really hot days recently (half the country is on fire at the moment actually), although the unit doesn’t go outside and the ambient temps in our house would probably stay around 25-30 degrees Celsius even when its 40+ outside. Has anyone bothered to get their repaired outside of warranty, and if so how much did it cost? I guess since I got mine 2nd hand I’m out of luck as far as warranty goes… at the moment the encoders are just popping up a bit, not out completely, so I’ll see if it deteriorates further and decide whether to go the DIY route to fix or send it back and stump up the cash…

You can’t send it back. Warranty doesn’t work at TE for second hand units.

Yeah I realise that, I meant to send it back to TE and pay for the repair myself. Ultimately it will probably cost too much to do that (if it is even an option as you say) and I’ll just go the DIY route to fix it