OP-Z - Color Dial Falling out

I bought my OP-Z approx. 2 weeks ago. I spent the 2 weeks going back and forth to the shop. First one had two encoders falling out and was like a banana. Second had really bad back plate. When they opened the 3rd one, 3 encoders fell out of the box :smile: So i took the backplate from the first one and put it on the second one. Ridiculous for almost 600 Eur. A frickin Volca is built better. TE is lucky that the device is so much fun, but if i have to replace it again, iā€™m going to be really pissed.

The encoders popping out arenā€™t like teeth popping out. A little bit of Teflon tape around them seals them back in good as a pro surgeon would do. The magnets seem like something that take time to reverse polarize. Meaning it would make sense if they all passed Quality control and then way later started causing issues. Not something I would hold against TE. I promise though work with it and its pros will far outweigh its quirks. Saving a quirky OP-Z rather than going through new ones until they seem right is like adopting and saving a dog in the shelter rather than buying a new puppy. I canā€™t speak for double trigs, though I think playing style may effect this, based on my experimentation. But the magnet dials are fine if put back in. @mr.base

1 Like

Thanks for the fix! Works great!
Iā€™m keeping my OP-Z :wink:

Great to know that TE is aware of this

guys i figured out what to do with my falling encoders xD make a lil robot with a small magnet

2 Likes

my op-z is pretty bent and to my surprise the green encoder is actually the only encoder that doesnā€™t fall out, i do get double trigs but not as i used to before when i got it in march 2019. maybe some update sorta fixed it? i use mine heavily and i take it everywhere and throw it in my bag with a home made custom case but still a bummer itā€™s bent, iā€™ve been thinking maybe buying an module would prevent it from bending more so the encoders will stay in place?

Just use some silicon adhesive and put it back in.

I think the safer method is using plumbing tape (Teflon).

1 Like

I donā€™tā€¦i think if you do that you are basically using tension top keep it in there and that can change the dimensions of the deviceā€¦ Not to mention it could be very hard to ever get them outā€¦ Silicon adhesive is used on pcbā€™s because it can hold stuff pretty well while still being able to come off easy and not leave a traceā€¦ It is actually pretty perfect for this applicationā€¦ You donā€™t want something that canā€™t be undone if you ever need to work on itā€¦ Plus that is what the manufacturer didā€¦ I donā€™t like just winging things because it will workā€¦they did it with adhesive for a reasonā€¦ You are putting undue stress on it and who knows what that can lead toā€¦

I think you mean Silicone adhesive (sealant), right? If that was what the manufacturer used and is supposed to be perfect for this application, why the dials fell in the first place?

Edit: Be sure to use neutral cure silicone, not the one that releases acetic acid (unsafe).

Because if they used a stronger adhesive you could never get them outā€¦

Yeah that happens. No big deal.
You know the tape that plumbers use? PTFE tape. Take one wind of that and wrap it round the knob inside, then push the dial on top.
Mine came off, I did that trick and it felt so good, i took the others off and did it to them, too. No problems ever since.

1 Like

as Iā€™ve never seen a falling encoder in person I would also recommend the plumber tape and if only one slice is enough there will be no damage to anything within the bearing.

if I were TE I would immediately change the manufacturing process to plumber tape instead of gluing or whatsoeverā€¦

btw. this time theyā€˜ve changed the ā€žfront assetā€œ of my OP-Z which was in for repair because of trigger and bending.

it now feels that theyā€™re using the track button mechanism, at least theyā€˜ve felt different in the past, some kind of more travel by now.

donā€˜t know

1 Like

TE might sell plumber tape as OP-Z accessory in different designer colours soon.

7 Likes

And charge $50 a roll :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes