OP-Z encoders POPPING OUT

hi there!
my op-z just arrived, and I haven’t seen a single video on youtube with the same problem that I have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rlj14-vv4c

the encoders doesn’t touch their ground, it always stays a little bit lifted from the unit.

any toughs on that?

1 Like

Oh yikes, that’s interesting… It’s my understanding that the encoders are attached magnetically, maybe the magnets somehow ended up the wrong way around? I’m sure TE will tell you you’ve got a limited collector’s edition.

2 Likes

@skoomsy said:
Oh yikes, that’s interesting… It’s my understanding that the encoders are attached magnetically, maybe the magnets somehow ended up the wrong way around? I’m sure TE will tell you you’ve got a limited collector’s edition.

ahaha “Anti Gravity Limited Edition”!
see, I live in Brazil. When I purchased it on the website, Brazil was not in the list, so I sent it to a friend in miami. It took like a month to get here. Maybe the magnets got like “polarized” the other way, and it’s been magnetically being lifted off?

Have you tried taking the top part of the encoder out? If you take off the plastic bit (the bit that popped out) you can see the mechanism underneath with the magnet and unless there’s something else going on, you should be able to re-align the magnet with the plastic encoder and push it back into position.

Do the encoders still work? Contact TE support and please let us know what they say.

The encoders are mounted on ball-bearings. You may see that here:

http://boulderhackerspace.com/2018/10/31/teenage-engineering-op-z-teardown/

It seems like yours have some “axial play”, as depicted here:

https://nhbb.com/reference/mini-instrument-bearings/bearing-geometry.aspx

But that much play seems rather unusual. I hope it does not affect the encoder measurements. Maybe you should contact TE and ask about it.

My yellow encoder acts similarly.

@kingof9x said:
Do the encoders still work? Contact TE support and please let us know what they say.

the encoders work well, cuz when I press it, it reaches the bottom and rotates freely, no problem using the parameters

but as soon as I remove my finger over it, it pops out. it seems like its the electromagnets pushing away

@samabr
What did TE say?

@kingof9x said:
@samabr
What did TE say?

still no answer from them. 10 days now.

It looks like the magnets have been incorrectly inserted with the poles aligned to repel.

1 Like

Hi I having the same problem - did you end up getting this resolved?

was the the same for me when i got it new but i just pressed it down and everything was fine

1 Like

First thing: besides being lifted, when I press then and rotate, the encoders work perfectly.

I sent an email to TE. They told me to send it back so they would replace it with a new one.

As for the encoders, when I press them down, they pop up right away. Seems like a magnetic thing indeed.

1 Like

Thanks for your response

I’ve contacted TE but I know they’re snowed under at the moment so not holding my breath for a response. Looks like I’ll need to send back.

Whilst the encoder works it interferes with fine changes, particularly frustrating when playing live

Why are they snowed under? I’m tied of hearing all the excuses for them… in staying to think maybe the are just a bunch of potheads that have no real idea how to make and support products but are just rediculous inventive and lucky. Either that or they really just don’t care and are really greedy people.

3 Likes

Yep starting to think they don’t give a shit! Multiple months and multiple attempts to contact and still Sam shitty automated response = no response.

1 Like

I don’t really have a stance but as a software developer I will say this:
They definitely are very skilled at: product design, electronics engineering and software development. They know how to make products, their product line backs that.

I can’t comment on support as I’ve never needed it. I think that they are simply under staffed with product support and it might be worth investing in that. Just my 2 cents.

I got mine beginning of June, contacted them, sent it back and they just sent out a replacement. It took a bit but they definitely have been on top of it. Sometimes I have to send an email nudge to get an update. Did you go through warrantee support? I didn’t get any automated messages.